WidenersLoad DataTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 7x57 rolling block with Lyman 287308 deer load needed

7x57 rolling block with Lyman 287308 deer load needed

Does anyone have a good load for deer using the Lyman 287308 bullet in a 7m/m Rolling Block. Shots no farther then 150 yards, small MO whitetails

Boolit Grand Master

24 - 26 gr H4895 with a Dacron filler. Mine were sized .287, GC and lubed with 2500+. Should run 1600 - 1900 fps.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Don't have any 4895. How about IMR 4198 0r 4227 ?

Boolit Master

Buy some? Buy Loading manual? Do not trust internet for reloading amounts is my motto.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    Buy some? Buy Loading manual? Do not trust internet for reloading amounts is my motto.
    Mr Gibson has forgotten more about Remington Rollers then I will ever know. I trust his loading data.
    Not trying to sound disrespectful , but there are many like me that cannot just go out and buy some. We do not have the means and or lucky to have what we have to work with. We live on some small incomes it is just not possible to go buy some.
    Last edited by brstevns; 07-23-2017 at 11:34 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Don't have any 4895. How about IMR 4198 0r 4227 ?
    I just picked up a 6.5 x 55 Swedish mauser and was frustrated at the lack of success with a 140 cast boolit. then I tried 4227 - what a difference!. I was shooting the 7 x 57 with 4350 but accuracy was only so-so. just yesterday I shot some new 7x 57 loads consisting of the rcbs 165 silhouette boolit, sized .285, over 22 grains of imr 4227. now that's my 7x 57 load! hit the 23x36 ram at 500 meters, and was shooting coffee-cup sized groups at 200 meters. works for me!

I believe a load of IMR 4227 22 gr would give a safe pressure for use in a Rolling Block. I will give it a try

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by brstevns View Post
    I believe a load of IMR 4227 22 gr would give a safe pressure for use in a Rolling Block. I will give it a try
    Yes, 21 - 22 gr 4227 should be quite safe in the RB. You might want to start at 19 gr, use a Dacron filler and work up to 23 gr.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Yes, 21 - 22 gr 4227 should be quite safe in the RB. You might want to start at 19 gr, use a Dacron filler and work up to 23 gr.
    Thanks will see how it goes.

Maybe not the place but any safe J-word loads for this rifle ?

In my 7x57 Roller I used 34.0 grains of IMR3031 (and 34.0 grains of IMR4064 is just as good) with 175 grain Hornady round nosed bullets loaded WAY out of the case and they shot very well for an old and abused military rifle. (I barely had the bullets seated in the case mouths and they were still well off the throat!)

By the way, if you haven't loaded much for your 7x57 Roller yet I'd suggest neck expanding your brass to make them oversized and then slowly turning your FL sizing die down until the shoulder length is at the correct headspace for your rifle and the brass will JUST chamber with the block fully closed. These old Rollers are a bit notorious for chambers with long headspace and mine definitely is!
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Banned
    brstevns,

FWIW, for RB rifles/rifled muskets, "The Load" is hard to beat at "woods ranges" to 150M. = 13 grains of Red Dot shotgun powder behind most any GCCB for 7mm works fine for WT.
    (WT just aren't that hard to kill. = My cousin has killed any number on our farm with a 158 grain LRN in .38SPL.)

yours, tex