Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan Reloading
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Load Data Repackbox

Thread: Jag and Brush Storage

Jag and Brush Storage

I've gotten frustrated with finding the right jag or brush in the drawer in my cleaning box and bought all new ones and rods. I had several cheap cleaning rods with different threads and it all just got to be a pain. I am looking for ideas for storing them and keeping them separate. I was thinking a small wooden box but that would not separate them. Been thinking something with holes to stand them up in since there will be one jag and one brush for each caliber. A quick google turned up noting but the MT plastic box and that left me uninterested, I am thinking of making something. Anyone made anything interesting to sore your jags?
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Boolit Buddy
    I use the MTM ones myself and I like them. I label the outside of each with the caliber with a sharpie. Store them in a tray of my toolbox. They are simple and cheap. I know you said you are uninterested but that was my opinion of them for what its worth. Plenty of room for multiple brushes/jags/swabs in them.

Boolit Grand Master

How about a 20 0r 50 round ammo box for 223 ammo. On the insert a foam or card board spacer to keep them up and stand one each in each spot. Get fancy and vary the heights so the tops of the jags and brushes are staggered for easy gripping.

Boolit Master
    I have been using the plastic 100 count .22 containers that have a slip top. Find them in the trash bin at the range. Doesn't cost anything and have plenty of room.

Boolit Buddy

I bought a plastic box at Walmart for $2.99 designed to hold fishing jigs. It has adjustable compartments. I use mine to hold sizer dies. I have adjusted it to 20 compartments.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Walla2 View Post
    I bought a plastic box at Walmart for $2.99 designed to hold fishing jigs. It has adjustable compartments. I use mine to hold sizer dies. I have adjusted it to 20 compartments.
    ^^^THIS^^^
    I got 2 of the smaller ones, one for jags and one for brushes.

BF
    "The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."--Plato

Nothing inspiring? Some woodworker somewhere has got to have made something?
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Boolit Master

Banned
    I like the idea of a wooden block with holes drilled in the top to stand the jags & brushes upright. Allows you to see all of them and instantly and pick the desired item. I purchased a set from MidwayUSA years ago and it came in a plastic box with a foam insert that has a hole for each jag. There's a label inside the lid that shows the location of each jag by caliber. Because it lives on my bench it just stays open all the time and you can instantly see which jag you need.

If I didn't have that I would just make a wooden block with the required number of holes and label each hole by caliber.

You could get fancy and use a block of metal with holes tapped to the correct thread and screw the jags into their stations. Or inset a series of nuts with the proper thread into a block of wood. If the block had guards to prevent the jags from being bent or damaged, you could place the block with jags attached in a tool box without fear of bending the jags during transport. It would require that you unthread each jag from the holder when you needed to use one but it would keep them organized.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I got frustrated a long time ago - always getting mixed in with each other, different threads, etc. I finally did a good "clean out" and went with all one thread. I have various cleaning jags since i also have a variety of calibers in muzzle loading rifles plus cartridge. I went with the clear plastic boxes with moveable dividers that you can buy at places like fabric stores/hobby stores - set the dividers up so compartments would allow room for jags, brushes, mops to be kept separate and with a permanent marker, labeled the top of the clear box over the compartment as to caliber, etc.

I did the same for my shell holders - both for the standard ones and for those used in my hand primers - I have several of each through "accumulation" and "on purpose" so if one ever gets misplaced, I have an extra.

I cut my own cleaning patches by using altered "hole saws" that I remove the center drill from and grind the teeth off and sharpen the edge - have several different sizes and by stacking washed flannel material (purchased by the yard off to the bargain table at Joanne Fabrics) into 5 or 6 layers, it's an easy task to cut perfect round patches on the drill press with a scrap piece of 2 X 4, etc. Doesn't take long to cut big supply and those I keeps tired in the same type of plastic box with a hinged lid - a different size in each box that is labeled.

The trick is to when I'm finished using the various items, to return them to their respective boxes so they are there the next time I need them so I don't have to hunt for them.

Boolit Master

I use a plastic snap top container meant for shotgun choke tubes. It has three compartments.

Boolit Master

kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Bub
    i used to have a 2x4 piece with holes drilled into it.

Boolit Master
    Empty CCI mini mag plastic cases work well and they are free( almost) .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boolit_Head View Post
    Nothing inspiring? Some woodworker somewhere has got to have made something?
    I'm a woodworker, but I still use the cheap plastic fishing jig cases. If I was to make something out of wood, it would do the same exact thing, cost a lot more money, be heavier, and would do a great job at sucking up all that oil and fouling so that it looks nasty. The plastic can be cleaned. Wood pores, not so much...

If I wanted to get really creative, I'd get a bunch of PVC or some clear tubing, make vials for each caliber, and build a wood case for that.

Boolit Master
    I bought an old tackle box at a yard sale, it's one the has three tiers that fold back on top of the lid. But I holds all of my jags and brushes perfectly. Cause each caliber has it own space, and I write the caliber on the front with a marker so know whats in there. And if you want a cheap holder for the cleaning rods, you buy a piece of pvc pipe, cut to length and cap both ends. That will keep them from getting damaged. The possibilitys are endless, and you are limited by your imagination!