Titan ReloadingWidenersRepackboxLee Precision
Load DataSnyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cast Bullet Manuals

Boolit Buddy

Cast Bullet Manuals

I have a Lyman 3rd edition and RCBS 1st edition cast bullet manuals, are there others ? I have some RCBS SIL moulds, some Lyman pistol molds, so there is some info that helps in their manuals. I also have some Saeco molds and can't find data for them. One in particular is a Saeco 021 .458 cal mold that I want to use with my TC Contender 45-70 and my 1874 Sharps 45-70. Does anyone have any data for this mold? It is strange that Redding/Saeco does not have a manual.
    Is the Lyman 4th edition a worth while improvement over the 3rd edition?

Banned
    Here is a link to a bunch of free online sources for load data http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...=1#post4086919

This link, in particular, has a bunch of sources, but is not the easiest to navigate https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%...%21238&o=OneUp This link has many sources in it including Lyman Cast Bullet #3

I find bullets that look similar, use their starting data and work my way up/down from there

While I'm new to casting, I'm not new to loading; the the Lyman and RCBS are the only cast specific manuals that I've found. LaserCast does have a manual out only for their commercial cast bullets, but that's not really the same, somehow.
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Boolit Grand Master

Lyman recently ...2010 ! , holey moley that's 7 years ago... okay , not too long ago , came out with Cast Bullet Handbook 4th Edition . The Lyman #3 , #4 and RCBS are my first go to books.
    The older Speer manuals have a surprising amount of cast boolit data, like the Speer #8, in it they are listed as "cast" along with speer's swaged boolits . The cast designs seem to be Lyman designs that were popularly loaded then .
    Those are about all the cast specific books I know of . I still use the Speer #8 for getting data for cast, but I usually stay away from the #8's maximum loads .

Speer #9 and Speer #10 has data for Speer's line of swaged lead boolits and few for cast, but the data is still very helpful.

Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Speer #9 and Speer #10 has data for Speer's line of swaged lead boolits and few for cast, but the data is still very helpful.

Gary
    While it won't help the OP with a .45-70, isn't that swaged data good for cast?

I thought, that it just tops out early due to the alloy and lube limits of the swaged bullets; but is perfectly usable for light load and starting load data.
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Boolit Master
    If you have the Lyman 3rd edition I wouldn't bother with the 4th edition.The actual load data is pretty much the same.

Boolit Master

KenT7021,

NO IT'S NOT !

The 4th edition has loading data for RCBS, SAECO & LEE MOLDS.

There is also a cross over chart on which LYMAN top punches fit best on these molds.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Moderator Emeritus

Some think the Lyman #3 is better.
    Some think the Lyman #4 is better.

I prefer the Lyman #4, but I also have a #3 and it's data has some other powders that the #4 doesn't list. I believe that having both is a great asset to someone who is at least knee-deep into this hobby.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post

There is also a cross over chart on which LYMAN top punches fit best on these molds.
    Oh great! I was perfectly happy with my 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Editions; and now I HAVE to have a 4th Edition!

Boolit Master
    Does the #4 have any data for some of the newer powders out there?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Thundarstick View Post
    Does the #4 have any data for some of the newer powders out there?
    No, copyright is 2011. The loads are predominately tried and true powders.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    No, copyright is 2011. The loads are predominately tried and true powders.
    I will start will lead RCBS 405 FN RCBS data, should be about the same weight and both are gas check. Thank you for everyone's input

Boolit Master
    I found a reprint of Lyman #2 at a gun show. Listed powders that are no longer available but also had loads for older molds. All useful information.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Quote Originally Posted by odette View Post
    I have a Lyman 3rd edition and RCBS 1st edition cast bullet manuals, are there others ? I have some RCBS SIL moulds, some Lyman pistol molds, so there is some info that helps in their manuals. I also have some Saeco molds and can't find data for them. One in particular is a Saeco 021 .458 cal mold that I want to use with my TC Contender 45-70 and my 1874 Sharps 45-70. Does anyone have any data for this mold? It is strange that Redding/Saeco does not have a manual.
    Is the Lyman 4th edition a worth while improvement over the 3rd edition?

Odette, I went looking to see what was in my resource shelves and only thing I was able to come close on for what you are looking for was this.(see images). This is a pretty old book since it was only 10.95 when it came out and the RCBS with the big green machine was used on it's cover. This book is also the first published by DBI for the metallic reloader, so I know it is a older book. Anyways, the data for cast at this time of publication under the 45/70 section did not even include a name or brand of mould, just the basic weight. As mentioned in this book, this "LOAD DATA IS FOR NEW MARLIN LEVER AND RUGER AND BROWNING SINGLE SHOT RIFLES ONLY" so, the 385 grain cast has a starting load of 42.0 grains of IMR 3031 and a max of 48.0 grains. I would source other manuals with a like shape and bearing surface as the Seaco 021 you want to use. There are some load data for the Seaco 020 out there in some of the older books but that is in the area of a 500 grain boolit, not in the weight class of your Seaco 021 mould.

THE ONLY OTHER THING TO KEEP IN MIND, IS, HOW IF AT ALL THIS POWDER 3031 HAS CHANGED OVER THE YEARS. WHICH IS WHY I SUGGEST OTHER RESOURCES FOR VERIFICATION ON GRAINS OF 3031 PUSHING CAST IN THE 400 RANGE.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    KenT7021,

NO IT'S NOT !

Ones not "better" than the other, #4 just has some different moulds , Lee , RCBS etc. , and some of the newer powders and a few new cartridges...at the expense of a few older cartridges.
    The best deal is to have both , if you can.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    I wish each manufacturer would just sell a manual for their moulds and be done with it. They would probably sell tons of them...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by sukivel View Post
    I wish each manufacturer would just sell a manual for their moulds and be done with it. They would probably sell tons of them...

They are not going to go through the process of load development. That's a high cost for no return on their end. The reason bullet manufacturers do it is to sell bullets. Their ROI is high in this regard.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by sukivel View Post

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    They are not going to go through the process of load development. That's a high cost for no return on their end. The reason bullet manufacturers do it is to sell bullets. Their ROI is high in this regard.
    Honestly, for that reason, I am amazed that Lyman still produces Load data, but I am surely glad they do.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Honestly, for that reason, I am amazed that Lyman still produces Load data, but I am surely glad they do.
    I think the main reason they do is because of all the history behind it. When you've been producing them that long you'd upset a lot of people if you did. I am not a fan of Lyman manuals but I'm glad they still produce them. Every time a new one comes out I buy it.

Boolit Master
    If you look at Lyman's product line, reloading manuals make perfect sense.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast