Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline FabricationTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWideners
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lyman No.55, but not the way you're accustomed to seeing one

Boolit Buddy

Lyman No.55, but not the way you're accustomed to seeing one

A Lyman No.55 Powder Measure, but without the micrometer adjustment on the powder slides...
    Attachment 200211

Quite literally, not much more than the old Ideal No.5 with a paint job and a clear powder reservoir.

Banned
    That the way they were from '47 till about '53. Memory is lacking coffee this morning.

You can take the micrometer from a newer one and drop it into a #5, creating a 5-55. No fitting necessary.
    Not to be confused with the #5 micrometer model, that is a different horse.

Ken

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Pressman View Post
    That the way they were from '47 till about '53. Memory is lacking coffee this morning.
    Ken
    Coffee deficient or not, your memory serves you well!

I have several such Lyman 55s and while taking a little longer to set, still do an admirable job. These measure have a very interesting history with quite a few changes as they evolved.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Banned
    I don't yet have all the written information from the old #55 Project website, though I do have all the 55's that Gene used for testing and research. Along with all the related Ideal measures he had.
    Ken

I don't yet have all the written information from the old #55 Project website, though I do have all the 55's that Gene used for testing and research. Along with all the related Ideal measures he had.
    Ken
    I hope somebody can post all the information that was on the old #55 Project website. I should have printed it all off but I did not. I think I now have one of every variation from the introduction in 1947 until Lyman sold out. Mine are all functional and in use, but certainly not pristine collector's items.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Banned
    I am still working with Gene to get the information.
    They are all collectors items, some are just prettier than others.
    Ken

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    The 55, no matter the innards, is still my favorite measure,,,,,,,.

6 of them isn't too many, is it?
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Banned
    Only 6, Hamish? The 55 project is 50 #55's

Plus what I already had.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    The 55, no matter the innards, is still my favorite measure,,,,,,,.

6 of them isn't too many, is it?
    Certainly not. I have 11. Get in gear and catch up.

Boolit Master
    the sad thing is when lyman made the reservoir it was good, but as the newer powders with nitro was made it would eat the plastic . the newer type has a different material have one in the gray paint but its just not the same as the orange, works the same ,but it dont look the same

Boolit Master

I've always been comfortable with being a bottom feeder with antique wood working tools and reloading gear, but apparently I'm a bit of a piker too,,,,,,, I guess I could justify a powder drop for every powder I use,,,,,that's logical, isn't it?

Funny the mention of the gray's, it just doesn't "feel" the same when used, something just seems "different", and I don't mean the paint.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Banned
    I agree, that navy gray color just is not right.

Hamish, antique wood working tools is another all consuming hobby, I know. I had to sell my dad's extensive collection last fall for lack of space in my garage. 2500 pounds of tools to an auction site. I was able to keep a half dozen. They can be equally as fascinating as reloading tools.
    Ken

Boolit Master

I like old things. Guns, tools, wood, steel, whatever. I've got my eye on an old iron bed right now. The thing must be close to 100 years old, a little older than I am but not by that much. I don't mind being old but it is unhandy at times. I am restoring an old cartridge box right now. I am slowing cleaning it with saddle soap and hand rubbing. It started out as a "throw it in a trashcan case" but with a couple of hours of patient rubbing and buffing, beneath all that grime I am beginning to see real honest and good condition leather. The leather is a lot better preserved than it first looked and I think it is going to turn out nice once I get finished. Not much value I admit but a labor of love. james

Boolit Master

I'd like to see a photo of that cartridge box.

Boolit Master
    I've got a 55 thats been used by me since 82 ,got a Lee ppm just for the very light loads as it seems more consistent on those small volumes .

As noted, I like the Lyman 55 and have a bunch of them. A couple of years back, I bought a powder measure weight from a guy that sells them on Ebay. I have one that fits my 55s. With this weight in place and with consistent throwing technique the accuracy is outstanding. I have one 55 set for 2.0 grains of Bullseye. Each charge will be 2.0 grains not 1.9 or 2.1 but 2.0. You don't use the knocker with this gizmo. Similar accuracy is expected with the other 55 with this weight in place.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails powder measure weight (480x640).jpg  

Boolit Master

Charles,

When you fill the reservoir, do you "settle" the powder, do you throw a few first, or do you go straight to loading with the weight on top?

Boolit Master

I agree, that navy gray color just is not right.

Hamish, antique wood working tools is another all consuming hobby, I know. I had to sell my dad's extensive collection last fall for lack of space in my garage. 2500 pounds of tools to an auction site. I was able to keep a half dozen. They can be equally as fascinating as reloading tools.
    Ken
    It was a labor of love to make the base, cove, and window moulding in the last addition on the house with my 45.

Stanley 45 that is,,,,,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    Charles,

When you fill the reservoir, do you "settle" the powder, do you throw a few first, or do you go straight to loading with the weight on top?
    I settle the bottom part of the weight on the powder to make it fit flat and I throw about ten charges back into the powder jug before I start throwing for keeps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast