MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad DataLee Precision
Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: 223 Reduced Loads, Light Bullets, Twist Rates...

Boolit Mold

223 Reduced Loads, Light Bullets, Twist Rates...

There is an article that piqued my interest inthe 2016 Hodgdon Annual about reduced loads with light bullets.

The writer tried to duplicate 22 Mag and light 22 Hornet loads with the 223. He used 40gr Hornady VMax over 6.0gr HP38 with a CCI 500 primer.

2 test rifles were used. One with a 1:12 twist and the other a 1:9.

Tested accuracy to 50 yards were all within 1". Obviously better with the slower twist, almost near .5" groups.

This interested me because my AR is my primary hunting/varmint gun these days and I have all of the components to try this myself.

I bought a box of 40gr vmax but have yet to use them. The only concern I have is that my barrel is a 1:7, however it is only 16" and it does well with 55gr loads.

Anyone ever try something like these reduced loads with pistol powder? Would it be worth it to even try to work up or down with a light bullet for accuracy with a fast twist?

I'm hoping the reduced velocity and shorter barrel might negate poorer results.

Just kinda thinking out loud. Any insights?

Super Moderator

I shoot those type of loads often, but only in bolt rifles and single shots. They won't cycle an AR. They shoot great in a Contender though.

Boolit Master
    That 40gr Vmax is God's gift to folks like us.
    While I don't have any experience with the faster twists that you're citing (my Rem 700 .223 is 1:12), I have a Red Dot load for it that averages 0.3"-0.4" at 100 yds (5-shot groups) from a bone-stock rifle - the most accurate load I have ever developed. 2350 fps - highly recommended.

There was a great article in June-July 2014 #290 Handloader magazine "Beating the Rimfire shortage " by John Barsness.

I have played with TrailBoss in my bolt action Tikka .223 with 1/8" twist and I always got good results. I would say-try. As I understand, faster twist will help you with slower velocity, specially if you use heavier bullets. Oh, and I use pistol primers and no fillers.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8352.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	23.6 KB 
ID:	200185

Boolit Master
    I load 3.5 grains of HP-38 with a lyman 225646, without the gas check, and get 1300 fps, and very nice accuracy. The same bullet with a gas check I load 5.8 grains of HP-38 and get 1700 fps. These are both in a CZ 527 with the 1:9 twist. At NCBS I got a nice gift certificate for NOE molds by shooting a 0.45" group with peep sight using this load.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master
    Played with some light loads in my AR.
    Nosler 50 grain orange tipped with reduced loads of H4895 per hodgdon directions...
    55gn fmj with H4895,trail boss, also tried red dot and clays for fun.
    Although accuracy was poor compared to pushing these little pills at top speeds I was able to get sub 2moa out of a A2 1/8 twist H4895 would function but not always 100%

Banned

i'll throw in one of my favorites.
    the sierra 45gr hornet bullet on top of 11grs of 2400 with a win SR primer.
    I use the same load with a cast bullet.