RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationWidenersLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: Lyman Mould Master

Boolit Mold

Lyman Mould Master

I just bought an old Lyman Mould Master on Ebay and received it 2 days ago. It already had hardened lead in the pot, which I thought was a bad sign it might not work. I plugged it in, and turned it up to 700 degrees. It did not melt the lead; although, it seemed like it was getting pretty hot. I kept on cranking it up finally to all the way up. On the all the way up setting, which was way past the dial to the stop, it finally melted the lead and poured through the spigot.

Is this normal for these old melters?

Also, I've noticed that there were several variations of this melter. Mine does not have Model 61 on it and has an aluminum base. Others I've noticed had a cast iron base and a Model 61 at the plug in. I guess these are older models. I appreciate any input. Thanks

Boolit Grand Master

Sounds like the thermostat is failing.
    The setting on the dial was never consistent from one pot to the next. Likely no replacement parts available, but the thermostat can be bypassed and a PID used for control.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master
    Bypass the thermostat to see if it's the problem. I had to replace the hook up wires and connectors in mine for it to work like new. I got hi-temp wire and connectors from an appliance parts store. The stuff from Lowe's ain't going to last.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the replies. I found an old thread on this forum about a thermostat replacement from ppe.com with model number of B-200. Does anyone have experience with these? I can not bring up the pictures posted on the thread.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...yman-61-melter

This thread has a link to the PPE thermostat:

http://orders.ppe.com/odr/rbpperetail.htm?p-part=B-200

Boolit Master

just went thru this with a gifted mastercaster. first thing is to take the cover off the control box and replace or recrimp all the connections, bet this will solve all your problems. I was missing some parts and another cast boolit member gave me a derlict unit to salvage parts from, let me know if you need something, I just might have it. if the element got hot that is 99 percent of the battle, the rest can be fixed.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    just went thru this with a gifted mastercaster. first thing is to take the cover off the control box and replace or recrimp all the connections, bet this will solve all your problems. I was missing some parts and another cast boolit member gave me a derlict unit to salvage parts from, let me know if you need something, I just might have it. if the element got hot that is 99 percent of the battle, the rest can be fixed.
    Thanks for the response Rancher: I think you're telling me to clean my connectors or replace and recrimp. I bet I need to clean the prongs for the power cord too. All this would probably enhance current. I really appreciate it.

Boolit Master

I found a direct replacement cord at ace hardware

Boolit Mold
    Thanks Rancher: There are apparently 3 sizes of spacing on appliance cords. The one on my Mould Master is 1/2" spacing. I read a post on another old thread on this forum that the size of spacing on his was 11/16". So apparently there are 2 sizes of spacing on the Mould Master.
    I don't know when it changed. I think my Mould Master is a later model with an aluminum base. I think the older ones look like they have a cast iron base and has a Model no.61 on it. Mine does not. I also found an appliance cord at Ace Hardware that fits. I think cleaning the prongs is also important.
    By the way, I have an 11/16" appliance cord I bought that I don't need if anyone can use it.