Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline FabricationLoad Data
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lyman No.55, but not the way you're accustomed to seeing one

Boolit Grand Master
    One of the first trades I made over 20 years ago with my "brother from a different mother," Dale53 was for one of those early slide-type Number 55s he had owned for many years. I found it a bit less handy to adjust, but wanted it to fill a spot in my collection between the late #5 and the more commonly seen micro adjust #55. Just to show it could be done I also installed a later #55 rotor into an old #5 body I had laying around. The outer diameter of the rotors has been unchanged from the nineteen teens to the newest ones I've checked.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    "A couple of years back, I bought a powder measure weight from a guy that sells them on Ebay".
    Can you tell me what the overall weight is on your accessory? I would think something like that would work on most hopper type measures.
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by mazo kid View Post
    Can you tell me what the overall weight is on your accessory? I would think something like that would work on most hopper type measures.
    The guy on eBay still makes them. He makes them for many different powder measures. Just do a search on eBay and you will find them. I've been wanting to buy one for awhile, but the funds aren't available.

Banned
    Great measures, I have 7. Specially good for ball powders.

Banned
    thanks for the info on the weights. just bought 1 each 55 and rcbs,

Boolit Bub
    How old is this 55? Bought it at a gun show about 15 years ago NIB. I had a 70s vintage 55 when I first got into reloading (in the mid 70s). Traded it off for unknown reasons. This is the one I use most. Also have this Redding, which is also excellent.

I own old Lyman 55, Ideal #1, #5 and duplex #6 powder measures. I use them all for loading occasionally, just for fun. They work very well, but can be tedious to get them set exactly where I want. Once set they do as good as any modern powder measures!
    But I'll stick with my Harrell's Precision for serious loading, as it's way faster, and easier to set up!

I'm glad I found this post, I just acquired one of these in trade...and was going to post a picture and ask about the manufacture year. Actually have it set up, and it throws very consistently. I really like the older reloading components. Thanks for the info guys.
    Mike

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BarkEater View Post
    I'm glad I found this post, I just acquired one of these in trade...and was going to post a picture and ask about the manufacture year. Actually have it set up, and it throws very consistently. I really like the older reloading components. Thanks for the info guys.
    Mike
    I see you are getting on board with how useful having extra powder drops is Good thing I gathered a few before you started swiping them all out from under me..

Hey Dub, don't let my lack of knowledge slow you down in collecting cool old vintagey stuff...I will always have room for a few more of yours. Haha

Boolit Buddy

This thread may be a year old but still a youngster according to the topic. i also have an affair with the 55 and after reading these and seeing the picture of the powder weight inside the hopper is making me to get my tail in gear and turn one out on the lathe to try it. Thank you for your little history lesson.
    We were brothers then, we are brothers now, we are brothers forever. Currahee

Boolit Grand Master

I have a few powder measures, RCBS both uniflow and little dandy, Belding and Mull, Harrels a standard and shutzen model, Old herters, reddings br 30 and a old one with side adjust, And a couple Ive made. I just bought a Lyman 55 converted it to black powder style but haven't used it yet other than to test it.
    The harrels are nice for their accuracy and repeatability. Very accurate with almost any powder and 20 clicks is the same any time you set it there.
    The uniflow has the micrometer adjust upgrade and repeats good but not like the harrels do.
    The Lil Dandy is accurate and a bushing stays the same every time
    The redding br30 is very good and with the micrometer repeats well
    the old reding and herters are accurate the side dials are a pain to set and don't repeat well
    The Belding and mulls are unique in that they use a separate measuring tube. One tube is a pain to reset for different charges but tubes are easy to make and a tube dedicated to each pet or favorite load is very do able and similar to bushings once set they are set.
    The Lymann 55 I upgraded to the aluminum hopper and a custom drop tube, and added a baffle. I squared the slides ends and deburred the slides and bushing also. While I haven't loaded with it I have tested it with f,ff, and 1 1/2f powders throwing 100 charges weighing each one. It did very well and was easy to operate. Setting to a charge can be added by measuring with a set of calipers. The old culiver measures and harrels are upgrades of the lyman 55 with better adjustments to make repeating a setting easier. The Lymann measures do a very good job for the cost. MAke a powder measure sometime and see the work that goes into it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12