Inline FabricationReloading EverythingWidenersRepackbox
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Load Data

Thread: What did I just buy?

Boolit Buddy

What did I just buy?

OK, ye gurus of vintage hand tools...

Not in my hands yet, photo is from seller...
    I know it's a L. E. Wilson, and I know it does something to a .30-06, but...

What have I just bought?
    Attachment 200154

Boolit Grand Master

Looks like a seater or sizer die for 30-06. These were used with a small ahrbor press or in a vise. ( Bottle cappers were a big one to convert for these also). For a long time these were considered the best most accurate des for loading

Boolit Master
    Looks like their F-L sizing die, I dont think they offered it as a neck sizer . I had one in .250 Savage so they must have been made in a variety of calibers.

Boolit Grand Master
    Think of it as a "Lee Loader for the Carriage Trade."

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks, guys! When it's finally in my hands, I'll post back and let y'all know what I find out, seater or sizer or what.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Interesting!

I just had to post a bit of personal trivia. Likely of no interest but to me, but...

I graduated from Cashmere High School. The Wilson "factory" consisted of one cement block building about 30x50. I walked by it every day. They also had a small out building that was attached to a long pipe with a small hut on the other end for a shooting range. The pipe ran under school property and the target hut was also in the middle of school property on the edge of a ball field. The pipe was mostly buried by dirt pushed over from a higher parking lot that was above and adjacent the ball field. The impact area was more of the same cut bank area. At the time it was as normal as could be, but I do not know if it is still that way or not given the political climate. My best friend was a helper there after school, deburing, heat treating and/or case hardening small parts.

I cannot see the L. E. Wilson stamping without thinking of those great bygone days.

The photo in my avatar was taken less than ten miles from the factory.

Thanks for indulging my ramble down memory lane.

Boolit Buddy
    Corbinace, I quite enjoyed your trip down the lane! I can't imagine a firing range being allowed anywhere near, much less crossing, school property these days

Thanks for sharing!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by corbinace View Post
    I just had to post a bit of personal trivia. Likely of no interest but to me, but...

I graduated from Cashmere High School. The Wilson "factory" consisted of one cement block building about 30x50. I walked by it every day. They also had a small out building that was attached to a long pipe with a small hut on the other end for a shooting range. The pipe ran under school property and the target hut was also in the middle of school property on the edge of a ball field. The pipe was mostly buried by dirt pushed over from a higher parking lot that was above and adjacent the ball field. The impact area was more of the same cut bank area. At the time it was as normal as could be, but I do not know if it is still that way or not given the political climate. My best friend was a helper there after school, deburing, heat treating and/or case hardening small parts.

I cannot see the L. E. Wilson stamping without thinking of those great bygone days.

The photo in my avatar was taken less than ten miles from the factory.

Thanks for indulging my ramble down memory lane.
    Great reminisce. Makes the Wilson story more real for me. Thanks for sharing.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    That is a full length hand die. I have one in 6x47 Remington.

Quote Originally Posted by jrmartin1964 View Post
    OK, ye gurus of vintage hand tools...

Not in my hands yet, photo is from seller...
    I know it's a L. E. Wilson, and I know it does something to a .30-06, but...

What have I just bought?
    Attachment 200154
    EDG

Banned

we had 2 rifle ranges at our HS.
    one ran under the football field to the west and the heat from it would melt a 15' wide strip of snow right at the 50 yd line.
    the other one ran to the south and was only used for 22's and pellet rifles but it was directly underneath a couple of class rooms.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    When I was in school, they still taught gun safety and shooting. They had a large rolling "trap" - about ten feet long - steel with sand in the bottom that was in the gym of the old high school (torn down and no longer thee). Back then, I doubt there were very many of the boys that didn't have a pocket knife of some kind in their pocket as well and I don't ever remember a problem. Now, they would have to provide a safe room with hot chocolate and coloring books for those kids "traumatized" but such things!

corbinace - enjoyed your memories! Maybe it's a sign of getting old but it just seems like things were so much better in those days . . . . . come to think of it, maybe that's why so many of us like the older hand loading tools and using them . . . reminds of of "better times"? LOL

Boolit Grand Master

At 11, I rode my bike to school with my trusty 22 strapped to the handle bars. The principal kept the rifle behind the office door till I left with it to hunt squirrels on the way home.
    Most of the boys had knives and many carried 22 ammo in their pockets.
    Fist fights usually ended with a hand shake, and most boys pants had holes in the knees from playing marbles.
    Such criminal behavior would cause everyone to faint today.
    The times, they are a changing, but not for the better.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Grand Master

Wilson "hand dies" are considered the ultimate dies by many precision shooters. They aren't "carriage trade" or "vintage" as they are still in my Sinclair catalog. In my catalog the bullet seater die is about $50.00 and the neck sizing die about $5.00 more. Also offered is a "micro adjustable" seater die for a bit over $100.00. My shooting isn't "precise" enough for this quality of tools...

When I was in Jr. High (in the ghetto) we made "zip guns" secretly in metal shop...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    That is a full length hand die. I have one in 6x47 Remington.
    Thank you, EDG!