Snyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersReloading EverythingRepackboxLoad Data
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Off press priming?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasGrunt View Post
    I ordered a couple of them off eBay. I'm going to give them a try as they appear to be a bit larger.
    Have you got them yet?

Boolit Mold

I have the RCBS universal hand priming version and I have primed a lot of rifle cases without any hand irritations. I had to replace the Lee hand priming tools because they wore out after many years of use. Lee no longer makes the old version hand primers that held 100 primers. The replacements Lee sent was a toy in comparison which I gave away.

Boolit Master
    I have a coax priming tool and find it is a trial to get the jaws adjusted along with the priming feed tubes all at once.

I began hand priming with the early and revered lee tool. Broke it.

I then moved onto the RCBS hand tool that uses the standard shell holders. That is my mainstay. You need the newer shell holders as original ones don't have enough relief where the primer enters. I still use my older holders in my presses and sort though for a new style for the priming tool.

I have added the old original RCBS bench tool built off the Lachmyer design for reseating stubborn "high" primers. Every now and then the RCBS hand tool just won't reach deep enough and a little more depth is needed. It might be wear on it because I have been using it for a long time.

I have a late model LNL and like it. They are not perfect but I like. My biggest issue is with small cases such as 380 auto and a bulky powder like red dot. As you advance the loader the powder is tossed out and it gets under the shell plate and gets drug under the priming station. The fix is changing to a more compact propellant.

I have a number of ways that I load ammo and I use the method that suits me and the kind of cartridge and the end use of the ammo at hand.

If I am building varmit busters I have one regiment. If it's dirt cold busters, a different one applies. For a bear defense load a third one applies.

It's my business and I share it only in the interest that it might help someone who can make some use of it.

Best regards

Three44s
    Last edited by Three44s; 08-05-2017 at 09:49 AM.

I found with the Hornady hand primer I had to make a shim that sits on top of the shell holder to get the primer to seat fully. After doing that the only problem I have is with the occasional primer flipping over.

Quote Originally Posted by Three44s View Post
    I have added the old original RCBS bench tool built off the Lachmyer design for reseating stubborn "high" primers. Every now and then the RCBS hand tool just won't reach deep enough and a little more depth is needed. It might be wear on it because I have been using it for a long time.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by sparky45 View Post
    I have a Dillon 650XL and I STILL hand prime off the press. I like to feel the primer when it seats, I can tell immediately if it isn't right. Also, I feel the depth of seating is more consistent. BTW, I use the Lee round tray setup.
    I feel the same way about priming on my 650. I have had zero failures to fire on ammo loaded on the 650, primarily .40 S&W.

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    "To that reasoning...I say...SO WHAT ! "

Exactly.

I would rather have 20 rounds that stack into one hole with my gun than 10,000 rounds cranked out with a progressive.

So for some maybe it is all about quantity. I am not one of those.

Some say "quantity has a quality all its own"

Yep, good point. Just do not mistake that quality for other quality's that people who hand craft there ammo one round at a time strive for.

Because they may be different quality's entirely.

Do what works for you and screw the rest of the world. YMMV
    This is not a personal attack. I do believe it perpetuates the myth that single stage ammo is somehow inherently more accurate than that loaded on a progressive press. With equal case prep I find no difference in accuracy between weighing each charge and loading on a single stage or loading the same cartridge with the same components on a progressive. I never prime off press for progressive loading. I can feel the primer seat quite nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by jarhead0321usmc View Post
    Either the rcbs bench prime or a handheld. I personally have spent many nights in front of the TV with the wife hand priming. Gets me out of the reloading room and we can talk about our days or watch some TV and prime some brass. Worst I ever had was a blister develop after 3 thousand cases on my index finger.
    Agreed. I have several ways to prime including a couple of handhelds and an RCBS bench prime. The RCBS is my first choice when loading single stage.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Gotta agree with David2011.

My LNL AP produces sub-MOA (about .75) 308 ammo at a rate of about 15-20 per minute. I've done all the brass prep and priming off the press, but it'll drop the powder and seat the bullet darn quick. I attribute a lot of the speed, consistency, and accuracy to the RCBS Gold Medal Match seating die. It really makes production and accuracy shine. I also use a powder cop die, just to keep an eye on the charges.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Carrier View Post
    Have you got them yet?
    I've had them for a while, been unable to really give them a test. However I had my buddy put one on the press this morning and he ran 100 .357 cases through a size and prime without a bobble. It's a MUCH better piece than what my Hornady pieces are/were.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234