Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad DataRepackbox
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IMR 4759 replacement? For reduced loads

Boolit Bub

IMR 4759 replacement? For reduced loads

Any suggestions to take the place of the discontinued powder? Down to my last pound; I have used Unique which does the job, but looking for something that may fill the case a bit more. I shoot plinker loads out of my 1940's vintage Savage 99 .300, 100 grain bullet. Accurate, fun, and can shoot all day long. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks in advance

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    With very light cast bullets in the .30 calibers, from 100-130 grains, 4 grains of Bullseye is pretty hard to beat in any case from a .30 M1 carbine to a .30-'06 for a plinker and gallery load. It tolerates the free airspace well, does not require a filler and at 4 grains with 100-grain bullet in your .300 Savage a double-charge will only lead your barrel and not blow up the gun!
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

Burning speed wise, 4198 is pretty close and I've used it with success in years past when out of 4759.

On the faster side: Reloader 7 and 4227 will also work as well as 2400

Were I ever out of 4759, the above powders would see constant use, although for your use of a very light bullet in the 30 cals, Bullseye is probably the right choice. I've used it in thousands of plinker loads for rabbits, vermin and tin cans with a 115 grain M1 Carbine bullet (cast and jacketed).
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 07-21-2017 at 04:49 PM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master
    Having used pretty much all of the common reduced load powders for my subsonic load development, the only three that have proven to be a good substitute for /my/ dwindling stash of SR4759 are Trail Boss, Trail Boss, and Trail Boss.

Other powders (such as Red Dot) can be excellent & certainly have their place, but SR4759 often does nicely when other powders fail to provide satisfactory accuracy. When that happens, Trail Boss is the ticket - it's always outperformed SR4759 for me.
    Last edited by Kestrel4k; 07-21-2017 at 04:53 PM.

Boolit Bub

From a clean burning standpoint, the dirtiest was the Bullseye. I short indoor 38/55 and have good accuracy and very clean with Trailboss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub

That's "shoot" not "short"

Boolit Master
    I replaced my 4759 with Accurate 5744. Seems to work just fine.

Boolit Master
    Like MR Peabody I too like Accurate 5744. For mild loads in 300 Savage, 32 Special, 308 Win it is very consistent, accurate. I have also used 4227 successfully for the mild loads.

Boolit Bub

I'm following this discussion, because like Engieman, I sorry miss the 4759. It was the perfect powder for me. Squib loads, regular loads all shot well. With not having access to all the different powders, this forum is perfect

Boolit Bub
    IMR 4198 is doing well for me in the .30-30 and the .32 Winchester Special.

Boolit Master
    Alliant 300 MP. Use SR4759 data. You will find, however, that you will need about one grain more than SR 4759. My load with the 314299 in .308 W is 22.5 gr 300MP vs 21.5 gr 4759. The accuracy is equivalent, but 300 MP doesn't have the bulk. On the plus side, it will meter well.
    Last edited by oldblinddog; 07-24-2017 at 10:54 AM.
    USMC 6638

Boolit Grand Master
    IMR 4198 and 5744 are the two closest that I have found. Reloader 7 also works, but truth to tell, there is nothing that works as a direct replacement conferring all the benefits that 4759 did.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    Wish I had a shortage of 4759, but I don't. Growing fond of Blue Dot these days, it covers a lot of ground.
    I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Dan View Post
    Wish I had a shortage of 4759, but I don't. Growing fond of Blue Dot these days, it covers a lot of ground.
    Humble brag here? You wouldn't have any trouble generating a "shortage" of 4759 if you really wanted to... lots of folks are trying hard to find it. If you offer it here and don't get any offers, try the forum at ASSRA.com; some of those guys seem to be getting desperate. If I didn't have a lifetime supply, I'd be making an offer myself!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    Froggie, it isn't for sale and there was no brag intended. It might be used in barter or bribery down the road, who besides The Shadow knows? Apparently I did something bordering on sacrilege when it was announced production was halted. Placed an online order that otherwise would not have occurred. So I have reserves and other weep. Such is life.

I use it for certain applications and find it useful here and there. In my opinion it does better with high load density and is not the best powder for plinking or low velocity loads.

When I'm dead and gone you can have what's left.
    I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.

Boolit Master
    I go with IMR 4198 and XMP5744 in place of 4759.

Boolit Grand Master
    Like every powder, now and in the past, 4759 has certain characteristics that make it fit certain niches. In my case, it does exceptionally well for plain base cast bullet target loads in the classic 32-40. It is also "gentle" in the older, soft steel chambers of some of my single shot rifles.

The story I got about its discontinuation was that the cost of production of this particular powder configuration was deemed too high in view of other potential uses of those same powder mills that could have continued making it... in short, it was a bean counting decision. Fortunately for me, I had been buying more than I had been shooting of this powder for several years, and when "the end" came, I had or had access to about 12-15 pounds of it, and at 13.6 gr per round it should last me a loooong time.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Mold

Would like to trade some sr4759 for some 4895 powder

Quote Originally Posted by jhickdog View Post
    I'm following this discussion, because like Engieman, I sorry miss the 4759. It was the perfect powder for me. Squib loads, regular loads all shot well. With not having access to all the different powders, this forum is perfect

I have some sr 4759 powder I would trade for some H4895 if you need some is so my email is eddieearle@yahoo.com

Boolit Mold
    Sr4759 sorry

Boolit Master
    RE-7 would be my choice followed by 3031. 5744 and 2400 are better than 3031 but can be very difficult to find.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast