MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLoad DataWidenersReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: Savage Model 25 WV in 22 Hornet

Boolit Master

Savage Model 25 WV in 22 Hornet

Thinking about getting one to shoot cast boolits.
    Anybody got one and if you do how do you like it?

I have the 25 lightweight varminter in 223 and love it.

Boolit Master

I had that Model 25 Savage in 22 Hornet, and it would not extract empty cases all the time. No, the cartridges were not over loaded. It had a Sako type extractor, but it just didn't work positively all the time. I even replaced the spring under the extractor, but it didn't help. Had to carry a cleaning rod every time I went shooting, just in case it left a case in the chamber. Did this also with Remington factory and Privi Partisan ammo.

I then bought a CZ 527 American in 22 Hornet, and have been happy, happy, happy.
    I deliberately bend up some Hornet brass, and while difficult to get chambered, the Mauser type bolt/extractor pulls them out and slings them across the room. I believe this rifle would rip the rim of a case if it had to.

The CZ is all wood and steel, no plastic trigger guard/floor plate, plastic mag, plastic mag release.

Maybe the Savage M25 I had was just a bad one, but I wouldn't sell the CZ 527 for twice the money I paid for it. Very, very accurate and 100% reliable.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Buddy
    I found a thumbhole for mine and really like it with the 225438, no check. The only negative that needs mention is the single load difficulty. Because of the counterbored bolt face, there is a nipple of a barrel extension to support the case near the bolt. It's impossible to get a cartridge into the chamber, by hand, that far into the gun. The good news is that the magazine is slick to use and hits almost every time.