Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: Ruger American Predator

Boolit Master

Ruger American Predator

Any one have one in 6mm or 6.5 creedmoor if so would you tell me about it do you like it would this make a good target
    rifle out to 600 yards and under
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master

Sorry, mine's a .308.
    Sure am happy with it though.
    I polished/smoothed the bolt and adjusted the trigger is all.

I'm sure someone has the combo you're interested in and will let you know.
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

Close friend has one in 6.5, shot out to 700 and it is very accurate, easy to shoot accurately too. I may be looking at one in the near future...
    "Give me liberty, or give me death!" Patrick Henry ,March 23, 1775

Vendor Sponsor

not that this will answer you caliber question but vouches for others comments
    I have one in 300 blackout sold at least 4 others and several 7-08's and all have been tack drivers for their owners.. Yes I am an FFL Holder
    for distance do NOT skimp on the scope .. and handloading precision will do you wonders
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master

thank you all I'm trying to reside between the Ruger and a Savage I'm wanting a 100 to 600 yard target rifle paper / steel
    and i like the way the Ruger looks

I'll probably pick one up in 308 when Magpul releases their stocks.

Boolit Master

At first I was thinking of the 308 but want a softer
    Shooter for paper and steel but it will come down to availability of components and cost

Boolit Master
    TC was running a sale on their budget rifle, the Compass with a 22" barrel. Priced about like the Ruger $350-ish but there's a $75 rebate on them good until December 31 this year. Food for thought.

Boolit Master

I've been thinking about the same gun in 6.5 creedmoor for the same reason as well then adding a Boyd's stock. I already have the American 308 compact and American 223 ranch and both shoot very well.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Had a .308 that seemed to shoot well, but seemed overkill for target work. Was looking at .243 or 6.5Cm for lower recoil and less costly components.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Minuteshaver View Post
    couldn't see how the 6.5 creedmore is more economical.
    well right now it's a toss up for me seeing that I do not own a 308 or a 6.5 I still nee to by dies and brass

Quote Originally Posted by LUCKYDAWG13 View Post
    thank you all I'm trying to reside between the Ruger and a Savage I'm wanting a 100 to 600 yard target rifle paper / steel
    and i like the way the Ruger looks
    I've owned both Ruger's and Savage rifles, every Savage I've owned outshot the Ruger's (noticeably more accurate). Even my Weatherby's are more accurate.

I liked the Ruger, really had no issues with it. In the couple I have had experience with, the Savage was more accurate. That said, I preferred the way the Ruger felt.

The original Axis wasn't made in a short action, and the Savage action is really long, so I thought the short action calibers were best in the Ruger for light weight and compact. If you are looking at a Savage 11 our something, it is a bit different story. Not sure what the story is on the AxisII, but the stocks are nearly identical on those and the Ruger.

The magazine in the Ruger is really cheap, makes one wish for a blind mag... The one Ruger sent as a replacement for the original worked ok. Haven't seen the Savage DBM, so can't comment.

Would bet that the Ruger would sell for a larger percentage of what you paid if you choose to sell it later, just because of the name.

More aftermarket parts for a Savage, if you care. I think.

I noticed that .243 bullets cost significantly less than .308, assumed 6.5 fell somewhere in between. In any case, .243 may be a contender?

I liked both, but after my limited experience, would probably buy the Savage unless I was more concerned about the balance than the accuracy.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Any Cal. View Post
    I

I noticed that .243 bullets cost significantly less than .308, assumed 6.5 fell somewhere in between. In any case, .243 may be a contender?

I liked both, but after my limited experience, would probably buy the Savage unless I was more concerned about the balance than the accuracy.
    I would be fine with the 243 I have and reload for one now ( Encore rifle ) but does not shoot heavy bullets well has a 1/10 twist the Ruger has a 1/9 twist
    would that stabilize a heaver bullet 100 / 107gr

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by LUCKYDAWG13 View Post
    I would be fine with the 243 I have and reload for one now ( Encore rifle ) but does not shoot heavy bullets well has a 1/10 twist the Ruger has a 1/9 twist
    would that stabilize a heaver bullet 100 / 107gr
    I actually got a MGM 6.5 CM 24" for my Encore, haven't done much shooting with it yet.

Boolit Master
    My brother bought the 6.5 Creedmore predator for my nephew. The gun shoots half inch groups with the hornady factory ammo. My nephew is 12 and has shot back to back half inch groups. My brother was so impressed with the Ruger he is going to buy himself one now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by warboar_21 View Post
    My brother bought the 6.5 Creedmore predator for my nephew. The gun shoots half inch groups with the hornady factory ammo. My nephew is 12 and has shot back to back half inch groups. My brother was so impressed with the Ruger he is going to buy himself one now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the report I haven't pulled the trigger on my New rifle yet but I think it's going to be a Savage 12Fv

I have the RARP in 223Rem and 6.5CM. The 223 shoots lights out at 300yds, 0.6MOA with certain loads. So I decided to get the 6.5CM. I have to say I'm disappointed in it. Best I can do with two of my best loads is 1.1MOA at 300yds. More development needed, for sure, but I've done quite a bit already. I know that what I'm getting out of it is pretty good for a budget rifle especially for hunting ...still, I had expected so much more at the range. I have not shot it out any farther.

Check out the Tikka T3X. I think it's available in 6.5 Creedmore.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

A decent video to watch