MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackboxLee Precision
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWidenersSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: Daisy Powerline 35

Boolit Master

Daisy Powerline 35

A friend brought one of these over to see if I could fix a loose front sight. After heating up and using a punch to expand the little locator nub on the underside of the muzzle I got the sight to stay straight.
    Sighting it in I was very much surprised to find this little BB only smoothbore was very nearly as accurate as a rifled barrel pellet gun out to 20 yards. At ten pumps its also a fairly high velocity air gun, well over 600 FPS I'm sure.

These are made to be a cheap alternative to the Crosman 760, and is competitive with the most recent 760 airguns.

The construction is very simple and sturdy, the plastic stock is adequate for a child up to mid teens and not hard for an adult to use.
    Wish I'd had one of these when I was ten or twelve.

Anyway as an introductory airgun for kids this is a pretty good choice.

That's got me curious as to how well lead round balls would shoot out of one with a smoothbore like that.

Boolit Master
    I wish you had mentioned that earlier. My friend picked up the 35 about an hor ago. I did not think to try any of my GAMO lead BBs in this gun.
    I did try the lead BBs in my Umarex Colt Peacemaker with smoothbore BB barrel, but at such low velocities I could not determine if there as any advantage in using them.

Boolit Master
    PS
    I tried putting a .177 lead pellet in the chamber of the 35 but the bolt would not close and I had some difficulty in punching it out with a cleaning rod. I guess the bore of this particular gun is barely big enough for steel BBs which seldom mike at more than .175.

I'm going to order some to try in my 392 and the 1377 just for fun.

I found one of thise a while back, but it won't pump up. How hard is it to replace the piston washer on those?
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Master
    "How hard is it to replace the piston washer on those? "
    I have no idea. I'm glad I didn'y have to strip this one down.
    From the looks of it the gun was made for ease of assembly with little thought to disassembly.

You could try soaking the piston with transmission fluid. That usually works.
    BTW remember you have to cock the bolt before pumping. If the action isn't cocked the valve remains open. This is a feature of the Daisy 880 as well. People who forget this sometimes think the gun is broken when its not.

Thanks for the tip! I didn't know that, and I'll check it out.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Master
    growing up my dad only allowed lead BBs.... the steel just bounced to darn much

the cheap daisy air rifles are not bad for the money. Sort of easy to fix. If/when you call daisy for parts get a good list going as they charge a minimum ship charge of like $11. So order several rebuild kits for what ever you have. If you find yourself some day with a draw full of older daisey parts they sell easy on ebay.