Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackbox
RotoMetals2WidenersInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: Hy Tec procedure question

Boolit Master

Hy Tec procedure question

I started a new thread for this question and didn't add it to the end of my last thread because I wanted to draw attention to the question. In an effort to minimize the thickness of my coats, I rinse out my plastic tub with acetone after each coating, I found out that if I didn't, the residual in the tub made the following coats thicker. Is this necessary? If not, how do you regulate the coating thickness?

Boolit Master
    I just keep using the same container for each coat without rinsing it out. Current coating bucket has a build up of coating around the middle, but this is not near the bottom where the bullets are getting coated.
    Don't sweat the small stuff.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Banned
    To make your coatings thinner, use less solution per pound of bullets.
    1 mil to 1 pound is standard, try a little less if this is too thick for you
    or you could add 10% more acetone or denatured alcohol, this slows the flash off time and also makes the coating thinner.
    If you are getting adhesion problems, you may not be letting the coating dry completely before baking

Boolit Master

1ml per lb is what I use, mixed 20gr/100ml. I swirl with the lid on, to slow the drying. I was getting rough coated bullets w/o the lid even swirling 20 sec. Was going to try the denatured alcohol mix, but reasoned that a lid would slow drying too- I was right, and I get smooth coats, this may leave more in the container tho come to think about it. When I rinse the container, the first coat is almost invisible and it takes 3 coats to get my bullets looking good.

I don't rinse either. There shouldn't be much residue if applying correctly. You can always add a bit more acetone to thin things out.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Buddy
    I coat with a lid on my container also but don't have a buildup as I use a thin coat. There is a light staining on the sides but not enough to cause any problems.

Boolit Master

What is your mix, how much do you add per lb boolits wlkjr?

Boolit Buddy
    It's in inexact science for me, kinda like how some women cook. I just use a quick squirt onto 5-6 lbs. of boolits, just a very light coat. Then I swirl in a closed Glad container with the lid on for about 20-30 seconds and then remove the lid and swirl another 10 or so seconds to finish coating. I then pour onto my screen which is my cooking tray.