RepackboxSnyders JerkyWidenersReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision

Thread: Had my hands on a new Marling Custom 1894 the other day.

Had my hands on a new Marlin Custom 1894 the other day.

I saw a new Marlin Custom Shop 1894 in .45 LC the other day at one of my favorite gun shops

The fit and finish on the gun was excellent and It ran smoother than the regular guns but could still use a little more TLC.

I was impressed with the wood and wood finish and the metal work was really nice too. This gun was as nice as any Winchester I have seen, and for $1500 it should be.

This one also had the Marlin Logo with the Horse Rider inlaid in Gold on one side.

They are definitely worth a look if you are into nicer guns. Here's the factory pic.

https://www.marlinfirearms.com/lever...894-le-45-colt

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 07-23-2017 at 05:33 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Moderator Emeritus

I've always wanted one with e-nickeled receiver, barrrel band and maybe lever (after bead blasting), highly polished barrel and fiddleback maple stock and forend. Yeah, I know it'd be kind'a gaudy, but who among us wouldn't like one this way? And if I could find an old Marlin in .357, I may very well create one, too! They're scarce as hen's teeth around here! And the internet price is more than I want to pay for one, too. Sheesh! The road to guns we've coveted for so long is never easy, is it?

Thanks for the report on their custom shop. I can't help it. It may be partly due to being an old phart, but that sure is a lot of money for what ought to be to start with, IMO. And being a long term miser, it's hard to part with what some guns cost these days. I passed up a really, really nice stainless Rossi in .357 that had the slickest from-the-factory action I've ever had my hands on. I've kicked my own mental derierre many, many times since then. Hasn't helped. And NOW .... they're even pricier!!!! I can't win for losing! But I keep watching. If something doesn't die pretty soon, I'm gonna' strike out and "kill" one myself! This waiting is gettin' to me!!!

BW: I kind of mis-spoke when I said "Custom Shop." This was just a nicer model not a true Custom Shop gun.

The Actual Custom Shop Guns start at $3750.00!!!

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

Boolit Master
    Wow! That's very nice, I bet they sell out of those fast!

Boolit Master

Showed the picture to my wife. She reminded me she had a birthday coming up, but it is about $1350 more than I can afford to spend on her.

Boolit Master

1:38” twist rate?
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    1:38” twist rate?
    I noted that too on the specification details.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Super Moderator

.............Nice that it doesn't have all that extra forend wood on it.

............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

For that price, it better have real hand cut checkering instead of that garbage they mass-produce with machines. Better yet, NO checkering.

Options for longer and octagonal barrels would be nice too.

My 24" Rossi 92 in .45 Colt has 1:38 rifling, works great!

Boolit Master
    Handsome looking rifles. Although I'm not all that fond of hoods encompassing front sites.
    But I'm a bit curious. Do such pistol cartridge shooting Marin's {1894} require a smaller in size receiver when compared to a standard rifle?

No doubt if I needed a handy quick pistol cartridge shoot'in rifle. 45 Colt Marlin 1894 would be at the top of my list.

Quote Originally Posted by OverMax View Post
    Do such pistol cartridge shooting Marin's {1894} require a smaller in size receiver when compared to a standard rifle?
    Yes, their 94, 336, and 95 are each a different size scaled to their cartridges.
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Landy88 View Post
    Yes, their 94, 336, and 95 are each a different size scaled to their cartridges.
    The 1894 was designed around the 32/20, 38/40 and 44/40 class of cartridges so it's perfect for any of the current or common revolver cartridges. I either had or still have an 1894 in 25/20, 32/20, 357 Magnum and the 45 Colt. Operation and reliability was/is perfect in all of them.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Bub
    I would love to have that in 32-20.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I was interested, and then I noticed the fat forend with a yawning gap between it and the receiver on the "custom" 1894. Oh Remlin...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Marlin1894_1200x250_1.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	14.8 KB 
ID:	200735
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

They're all a little different, but in the photos they sure put some nice wood on them.

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    I was interested, and then I noticed the fat forend with a yawning gap between it and the receiver on the "custom" 1894. Oh Remlin...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Marlin1894_1200x250_1.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	14.8 KB 
ID:	200735
    The fore end on a Marlin Lever gun needs to fit loose with some play fore and aft. This is a common accurizing step with these guns. If it fits tight as the gun heats up the shots string upwards. All mine had it done to them while I was doing the action and refinish work. .030-.060 is enough to alleviate this problem. Bottom end of this looks better.

I talked to one of the Remington big wigs at SHOT last year and he told me they are looking at changing the twist rate on these guns, but major changes like this take along time to get thru engineering as they don't want to have to go back if it doesn't work out. Everybody in the gun industry is beating on them to do this, but you'll notice Winchester hasn't changed theirs either.

Virtually all .44 Pistols have 1:20 barrels but this is because they don't develop as much speed due to the short barrels and also they have a pressure relief gap between the cylinder and barrel to control pressure.

Leverguns have to control pressure by using looser bores .431 vs .429 because the breech is closed and there is no place for excess pressure to bleed off but down the barrel.

All the Ruger 77/44's have 1:20 twist barrels on them, but they are also bolt action guns which are much stringer actions than any levergun. They aren't any significant amount more accurate than the 1:38 twist barrels in the Marlins. My standard 22.0 gr of H110 and .260 gr 429244's run at about 1600 fps out of my 1894 CB with a 24" bbl and they are more than accurate enough out to 200 meters to shoot Silhouette with.

At normal hunting distances these guns are more than accurate enough for accurate shot placement on anything in N/A or ? I wouldn't hesitate to take a 100 yard shot on any game animal with mine as long as I was off a rest of some kind. Probably won't take a 200 yard shot on anything but a Steel Ram.

A 260 gr boolit does give you some leeway as to exact shot placement.

Randy

Boolit Grand Master

On a Marlin 1500 is kind of hard to justify. I got a dandy original Marlin with a mint bore for $1200. My last new marlin was a 38-55 and it went south in a hurry with a very oversize bore. I did do a conversion with a dust cover installed on a Cowboy and a old style stock that looked just like an original 1893.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Randy, I have no doubt that you are correct. Still, no wiggly forends allowed on my lever actions. They are all more accurate than my shaky hands can produce anyway. I think the endcap and tenon style forend with a short mag tube is most accurate on a lever action. Among all the rifles in my battery, my cheapo Marlin Glenfield 30 is second in accuracy only to my heavy barrel .257 Roberts.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Quote Originally Posted by ulav8r View Post

Showed the picture to my wife. She reminded me she had a birthday coming up, but it is about $1350 more than I can afford to spend on her.

And, your point is ? . .

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride