MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad Data
RepackboxReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWideners
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2

Thread: General purpose .410 load

Banned

General purpose .410 load

Seems most .410 loads are with small shot, 7 1/2s or less. This makes sense if a guy is going to hunt doves and such with one.

I live on 18 acres of woods and when I'm just messing around or working, I need to start making sure I'm carrying a gun of some sort. While cutting and burning brush the other day, I had opportunity to see quite a few various types of rodents and such I'd rather not have that close to the house. We do have a lot of snakes which don't bother me, but if I were to encounter a venomous one I'd kill it. I have a shoot on sight policy for raccoons and coyotes, and there's always a possibility, though slight, that a two legged varmint may show up unannounced as well.

I bought one of the little Rossi Tuffy shotguns (think Snake Charmer) with the intent of putting some ATV gun racks on the riding lawn mower and carrying while I mow. It's small and light enough that it would be real easy to just carry in the hands while I'm out doing stuff. I haven't even shot this little gun yet, so not sure how it'll work out. I did get some brass .410 shells and read Ed Harris' article on loading them. I also have quite a bit of #5 bird shot, which generally seems to be too big for effective patterns in the .410.

The obvious thing to do would be to carry a big bore revolver with one or two shot capsules and some solids to cover all bases, and sometimes I do. The shot loads would be much less effective than what that .410 would throw and, being honest with myself, I am not a good enough pistolero to be able to hit small, fleeting targets.

Is such a load worth pursuing of should I just buy #6 loads and be done with it?

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    In a .410 pattern effectiveness is limited by the small payload, which limits the number of shot in the pattern. I would not use shot larger than 7-1/2 in the 2-1/2" shell or 6's in the 3" shell, with the possible exception of 00 buckshot for large varmints or defense, IF they pattern well in your gun. I carry 6's in my 20-inch cylinder bore walking around gun, which weighs HALF as much as the Winchester Model 12 riot gun!

Attachment 200192
    Last edited by Outpost75; 07-22-2017 at 04:49 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

I've found that a .410 with 3" number 6s is the single most useful around property gun, but you've the cases and the 5s and they should work fine. Shooting pests around the place is enough different from regular wingshooting or varmint hunting that a .410 loaded with heavier shot that would be a poor choice for them is a perfect choice for it.

For as long as I can recall my two that stayed loaded and out instead of locked in the safe have been a .45 pistol for two legged pests and a .410 shotgun for those with more legs.
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Boolit Master
    I keep a H&R .410 behind the back door, it's one of the most useful and most used pest guns I have. As far as shot size 7.5 is probably best all around due to higher shot count but don't count larger shot out. If I had #5 I load it and learn its limitations. I have loaded #2 just playing around, the pattern is thin but it would penetrate well.

From what I have read and it makes sense, a fast light load will do better than a slow heavy one because of pellet penetration.

I put a sling and an ammo sleeve on my .410 with several different loads so its ready to go.

Boolit Master
    I carry a S&W Govorner with 410 loads made from 444 Marlin Brass and 45 Colt. The ammo is loader with three of each loader alternately. The 410 is for snakes and the 45 Colt for hogs at the hunting lease. Have shot more snakes than hogs. Lots of Copper Heads not any rattle snakes yet.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by beemer View Post
    I keep a H&R .410 behind the back door, it's one of the most useful and most used pest guns I have. As far as shot size 7.5 is probably best all around due to higher shot count but don't count larger shot out. If I had #5 I load it and learn its limitations. I have loaded #2 just playing around, the pattern is thin but it would penetrate well.

From what I have read and it makes sense, a fast light load will do better than a slow heavy one because of pellet penetration.

I put a sling and an ammo sleeve on my .410 with several different loads so its ready to go.
    That's a good idea. The little Tuffy has a compartment in the butt that holds five, I think. I could carry a few different ones.

I do have another .410, an old Iver Johnson that was found in the house when a relative passed away. Nobody in the family remembered ever having seen it, so no idea the history of it, but I'm sure it's a full choke and has a fairly long barrel. Nice little gun, I need to work with it some, but I don't think it would be as useful as the Rossi for what I'm looking to use it for.

Hey richhodg66
    My experience does not cover brass hulls. However, I load a lot of plastic and vinyl hulls just for what you ask about. My favorite is a 2" hull cut down from anything I might have scrounged. Loading 3" shells only happens seldom for me upon request from a friend. Your #5 shot can be made to be effective but does present some challenges. A full choke 410 generally produces worse patterns as distance and shot size increases. Loading the #5 shot by a third or a fourth at a time with some tapping and attention to its consolidation will greatly improve performance. For larger shot and close range, #8 or #9 trickled into the voids will give astounding results. Coyote go down with a single chest hit of these at up to 50 feet. Raccoon get a second shot as standard MO. My loads come off a MEC sizemaster with a small percentage of them still produced using an old Lee hand whack a shell. The venerable 410 has been a favorite of mine for 50+ years and I have been loading, shooting them for that long. Holler for any assistance that I might be of.
    Roy
    Shoot often, Shoot well.

Banned

I had thought about the possibility of using different sizes of shot, maybe one pellet of a large buckshot and fill the rest with smaller shot. As long as you didn't exceed to weight of shot in a given load, it seems like it would be OK?

I think I'm going to get this little gun out this evening and do some informal patterning with the factory shells I have.

Boolit Master
    I have shot a few raccoons with a 410 - factory 3" #5's. A couple DRT, all stopped allowing a second when needed/desired. For a 'farm 410' they work OK. The 410 is seldom my 1st choice for almost anything.

Boolit Master
    I have also loaded a few ultra light loads, hulls with worn out crimps are cut to 2 inches. The load is similar to what is used in a 38 shot shell, 4 grs. of Unique and 45 grs. of #9 shot. I made these for close to the house or out building, haven't used them yet but they do pattern better than a pistol and are not loud.

I haven't used my brass .410 shells but have used some 444 hulls. I reworked a couple of punches and make my own wads.

Working with a .410 has been fun as well as useful and as I get older I tend to pick guns that don't beat me to death.

Dave

Boolit Master
    Off topic but related in sentiment: a 28 gauge single shot would really shine and still be light weight.

Banned

Not sure where I'd find a little single shot 28.

This is the shotgun in question; http://www.rossiusa.com/hot_items_tuffy.cfm

I managed to get it out and shoot a pattern on a 2'x2' piece of white paper with a one inch bullseye in the middle, distance was probably 15 yards or a hair more. I haven't counted pellet holes, but the Winchester 2 1/2" load of sixes put most in an 18: circle. The pattern seemed a bit to the right, but that was probably me trying to shoot it like a pistol (I'll have to work with it and see how best to point and shoot it). For something really small like a rat, that pattern was pretty loose, but a rabbit or similar would have been dead. Snakes wouldn't be engaged at that far away. I know I have more .410 shells around, I'll try some 7 1/2s and compare pattern densities and such to see what works best.

No idea what the choke is in this, I'm guessing cylinder. It's a pretty neat little gun.

Boolit Master
    I had a 32ga when I was a teenager and never shot anything but BB shot from it. It usually patterns well and is good enough for small to medium game. I shot a bunch of coop raiding possums and feral dogs with this load. However it failed me once on a feral dog. 410 would take this shot size well, also if available, #F (.22) size in brass cases stacks in 2 rows. Throw some #6, slugs and some 000 buckshot in your bag and your pretty much well covered

Boolit Master

Wife has her own Stevens 94 single .410 hanging by the door.
    Tac light on the barrel, cartridge sleeve on the stock.
    Buckshot in back, 7.5 up front.
    Coons or goons, she's good to go.
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919