Reloading EverythingRepackboxTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Load DataRotoMetals2WidenersLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: remington 760 gamemaster 30-06

Boolit Buddy

remington 760 gamemaster 30-06

I am working on a Rem 760 gamemaster pump in 30-06.

I want to take off the front and rear sight and put a scope on it.
    I want to fill in the screw holes so it looks half way decent.
    Where can I find the fill screws for this rifle? What are they called? my search has not turned up anything that I'm looking for.

Anyone know what size I need for them?

any help would be appreciated.

Boolit Grand Master

Boolit Master
    If you have a local gun shop that you frequent, they probably have a gazillion laying around from mounting scopes. I get the them free for the asking. But then I have been spending my allowance in there for close to 30 years!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Buddy
    thanks ben, just what I couldn't find!

Quote Originally Posted by BigMagShooter View Post

Anyone know what size I need for them?

As stated, a gunsmith should have plenty in their scrounge box - but you should be aware that there are (generally) 2 or 3 different size headless plug/filler screws, depending on the rifle's factory specs.

Your Remington, and most rifles, will take the (smallest) 6-48 sized screws; Marlin leverguns and a few others take larger sized screws like 8-32.

If possible, it's best to take the (empty) rifle with you when you visit the gunsmith, so you can be sure of the fit.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

You should like that rifle. I have one in 30-06 and it shoots and handles well. Not a target rifle, but good consistent hunting accuracy.

Banned
    BigMagShooter,

I have to ask: WHY do you want to take the fixed sights off of your 760??

Right now, I own a 760 in every caliber from .244 Remington to 9.3x62 Mauser, except .257 Roberts, plus a 7615 in 5.56NATO & I fear that I'm a "pump-rifle addict". ====> ALL of my 760s have fixed sights AND all of them (except my .30-06 "behind the seat pickup gun", which has NO scope mounted) have a wide-field Redfield or Leopold scope mounted.
    (Bust a scope on an expensive hunting trip & you have removed the fixed sights, you are FINISHED until/unless you can acquire/mount/zero another scope.)

Note: All the Model 760 FILLER SCREWS are 6-48, in all sub-models/versions.

just my opinion, sw

Boolit Grand Master
    BigMagShooter,

Did the same thing to a friend's 760 20 some years ago. Just the ticket for him and it worked great. good luck.

Be aware that one screw is under the front sight dovetail. You have to remove the sight from the base to reach it.
    PM me and I'll mail the plug screws to you.
    Best, Thomas.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I have one in 270 with the factory sights, I considered taking them off but they don't seem to get in the way. Great rifle bye the way!

Boolit Buddy
    texas native, I personally don't like the looks of a rifle that has BOTH iron and scope on it. It looks funny to my eye.

thanks for the tip on the screw under the front sight.

Boolit Buddy
    second question. It is difficult to unscrew the tube under the pump handle to get the action out.

I presume it is lefty loosy?

any tips or tricks to get it apart?

Banned
    BigMagShooter,

I'm too "utilitarian" to hunt with a rifle that can be put out of action by a broken scope.
    (Fyi, over the last 50+ years I've seen any number of "busted" scopes of various types, including a 3-9X Leopold that was broken by being dropped out of the car by a hunter. - It fell about 2-3 feet onto the asphalt.)

As to taking the magazine tube off = MOST that haven't been disassembled since they were built are a PITA to unscrew, in my experience.
    (A little bit of surface rust inside makes it un-fun.)

yours, tex
    Last edited by texasnative46; 07-23-2017 at 03:14 PM. Reason: add

I'm planning on putting a skinner sight on my 760.

Boolit Master
    On the disassembly. Factory uses loc tite, will take some heat to break it down. There is a stud
    in the receiver, the rod is a long "nut" , heat just ahead of the frame, only enough to degrade the locktite. Think heating , not cutting torch
    And yes lefty loosy, I also use locktite on reassembly. Hardest part of reassembly is fiddling the dustcover back in place. I would hapily share my secrete but I just cuss a lot and try try again till it goes without undue force.
    Last edited by rking22; 07-23-2017 at 05:51 PM. Reason: stoopid phone!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    Slightly offtopic, but that 7615 is just plain fun ! Mine is a police surplus with the Wilson reciever sight , coyote best beware !
    The Skinner should be awesome, he makes a fine product.

I have taken quite a few 760s apart, I use a brass rod through the holes in magazine tube to
    unscrew it out of action. The 760s with the riser type back sight are not normally in the way of
    scope mounting. The never type with opposing wedge and guide type rear can be. When putting
    plug screws in, I use clear finger nail polish on threads. I have never had to resort to heat to
    get mag tube out. The only rifle I have got in broken scope situation with, was a 742, luckily it
    had irons on it. My take away from this, when on trips away from home take a "back up" rifle, a
    scope is not the only thing that may break. Hunting opportunity is at a premium, be prepared.

Banned
    Drm50,

SPOT ON.

yours, tex

Banned
    rking22,

EXACTLY. I wouldn't take love nor money for my little carbine, as it's "just too handy" AND I looked over 26 months to find one in MINT condition, too.
    (My beloved has been looking at it & she may end up with mine IF I cannot find another one. = She is quite petite at 61"/102# & has "some difficulty with" harder-recoiling rifles.)

yours, tex

Boolit Master
    Tex, I know where there may still be another. It is in very nice condition but not mint. Pm me if you would like me to run by and check, was there 2 weeks ago. I intentionally bought a cosmetically challenged one. It resides behind the back seats in my Yukon, all the time. Nice thing about the sights, 100% confident it will stay sighted in! Now mine may get some wood stocks in place of the plastic, well see.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast