Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: Pewter pile size shrank

In Remembrance

Pewter pile size shrank

My eldest daughter and her family spent a week up here from Va. I had wanted to give the Daughter a coffee/tea pewter set while they were here. The 2 Grandaughters are 21 and 24 and were curious about the boxes of pewter I had in my casting barn. As the 3 of them went thru the boxes they put aside items the wanted to keep from the smelt furnace. When all was sorted and the boxes replaced I was about 35 +/- lbs. of pewter items lighter. This proves that I`m not as bad a SOB as most people seem to think I am. Heck, I even packaged it all up and shipped 2 boxes back to Va for them! My biggest problem though was prying my SIL`s hands off the steering wheel of my mid-size Kubota tractor!Robert

Boolit Master
    I hope your "gift" took care of birthdays and Christmas. I also hope they don't send you pictures of the gifts melted. I gave my sister some old/historic pieces and still haven't seen them displayed.

Bring it home...smash it with a hammer before you do anything else.

Boolit Grand Master

Good on You! You probably still have plenty. I'd probably put up more resistance over the Kubota.

Boolit Buddy
    "was prying my SIL`s hands off the steering wheel of my mid-size Kubota tractor!"

Quick! Go check on your guns. Are they still where you put them?

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Lol. I wish I had 35lbs of pewter.lol!

I have been learning while collecting in the last two weeks to melt it as soon as you find it or it seems to find a home...or someone has a melt down hearing it's going to get melted down.

Boolit Master
    I have some snack bowls and steins that I can't bring myself to melt. Now those ugly candle holders with the petrified dinosaur poop in bottom are no problem. Same for the creamers and ewers.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

Boolit Bub
    I've learned a few things after being married. First is if it stays out of place it gets thrown away or put somewhere to never be seen again in the foreseeable future. My own fault for marrying a woman with severe OCD. Secondly anything I bring in the house that I don't want questioned bring straight to the reloading/casting rooms, leave them in the bag or box while transporting, and all will be safe. However, if I stop on the way, items are subject to be questioned and or repurposed for her own use. Especially pewter or cast iron.

Quote Originally Posted by jarhead0321usmc View Post
    I've learned a few things after being married. First is if it stays out of place it gets thrown away or put somewhere to never be seen again in the foreseeable future. My own fault for marrying a woman with severe OCD. Secondly anything I bring in the house that I don't want questioned bring straight to the reloading/casting rooms, leave them in the bag or box while transporting, and all will be safe. However, if I stop on the way, items are subject to be questioned and or repurposed for her own use. Especially pewter or cast iron.
    I just give her first pick, then push her to take some I like, pretty soon since I have "no taste or design sense" she rejects all my pewter out of hand as "doesn't go with her design". If it is a heavy enough piece however I'm a gonna kick it across the parking lot to the car to INSURE no one wants it.

I too have kept a few pieces I really liked, candle holder with glass chimney, stein, nice little change dish. But then I have enough it isn't like I'm going to really miss a few pieces. Still 35# would be a lot to give up.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

My wifey picks up the pewter for me. Once she inserted a picture of herself in one of the smaller picture frames. The only thing that has kept it from going in the pot

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jarhead0321usmc View Post
    I have one of those wives also. Works great mostly as I am a slob, in 46 years I have not cleaned window's, floors, curtains or any thing else that looks messy.

I handled my man area with a locked door and she is not allowed in it without supervision!

Some afflictions are handy if you know what I mean.

In Remembrance

I came up with the 35 +/- lb number from the total weight of 41 lb for both boxes and some paper packing. The Granddaughters are now asking about some of the other pieces they didn`t set aside. I`ll probably find the requested pieces and send them down to them since these girls are my only grand kids we`ll have and might as well let them think kindly of me, hopefully. By `Kentucky guessin`I still have about 150 +/- lbs. left unsmelted.Robert