Inline FabricationLoad DataWidenersRepackbox
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rough Rossi?

Boolit Buddy
    Mine was pretty good right out of the box but after firing a few rounds it locked up solid, wouldn't eject. I took it apart and cleaned it, haven't had any problems since. I did not see anything in the action to cause it to jam, I guess it fell out when I cleaned it.

Boolit Buddy
    Some of the Cowboy shooters have actually been known to smear the insides of their firearms with polishing toothpaste and then cycling. While simply cycling, with or without an abrasive, I have always felt that this will wear not only the parts you want slicked up, but things that you may not necessarily want worn. I believe VERY judicious polishing (read Dremel tool can be dangerous) of the proper parts will do a better job.

Here is a link that includes some suggestions on 92s, along with several other guns, which you may find helpful.
    http://marauder.homestead.com/Rifles.html

Best of luck,

Jackpine

Banned
    I didn't have the advantage of a DVD but I did manage to improve a Rossi lever action that I once owned. I was happy with the gun once I smoothed up the action and it was a good rifle. Sold it to fund something else years ago and wished I would have held onto it. Oh well, such is life. Maybe I'll pick up another one.

The ejector spring replacement is the Century C-530, available on Ebay, Amazon, or your local hardware store.

Working the action while watching a TV show or two was all it needed to smooth it out.

Boolit Master
    I happened upon an octo .357 '92 that must have had truck springs for both the ejector and the hammer. Overly strong springs pre-load the action with a good bit of drag when cycling, as well as abuse of the brass on ejection. Steve (of Steve's Gunz) once mentioned the heavier springs also give the impression of a tight action without the need for holding tight tolerances on moving parts. They also introduce premature wear on most of the action. This was also a problem on the prototype 1886's produced by Miroku some years back when Browning re-introduced the '86's. The article I read said the prototypes were very difficult to operate, hence, back to the drawing board, and production models are correct. The easy answer for springs is replacement with correct versions from Steve's Gunz/Nate Kiowa Jones. As for burrs and tooling marks, Steve's DVD gives complete details on how to smooth them up. His on-lin videos show how easily a proper '92 should cycle. Be careful with the use of a power tool like a dremel - it's really really easy to remove too much material.

By the way, slug the bore, not only to determine bore and groove diameters, but also whether there are any tight or loose spots or if it's tight at the breach and loose at the muzzle. This can be corrected rather easily with pressure-lapping. Most will accommodate jacketed ammo, a goodly number with cast as well but sometimes accuracy can be . . . indifferent. No problem, this can be fixed at home. I usually get it done in 20 rounds or so, more if it has a nasty tight spot, usually at the rear sight dovetail. They'll shoot cast very nicely once the irregularities are cleaned up and they're consistent from one end to the other.

Super Moderator

................Also a word to the wise regarding parts. There are certain 'Restricted' parts which the folks at Rossi cannot ship to you. I like to keep what I consider 'Consumables' on hand for many of my rifles. Especially those produced offshore. Believe it or not, the Ejector is restricted, and you have to send the rifle back to them to have a new one fitted.

In addition to a Rossi M92 rifle, I have another Rossi which is a short rifle in 38-357, and a Miroku produced M92 in 45 Colt. Many of the parts from the Miroku will fit the Rossi's. Numrich (GPC) has many of the Miroku parts listed at fairly friendly prices. I availed myself of a couple extractors, ejectors, springs, pins, etc.

I found this out when I first took my M92 x 45 Colt apart. The hammer screw/tang screw was stripped. I bought the correct tap and retapped the hole. I called Rossi (which was a joy in itself) I told them the action was color cased and I needed a blued screw. They sent me a stainless one. I called back, they found me in the computer, apologized and assured me I'd get the correct screw, FREE. I got another stainless screw!

I went to GPC and ordered the screw. It was beautify blued, and screwed right in. I'd also ordered a new ejector spring. Fit perfectly, and now my brass ends up on the ground at my right foot, and not in the next time zone. On the strength of that, is when I turned around having made up a list of stuff I'd like to have as spares, and ordered them from GPC.

/www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/Winchester-33573/Rifles-42602/1892MadeInJapan-40287.htm?page=1

The above addy is for GPC.

..............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12