Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad DataInline Fabrication
RepackboxRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee Precision
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need 45 ACP Mold Recommendation

Need 45 ACP Mold Recommendation

I fell into a killer deal on a Springfield XD 45 Tactical, so now I own one of those (again).

I'm 99.9% sure I'm going to buy a Mech Tech carbine conversion for it. Would be a shame if I didn't, really...

Funny thing is, I just got finished wet tumbling all of the 45 ACP brass I've accumulated over the past 10 years, so now all I need is booooolits.

I'm looking for a mold that will rain lots of plinking bullets that will work well in both the pistol and carbine configs. I don't mind a Lee, but I also don't mind ponying up for an MP or NOE. I will definitely be powder coating. Want something that shoots mild, basically a lot of ammo that goes pew pew pew.

Intend to use Unique for the powder since I recently discovered that I have 25 pounds of it, not the 16 that I thought I had.

So what do you fine gents (and ladies) recommend?

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    The H&G 68 is popular .
    I have a knock off 45-200SWC .
    It would be tough to beat a 452-200 RNFP 6C for production though.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Can't go wrong with the lyman 452374 RN
    Proud to serve, U.S. Army Infantry

Moderator Emeritus

Most any 200 gr. SWC by a reputable mold co. should work. They vary, and you have to work out what OAL each one needs to feed reliably in your gun, but that's pretty well true of any bullet you buy, or cast, so .... no biggie there. I have the Lee 6-cav. 200 gr. WC, but have used the 190 gr. TL in the past with good results. Nose length varies, with the 190 TL being shorter. The RCBS 201 gr. SWC is a real classic in the .45, also, and old timers claim that no SWC has ever fed better in autos, but again, OAL does need to be worked out as with an other cast or jacketed bullet. Either of those would be good, but there are plenty of others as well. The 200's have always performed well for me, even on deer. I haven't taken a deer with them, but a friend has taken several, all with fine results. All ya' gotta' do is put 'em in th' right place. The full velocity 200 gr. SWC cast is a VERY versatile load, and will do 97% of all that we do with pistols in a fine fashion, even hunting deer, if you're a really decent hunter and know how to get close without spooking them. Cheap, too! What could be better than that???

This seems like a great time for me to get an education on SWC's. I've never loaded any, nor do I think I've ever even fired any (except possibly many moons ago in a 38 special that were someone's reloads).

I'm new to casting world and cast bullet designs. What's the purpose of a SWC? What's the functionality vs say a simple RN design? Why might it be preferred over another design?

My experience with the XD 45 Tactical has not been good with SWC boolits. The main issue seems to be the fired case rim catching on the loaded round in the magazine. Some report not having had that issue, others can't get anything but a RN to not create a stove pipe jam.

Another issue with the XD 45 is the short throat. But that isn't just a Springfield thing, it seems to be happening with others as well. Bear in mind, gun makers build guns for jacketed factory ammunition.

One thing is for certain I guess, go with a round nose mold and all should be well. Just keep in mind you may have to seat them a tad deeper. Even then, many have sent their XD 45 barrels out to be throated in order to cure the problem of the short throat regardless of what cast boolit they were using.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by 308Jeff View Post
    This seems like a great time for me to get an education on SWC's. I've never loaded any, nor do I think I've ever even fired any (except possibly many moons ago in a 38 special that were someone's reloads).

I'm new to casting world and cast bullet designs. What's the purpose of a SWC? What's the functionality vs say a simple RN design? Why might it be preferred over another design?
    Their purpose? They punch nice round holes in paper targets for accurate scoring. Also, some give the flat bullet nose a lot of credit for doing damage to critters.

I have the NOE RG4 H&G68 copy. Once it's hot it rains boolits!Attachment 200105
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Grand Master

The Lee 452-200 RF works well in my Kahr's, various 45 ACP Govt's and a Blackhawk not to mention it's a great target round for the 45lc.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    My experience with the XD 45 Tactical has not been good with SWC boolits. The main issue seems to be the fired case rim catching on the loaded round in the magazine. Some report not having had that issue, others can't get anything but a RN to not create a stove pipe jam.

Another issue with the XD 45 is the short throat. But that isn't just a Springfield thing, it seems to be happening with others as well. Bear in mind, gun makers build guns for jacketed factory ammunition.

One thing is for certain I guess, go with a round nose mold and all should be well. Just keep in mind you may have to seat them a tad deeper. Even then, many have sent their XD 45 barrels out to be throated in order to cure the problem of the short throat regardless of what cast boolit they were using.

Murphy
    Strictly a RN (as in no RNFP)?

Thank you.

Boolit Buddy
    Considering its a modern auto with, as you say, a shorter throat, then a 200 gr RNFP would be my guess as the best bullet. That will allow you a shorter COAL without going too deep. Different gun but I had feeding issues with SWC in my Glock.

I run 2 of the Lee 6 banger 230ish TC. Functions in all of my .45's and everyone I load for. With two, you can run them as fast as your pot will allow. When one is too hot, set it aside and use the other that's been warming up.
    Retired Redleg
    I came into this world kicking and screaming covered in someone else's blood, I don't mind going out the same way.

Boolit Master

My brother had an XD Service and it did not feed the H&G 68 at all! It was a pump action pistol that was plagued with jamming. I will say that the Lee 230gr. TC with standard lube groove worked perfect. Sized to .452 it went through them like a fat kid through M&Ms.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master

I love my Mihec 200gr HP RN.

Banned

Just got this from NOE

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	N.O.E._Bullet_Moulds_TL452-236-RF_(BB)_Sketch.Jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	140.7 KB 
ID:	200119

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonie View Post
    I love my Mihec 200gr HP RN.
    This has been the best feeding round for me as well, I've also shot the lee 230 gr TL variety to good success. The hg68 makes nice round holes in the paper but until I get my barrels throated I have occasional feeding hiccups.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

I guess my question is are you going to use any self defense loads out of it, and if so I would try and match the profile of that bullet with my cast. My current favorite is a 230 grn TC that mimic'm the Hydroshock factory round
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    Lee regular lube groove 230 TC will work however it will need to be loaded shorter for the throat in the XD and in the neighborhood of 1.19 to 1.20" IIRC. This will also likely work well in carbine conversion. If you want another option that will likely give you no problems the 452374 or varients will serve you well.

Mihec has a nice solid/hp version of the 452374 that I use in all my 45 autos and I also created another similar design over at Accurate Molds.
    https://www.mp-molds.com/e-shop/mold...cav-brass-mold
    http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=45-230V-D.png

The reason why the above two molds designs are good is because they allow for a traditional COAL while not revealing a full diameter drive band above or much above the case mouth so you don't have the issues of the shorter throat giving issues with chambering etc.

Boolit Master

My xd eats just about anything but I prefer any other boolit but roun nose, my 230 frn mihex is great and so is my RCBS 201 swc. Just remember it does have a short chamber so seat deeper than normal and plunk test those rounds!!!

Banned
    the Lee 6 CAV TL452-230-2R with either HT or PC coating works well in all my guns

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast