Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
RepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: My first lead score

My first lead score

I got my first bit of lead yesterday. I went to a local junkyard and the guy running the show said I could take all the wheel weights I wanted, but I had to harvest them my self. It was about 95 and humid as I'll get out so I only spent about an hour picking. It was fun but it won't be my primary source. I'll be getting a lead pot later this week so I can finally start casting. I got about 5lb or so.

The hunt for lead can be as addicting as casting and shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Retumbo View Post
    The hunt for lead can be as addicting as casting and shooting.
    It did bring back memories of picking berries and hunting for cool rocks when I was a kid. I'll ha e to go back on a cooler day.

Boolit Grand Master

Congratulations on the Score! Gotta love summer in the South! Its gotten hot here too, in the last week. We have had a pretty mild summer though. That could be a good source for you. Take the Guy a box of doughnuts, get you a set of wheelweight pliers and go back to that yard. Look at his pile of wheels too! Pay special attention to any big trucks or truck wheels. The right tool will make pulling those weights much faster and easier. Also, see if he has any heavy equipment, like old fork lifts, that have counter weights. Most are iron, but a few were lead. Same thing on any old machine shop tools. Pay attention for any junk race cars. A pair of side cutters will easily cut off any battery cable ends that you see unattached.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Start hitting all the tire shops in the area and ask for them. All they can say is no.

Banned
    How much did they charge for the WW

Quote Originally Posted by Grmps View Post
    How much did they charge for the WW
    He didn't charge me anything for what I got, but we agreed on $20 for a 5 gallon bucket full, all I have to do is pick it my self.

Good find! I have harvested WW from old junkyards. I usually show up in the afternoon with a cold 12 pack of something. A WW pliers is a necessity.
    NRA Benefactor Member

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Spoonerism View Post
    He didn't charge me anything for what I got, but we agreed on $20 for a 5 gallon bucket full, all I have to do is pick it my self.
    Thats not a bad deal, really. You can cull the iron and zinc as you pull them so you will be buying only lead weights. If you are young and healthy enough this could be a good deal for you.

Congrats!

And Retumbo is right, it can be addicting.

Boolit Bub
    Congrats. Kiss your sanity goodbye and welcome to an addiction like know other. Soon you'll find yourself combing the local second hand stores. Asking friends for hookups with roofing companies or plumbers. Sifting the local berms for range scrap. There is always lead to be found. And you have the perfect mentality being willing to put some work into acquiring it. The next step is figuring out how to get it faster.