RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataTitan ReloadingWidenersSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: Trials and Tribulations With My Norwegian Krag

Trials and Tribulations With My Norwegian Krag

I like Krags but my Norwegian in 6.6 X 55 has given me heart burn from the beginning. Four bullets, 3 lubes and three sizing dies and I now have a load that meets my needs, shooting clay pigeons at 50 and 100 yards. Bullets were either too small or would not fit the throat. My seating/crimp die would set larger nose diameter bullets back into the case at about .265". I worked with LatheSmith for a .268 sizing die and an M die plug and worked with Swede at NOE bullets for a suitable mold resulting in his 268-140GC mold. But my shell plate for my Dillon would not work with about half of the brass from Swede blanks. Luckily I still had a shell plate for 30-30, ground a small chamfer in each slot and now I can lost the Swede round on my Dillon like all of my ammunition.

Now off to the races I thought but I used load data in my Lyman 45 and 50 loading manuals for similar bullet weight bullets and discovered the RPM limit very quickly. My Krag has a rate of twist of 1 in 7.5" like Swede rifles. With selected perfect bullets I could get OK groups at 50 yards but seldom could hit the target at 100. I wondered the load data and experimented with 2400 and Unique with the following results:
    2400 Results Velocity RPM 100yd
    11.7 gr 1417 ft/sec 136,000 Pie Plate sized
    12.5 gr 1467 ft/sec 141,000 Pie Plate Sized
    16.1 gr 1744 ft/sec 168,000 No Hits

The 2400 velocity results are similar to the Lyman manuals

Unique Results Velocity RPM 100 Yd
    7.7 gr 1228 ft/sec 118,000 about 3"
    9.5 gr 1411 ft/sec 135,000 Pie Plate Sized

7 shot 50 yard group of the 7.7 gr Unique ( I quit when ahead)

I can shoot the centers of clay pigeons at 50 yards with this load and hit them at 100 yards with little sight adjustment. I have a set of Williams peep sights on the rifle.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	50 yd group.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	200098

I also found that the loaded cartridge dimensions are .299" at the neck base and .297" at the case mouth and in my rifle the closer the better, over .300" and I have a tough time closing the bolt. I have not encountered that problem before so it was a learning experience.

I am using Swede blank brass that cost me < $.029/round, just pull the wood bullet, pour out the powder, tumble and load then off to the range.

Photo of loaded round and cast lubed bullet.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Load bullet.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	40.3 KB 
ID:	200099

My only comments center around the Lyman results, what distance were they shooting at? and how did they get those velocities? I am happy with my load, results and low recoil and I can spend a day shooting those rounds for about the same as 22LR but far more satisfying when I hit the pigeon.
    Last edited by JMax; 07-25-2017 at 08:46 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Shoot my Norwegian Krags with #266469 acww sized to .2675"dia w/Hornady GC done with homemade push thru sizer and straight Allox. 19.6 gr H4895 , same Swedish blank milsurp brass and I reload it with PMC Berdans from 2004. 1525 MV , 2MOA reliably , probably better

Tedly, mine was sporterized in its past with a 22" barrel and I suspect that a longer barrel with a slower powder will yield higher MV with good groups. I make my own gas checks and was able to get 3600 rounds of the blanks and to date I have now fired over 400 rounds w/o misfires etc and I am saving the brass. I have both PPU and S&B brass and had similar results but with the blank brass I am saving them for later.

I tried that Lyman mold but the bullets dropped too small for my groove diameter was .2665" and is why I am sizing at .268".

I tried a similar load as yours but with IMR4895 but was not happy with the groups.
    Last edited by JMax; 07-22-2017 at 09:19 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    With a twist rate of 7.5"..i believe most shooters find that keeping it under 1450FPS is the key to accuracy with this round..

I found with my rifle that 1400 ft/sec is too high a velocity but at 118,000 RPM or 1228 ft/sec lets me shoot clay pigeons at 100 yards to the point that I now shoot pigeon pieces so I am done, a fun low recoil load that is accurate for me to shoot clay pigeons with abandon at 100 yards with iron sights.

Boolit Buddy
    I actually follow a similar format. Once my loads are developed and bench shooting is through , I'll also shoot at clay pigeons at 50 and 100yds....my Grandson was liking the Swed M38 over the Krag....