Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxTitan Reloading
WidenersReloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spin-off From Tdoyka's Cape Buffalo/Bullet Question

Moderator Emeritus

One factor that may be coming into play in regards to the RB velocities, is that most ML's today, are rifled with shallow, faster twist grooves, so as to best fire the maxi-balls and conicals, and sabots that seem to be so popular today. The older RB guns, and modern reproductions thereof, have deeper grooves and a slower twist. Shooting RB's in barrels designed for conicals, tends to make them work best with milder charges, probably in the 1300 fps. range or somewhere not terribly far from that. That's enough to kill thin skinned game like deer, but an old, Long Tom RB gun with a full charge can do a LOT more than just the 1300 fps. range, and can even exceed 2000 fps by a bit.

I have Dillin's old book on Ky rifles, and in it, he has torn out targets shot at well in excess of 200 yds., and the group could easily be covered by the palm of a man's hand. Some of those old pioneers could really SHOOT, and their guns were capable of FAR more than most of us give them credit for. Dan'l Boone thought his "Big .50" with a RB was just the ticket for bear! We kind'a seem intent on "one-upping" our forefathers, and I'm sure they are rooting for us to continue, but the study of the history of our sport is fascinating, and VERY broad. I doubt anyone CAN learn all there is to know about the whole history and capabilities of all the guns we've ever invented and shot. That would cover more than a lifetime's study, really.

But we keep trying to stretch whatever understandings we have, and try to keep picking up further tidbits here and there. It's how we learn today.

Boolit Master

I really do not have any dog in this discussion.....but here is my .02: I have a Winchester/Browning Model 1885 Hi Wall (Miraku made in Japan) in 50-90 Sharps. I have only one mold for it that casts a 695 Gr boolit.

I set up my target of AR500 Steel plate at 400 yds and with a loading of 102 Gr of Swiss 1 1/2 BP and commence to pulverize my shoulder and miss the target a few times. I finally learn to stand over an elevated shooting table, use a rifle rest

and allow my whole body to absorb the recoil and with a thick pad at the shoulder I resumed my shooting a few weeks later.

I quickly learned that this rifle delivers a heartstopping amount of power at both ends of the rifle. I was now hitting the target and not screaming in pain anymore. However the heavy Creedmore style boolit was moving at 1245 FPS and smacked the steel target so hard that it was falling over on every shot.

A lot of walking back and forth was required until I decided to suspend the plate with chains from a rebar formed target stand. It was a PITA to transport and erect but it did allow the plate to move after being hit and negated some of the power of the round.

I got to the point where I could smack that target out to about 550 yds on a regular basis. Now I am looking for a lighter weight boolit mold that would allow me to shoot more and enjoy the rifle more.

I had my shooting buddy Blake Stephenson do a trigger job that only involved inserting a screw into the gizzards thru the stock mounting tunnel. It required a lot of adjustment to get it just right. Now the big rifle has a trigger pull of a measured 1 3/4 pounds. With the Kelly Soule sights mounted ($700) and utilizing the level and the globe front sight with a post on which a small round aperture is mounted on the top of and careful working up the this load I am getting some very decent accuracy.

However this a bear of a rifle and may just be to much for me to shoot much longer as I am turning 76 this month and I am slowing down more than I expected by this time.

Maybe it is time to sell this beast and concentrate on my two 38-55's for BP shooting. I have yet to dial in two 303's, a commercial Mauser from the early teens (1912), a Winchester 94 in 30-30 and a few handguns which I have yet to fire. I am retired but very busy and I tire easily.

I am still recovering from a nasty burglary some time ago and getting back into reloading and casting again I am noticing more items missing than I first reported. More paperwork and negotiation with my insurance carrier. They play a nasty game when you have full replacement cost coverage.

They depreciated everything that was stolen. They give a set of dies a lifespan of 20 years. So if a set of dies cost me $90 in 2007 they set the value of $45 and that is the amount they give you. If you replace the item and send them a receipt for the $90 they will pay the full cost. However this has to be done within 180 days. My Dillon XL650 with all the bells and whistles cost me $1150 but they gave me only $450 as it was depreciated a bunch since I owned it since 2002.

Now I have to play with receipts make copies and such and such and such. I had an X Box 360 console stolen along with a Canon Camera. They wanted proof that I bought the X Box and since I did not have a receipt they denied any amount for the item. The camera I provided proof of purchase by contacting the seller and they emailed me a copy of the bill. But of course they would only give me a smaller amount since it was a few years old. I plan to replace it with something a lot cheaper and smaller so that is that. These insurance companies get you coming and going.

I would recommend that everybody carefully photograph all your reloading and casting equipment and firearms and make two copies. One must go to a secure off site location in case of a fire or floor which could totally destroy everything including your photos and copies of receipts etc. Maybe a sibling or trusted friend could fill the bill here.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12