Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee Precision
Load DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Man Oh man...how do you clean one of these?

Boolit Master
    I start with STAINLESS steel cleaning brushes. I keep a small supply of them on hand just for such duty. After I wear them down a little I wrap them in 0000 steel wool add hoppes and go at them again. Once the big crud and chunks are out, I'll do the soaking method. Hard to ruin a ruined bore.. Surprise I've had is how well some of them end up shooting cast bullets.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I have no dog in this fight so please don't shoot me for asking . . . . .

Has anyone ever tried Coke (Coca Cola) to clean out cosmolene, etc.? I'm not advocating it - just asking.

When we wee kids, my mother used to put a can of Coke in the wash when she was washing our work jeans that were greasy from working on farm equipment. A friend of ours owned a bulk cement trucking company and they would have to clean the insides of the hauling tanks every so often. One day, the guys got to fooling around with their Cokes, shaking them and trying to shoot the coke on each other - it landed on the inside of the tank and ate the cement coating down to the steel as slick as could be. I have also recently read whee if you put a can of coke in your toilet, it will eat the lime/mineral build up out and clean it as slick as a whistle.

I can't imagine that it would harm the steel of a barrel bore or action- I don't know what it would do to the blueing however. Just a thought as to what it would do if poured in a sealed barrel bore and left to sit for a couple of hours and then rinsed out? I wonder if it would clean up dried out cosmo?

Boolit Master
    I picked up a Mosin last year with the usual sewer pipe bore and used an ammonia soak to clean out the copper. It was simple enough, just plug the bore with a spent steel case with the neck wrapped with teflon tape and fill the barrel with the household ammonia. Let it soak for two or three hours then dump and clean with Hoppes. The ammonia came out bright green for three soaks and I was also able to scrub out a lot of carbon each time. It's not a tack driver but the rifle shoots a lot better after the cleaning.

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Wipe-Out. Once you use it you won't use anything else.
    http://www.sharpshootr.com/wipe-out/
    Another vote for wipeout, I have a .243 that coppers up badly. Sinclair bore guide, Wipeout sprayed from muzzle until coming out the bore guide, leave sit for twenty minutes dry patch and do again, then brush then Wipeout third time. Bore shines. Usually after a match with 60-80 rounds the foam coming out the muzzle on the first application comes back out royal blue almost instantly it works that fast.

Need to order some, I'm out and no one had it at Camp Perry this year, I usually stock up there every summer. Bummer.

Claims no ammonia, not sure what is in it, almost think it is a de-ionized water based cleaner. Dries every bit of oil out of my hands when I use it.

I would not leave a bore with out oiling it immediately, it cleans that well.

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimb16 View Post
    Everyone keeps leaving out one important ingredient...elbow grease. No barrel will get clean without it!
    Yes they will!
    It's not 1837 and chemestry has gotten far since great-great-grandad used catspiss to clean his frontstuffer.

KG-1 for carbon and KG-12 for copper.
    Might take a while but you dont have to plug the bore and what not.
    Apply and push patches through.

KG-1 http://kgcoatings.worldsecuresystems...carbon-remover
    KG-12 http://kgcoatings.worldsecuresystems...g-bore-cleaner

Look at this test and see how much copper the other "copper removers" actually remove:
    http://www.coretacsolutions.com/prod..._KG12_TEST.htm

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    I have no dog in this fight so please don't shoot me for asking . . . . .

Has anyone ever tried Coke (Coca Cola) to clean out cosmolene, etc.? I'm not advocating it - just asking.

When we wee kids, my mother used to put a can of Coke in the wash when she was washing our work jeans that were greasy from working on farm equipment. A friend of ours owned a bulk cement trucking company and they would have to clean the insides of the hauling tanks every so often. One day, the guys got to fooling around with their Cokes, shaking them and trying to shoot the coke on each other - it landed on the inside of the tank and ate the cement coating down to the steel as slick as could be. I have also recently read whee if you put a can of coke in your toilet, it will eat the lime/mineral build up out and clean it as slick as a whistle.

I can't imagine that it would harm the steel of a barrel bore or action- I don't know what it would do to the blueing however. Just a thought as to what it would do if poured in a sealed barrel bore and left to sit for a couple of hours and then rinsed out? I wonder if it would clean up dried out cosmo?
    One of the major ingredients in Coke is phosphoric acid . Phosphoric acid is the base of the solution used to etch aluminum so paint will stick to it .

I don't know about the KG product line .

What ever you use you should change solvents several times especially if the first one isn't doing anything . What happens is that the fouling saturates and the solvents stop working . Change the solvents and viola' more black gunk .

If you can get it in an ultrasonic cleaner it will do wonders .
    I had a 9mm bbl that was not visibly bad but had layers of fouling that was made worse by bad cast loads and lead sticking to the copper ......
    Long story short work had an ultrasonic cleaner full of Hoppes for cleaning aircraft fuel injectors . 30 min and I had lifted threads and sluffing gobs of fouling . I took it home and brushed the loose stuff out wet patched it in Barns C10 let it set , brushed and patched it dry and oiled it in Kroil . The Kroil lifted more carbon and some metal . I ran it twice more in the ultrasonic cleaner before I was satisfied with the cleaning . It hasn't had a jacket in it since 2007 and I still get a couple of blue lines when I deep clean .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    "danger Will Robinson!"

I was trying to buy Moisin 28 one time and the bore was awful. I thought it was just completely worn out as the brushes didn't change a thing. Add a few rounds of ball. After each one, the grooves kept getting deeper. After 10, I had an almost new barrel!

WARNING! WARNING!

I do NOT recommend this. I thought the bore was completely worn or I would not have fired full power rounds thru it. I bet the pressures were HIGH....

YMMV...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by opos View Post
    On the thread they were talking about S/W bore gel and what a "miracle worker" it was. I've used the S/W premium bore gel on any number of fouled barrels and I swear by it...Amazon may have it...not sure any more.
    Currently unavailable...

https://www.amazon.com/Smith-Wesson-...pb_opt?ie=UTF8

It doesn't look like anyone else has it either.

I'd try the boiling water with dish soap, followed by an overnight soak with foaming bore cleaner. Repeat as needed, then start with bore brushes and JB Bore Paste.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    I used to fool with mil surp's a lot, a old marine gave me this tip. I spray the foaming bore cleaner in, and when completely dissolved, I take the action out of the wood, and got to the carwash, point the nozzle in the chamber, and run about 1$ worth of hot soapy high pressure water through, take home, dry patch and oil, usually does the deal.

Boolit Master

Lol coke, I am gonna try that!!!
    Nothing beats hot water for the initial cleaning, anyone that does this can agree to the condition of that first patch. I have used B&B 3100 an internal gas tubine cleaner, that rips out the carbon by the root, but hard to get. Ammonia for copper, household stuff or sweets 7.62 solvent and powder solvent ie eds red. Some rifles will need much soaking and wiping, scrubbing helps speed it up a bit. Shooting paper patch boolits will work too, with cleaning. I use copper mesh for scrubbing now it is much cheaper than bore brushes that never last. Brake clean is great for a flush.
    Be well
    Last edited by leebuilder; 07-23-2017 at 08:03 AM.
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

Boolit Buddy
    I'd be careful with coke. It will dissolve a steel nail in a few days.

Boolit Buddy
    I usually alternate overnight soaking in Ed's Red and a good workover with a bronze brush, after patches stop coming out black I add JB's into the daily routine. Had an M1917 that took about 2 weeks of that before the bore quit looking like a sewer pipe. Still every time I shoot HXP it takes 2-3 days of that routine before patches quit coming out black.

A few months ago I made a electronic bore cleaner out of an old cell phone charger, cleaned an even worse looking Model 1908 bore in 3 days of Ed's Red soaking alternating with EBC sessions.
    Last edited by goryshaw; 07-23-2017 at 04:35 PM.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    GrayTech - you raise a good point on the Coke - I have also read what you state about a nail. It might not be a good idea to leave it in the bore for a long time but if the bore is dirty/cosmo laden, I would give it a try just to see what the effect would be on the cosmo/grunge-then rinse out real well. I also like the idea of removing the barrel/action and visiting the car wash as it seems like that process, with the pressure and hot/soapy water might be a good way to get it out as well.

While I have had mil-surd rifles over the years, I am now down to my 1905 Danzig GEW98. The bore was dark but not grungy/cosmo as it was brought back by a WWI vet in 1919 that I knew. I got that shooting a year or so ago and just gave the bore a good scrubbing and the shooting has cleaned it up nicely - nothing like what I hear bout the bores on the Moisons, etc.

I'm 65 and can well remember when Moisons could be had at under $20. I had five 303 Enfields that I don't think I paid over $40.00for any of them. Times have changed! LOL But all of them are interesting and IMHO, are worth the effort to get in to shooting shape. What were just plain old surplus rifles to my generation are now collector's items to today's generation and I applaud those that take the effort to get them in shooting shape!

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    For the bore of a rifle if Hoppes won't touch it I use Wipe-out , if that comes up short I use the electric method . For the rest of the rifle I've used laquer thinner to get the worst crud imaginable . For a rifle stock that isn't so bad I've used turpentine when laquer thinner isn't needed .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTech View Post
    I'd be careful with coke. It will dissolve a steel nail in a few days.
    Did this as a kid. Wore a spike to a polished nub in less than a month. For human consumption you should dilute it with rum just to.be safe.
    Still gonna try it got an old lee speed here with a sewer pipe bore.
    Be well

Boolit Master

Well the bore came out pretty clean after a 12 hour coke a cola soak. Evern has a bit of a shine.
    Still getting some gunk from the pits and pours on my patches, the coke loosened the gunk.
    The bore was pretty bad a .308 bullet will fall right through. At least it looks better.
    Thanks
    Be well

I have a 1932 Mosin Nagant Have tried a lot of things, used some Montana X-Treme bore solvent and Copper Killer on it worked great, less work and the bore is clean!

Boolit Master
    I'm going to try the Wipe-Out with the Accelerator and let it sit overnight. It's interesting to see that the directions say you can do that. Sweets 7.62 warns to not let it sit for more than 15 minutes.
    [

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by AbitNutz View Post
    I'm going to try the Wipe-Out with the Accelerator and let it sit overnight. It's interesting to see that the directions say you can do that. Sweets 7.62 warns to not let it sit for more than 15 minutes.
    They are completely different chemicals. One will damage the barrel while the other won't. If I was letting it sit over night I wouldn't use the activator. That's for quick cleaning after a range session.

Boolit Master

Lol coke, I am gonna try that!!!
    Works well in toilet bowls too. Some fire departments carry the syrup as it's a pretty good solvent/detergent for post fatality accident clean ups.

Glad you got the bore in some semblance of order on that Enfield. Hope it shoots well for you.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast