Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingLoad DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision

Thread: New Powders and Cast Rifle Data?

Boolit Master

New Powders and Cast Rifle Data?

I'm fairly new to the cast rifle game, but it seems to me like a lot of the listed powders are discontinued, or have changed formulations. It's Blue Dot of the list now? Are there any good sources for the newer pistol and shotgun powders used in cast rifle?

Banned

no.
    but that ain't the end of the world.
    there ain't no reload data for the majority of the molds we use anyway.

look at it like this.
    you want to use say the new 'red' from hodgdon or Promo from Alliant.
    they are both close enough to red-dot to use it's data.
    that was of course an easy example but your gonna be safe using loads with similar burn speed powders in place of the powder data you do have.
    use your head and work up from the bottom, we are not trying to get to 60,000 psi.
    [for the most part]

Boolit Master
    I use a lot of W231 and HP-38 for my cast rifle loads. They are pistol powders that are somewhat slower burning than many of the older powders mentioned in the Lyman cast bullet handbook (700x, PB, red dot, bullseye, etc). I work my loads up carefully starting with the start load for one of the older, slightly faster, powders. The other thing I do is pick a start load for 700x, which I have, then when I'm sure it is working for my rifle I switch to W231 or HP-38 and work up (I pick on W231 and HP-38 because they meter much better than 700x).
    Hick: Iron sights!

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    WST and Red Dot work really well for plainbased, subsonic gallery loads in the .30-'06, about 8.5-9 grains with 150-165 grain bullet.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Red Dot and Promo are both readily available online. Only problem is you need to buy in enough quantity to lower the hazmat costs.

I think my last 8 lb jug of Red Dot from BPI was 22.50$ per pound to my door all fees and shipping included.

As far as loads, it depends on what your needs are.

For punching paper, plinking try 4.6 grains of Red Dot behind a standard for caliber cast. IE .357 mag I use 158 gr .358 plain based round nose.

Above that caliber wise your into .444marlin territory and I have had great luck with 6 to 13 grains.

I have shot the 4.6 grain load as far down as the .223 rem with the 55 gr bator boolit no gas check. With gas check I went a little higher, into the 6 grain range.

Just think first. Watch your loading procedures. Don't want a double charge.

My shooting partner watched me filling powder once. 2 blocks, emptys base up showing primers. (Yes I have put powder in brass without primers before)

Second block for the charged cases on the right.

Pick up ONLY on the left, charge it, deposit on right. When done verify charges with flashlight.

My buddy could not believe I was being that anal.

Yeah, but screw up once and its maybe a new gun, or a funeral, or missing pieces.
    Pays to be careful. Especially with the faster powders.

Boolit Master
    You better bet I've got a flashlight on my loading bench! Slow target pistol loads with Bullseye are susceptible to a double charge like the cast rifle loads!

For what I do for no double charge is to after i prime the cases. I flip them up side down. and have on one side of me and then charge them .it stop the double charge.it works for me.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    OK, check on the double charges. Would another good rule be to stay away from the upper side of these pistol/ shotgun powders. If you want more velocity move to a slower powder?

Yep.

For slow use fast powder, for fast use slow powder.

All depends on what you need, what your looking for. Me I love pulling the trigger on a load that cost me a couple penny's worth of powder, 3-4 cents for primer and 2-4 cents for lead for the boolit.

But sometimes you need the full house real deal and are willing to pay for it.

Hard to beat a good slow powder when you do.

Boolit Master
    My method to make sure no double charges.Dump in powder,seat bullet/boolit.Might take a little longer,but have never DCd a case yet.Knock on wood.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck