Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
WidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need 45 ACP Mold Recommendation

Boolit Grand Master

The old standby 230 grain round nose is hard to beat. Its not sexy and it does not cut nice sharp holes in paper targets but it just plain works. My favorite is the H&G68 or one of its many clones. I don't know if it will work in your Springfield though.

Boolit Master

I have a hi-point and found that the Lee 200 rf is ideal for it. Feeds well and accurate from my pistols, and the large bearing surface stays accurate at high velocity better than the h&g 68 or my 230 tc (both tumble if pushed too hard). Btw, my best results with the carbine are with 9.6 grains of hs-6. That is .2 over recomended max but it is hard to argue with 1300 fps average and 5 inch 100 yard groups with a 3moa red dot sight.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Master

I've had an XD45 for over a decade. Most of them don't play well with the standard 200 gr SWC.

I have the same hollow point mold as jmort and it works quite well in my XD pistol. It also works in all my 1911 pistols. A couple more range trips and that hollow point will become my carry boolit.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    Just got this from NOE

Attachment 200119
    This general shape is a good one, & I have it in this mold (most recent), the LBT 230 LFN, and an Accurate 45-230F (the H wouldn't be bad either). The idea is you get an ogive that starts tapering down right at the case mouth, preventing one possibility for snagging on a tight throat, an ogival curve that makes the gun think it's feeding hardball, and a .31"-.32" caliber meplat (that in the NOE can even be had as a hollowpoint) to damage things with. This general formula lets you seat the nose of the bullet out to nearly the front of the mag, which is a thing 1911's like. The HG68 does the same general thing for feeding with a reduction in recoil, but at a loss of potential for blunt force trauma.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Great info. Thank you, all!

I saw this cool little SWC HP boolit in an article about loading the .45 Auto Rim.

It looked like a shorter fatter Keith Boolit. I haven't been able to find the mould but I think it was a Lyman mould.

Has any one seen any thing like this? It is not like a H&G68 it is more like a 429421.

I went back and found the article and it was in the Feb 2017 Handloader Issue along with my Hand Press. The mould is Lyman 452424. It has a substantial Crimp Groove so seating it deeper and taper crimping on the top driving band would be in order. The shape of the boolit looks like it would feed just fine. Turns out it's just a .45 cal. 429421

My go to boolit for .45ACP is 452374 with Powder Coating.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 07-23-2017 at 04:08 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

I'm guessing I really can't go wrong with a traditional round nose design. Will probably pick up the Lee 6 Cav 230gr and have a go at it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 308Jeff View Post
    I'm guessing I really can't go wrong with a traditional round nose design. Will probably pick up the Lee 6 Cav 230gr and have a go at it.
    If you go with the Lee then make sure to know that there are two round nose designs (a 1R and a 2R). The 2R is closer to the shape of 230 grain round nose ball profile. The 1R design on the other hand will need a short COAL length to chamber in short throated barrels.
    http://leeprecision.com/bullet-casti...-bullet-molds/

Quote Originally Posted by RobS View Post
    If you go with the Lee then make sure to know that there are two round nose designs (a 1R and a 2R). The 2R is closer to the shape of 230 grain round nose ball profile. The 1R design on the other hand will need a short COAL length to chamber in short throated barrels.
    http://leeprecision.com/bullet-casti...-bullet-molds/
    Well now that's really educational and interesting. Thank you! Pretty sure I'm going to want the 2R, so I'm stuck with a TL design with the Lee?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 308Jeff View Post
    Well now that's really educational and interesting. Thank you! Pretty sure I'm going to want the 2R, so I'm stuck with a TL design with the Lee?
    Yep.

There's always seems to be a Lyman 452374 up for auction or here in the S&S. Or this mold is $68 in a 3 cavity. http://arsenalmolds.com/products?pro...d=58&limit=100
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

Thanks, Grunt!

Boolit Master
    I have the 452374 in a hollow point but I have little to no expansion with it. I like the Lee 452-230TC which has a flat tip and I would guess is more effective than a hollow point at .45ACP velocities. Can get in two or six cavity configurations and also available in the tumble lube version if you prefer. Less expensive way to go.... Feeds well for me.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you are uninformed. If you do, you are misinformed.
    - Mark Twain

When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade without further introduction.
    - Mark Twain

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    OK 308, my suggestion is a Lyman RN. #452374

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MOA View Post
    OK 308, my suggestion is a Lyman RN. #452374

Looks like you have an older Lyman/Ideal mold. The newer Lyman 452347's have a pointier nose profile to them.

Boolit Master

I also have the Lyman 452-374, but it casts under sized for me using COWWs. It comes in at 2-3 thous shy of .452.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

I currently own and load 230 grain round nose boolits cast from the Lyman 452374, the NOE 454-230-rn(H&G 34 clone), and the Lee tl452-230-2R. They all work well and shoot accurately.
    If I were to pick one, it would be the NOE for the design of the boolit. Not for any theoretical increase in accuracy. They all shot the same out of my pistol which is a Springfield Armory 1911 Mil Spec.
    All functioned perfectly.

Boolit Buddy

If you are looking for a plinking booolit you can't beat a 6 cavity mold for production.

Boolit Master

My XDM 5.25" Comp eats the SWC fine, also the 230 TC design. I have Lee, NEI and Accurate. All work. Lately I've migrated to the SWC.
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator

Boolit Master
    Not all XD's are the same. Some have a small bump on the bottom of the slide which pushes the top round from the magazine down a bit so the fired empty doesn't bind with the next round in the magazine. The problem with XD's that do not have this bump happens with boolit designs that do not have a smooth transition nose profile and the exiting head of the brass will not clear the nose of the next round in the magazine. Such designs with a full diameter front drive bands have issue such as a SWC.

This picture was on another forum and illustrates what I am talking about and both slides are Springfield XD's
    - the one on the left has the bump on the slide rib adjacent to the extractor claw and will feed about anything
    - the one on the right is the slide without the bump and works best with round nose/TC style boolits i.e. smooth transition nose profiles.

Boolit Master

if your guns will feed SWC, I love the results of some lee micro groove style.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	45acp.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	200401

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast