Reloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad Data
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eclipse

Boolit Master

Eclipse

Just curious who all might be traveling to see the full solar eclipse next month. I am going to the Central Oregon mountains to see it while camping a few days. The trick will be to avoid the main highways into places like Madras, Oregon because they will be 100-mile long parking lots. People in that area told us a month ago that some of the farmers have plowed under some alfalfa fields near Madras to rent them out to campers for the eclipse and have made hundreds of thousands of $ which is a lot more than the alfalfa would have been worth. It is a once in a lifetime experience and I want to see and hear how the wildlife will react.

Boolit Master

I'm gong to southern mo. and camp

Boolit Master
    "....plowed under some alfalfa fields near Madras to rent them out to campers for the eclipse and have made hundreds of thousands of $ which is a lot more than the alfalfa would have been worth."

Plus all the $$ saved in electricity costs of running irrigation pivots!

Hope everyone has a good and profitable time I will be watching from a chair on my deck assumung of course that it don't rain that day...

Boolit Master

I'm right in the line of total eclipse so just about anywhere outside the city lights will do. Depending on weather, I may just go out to my hunting area and experience it from there.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master
    Why would they plow the alfalfa under? All it needed is to be cut, then, after this brief event irrigating the fields would likely get it going again. Or am I missing something?
    R.D.M.

Banned

I dunno.
    people are acting like retards over this whole thing.
    rooms in a town nobody outside of Idaho has ever heard of are going for $285 a night.
    they are normally about 55$
    I'll probably drive up near Jackson hole or Island Park and have lunch, check out the whole thing, then come home.

I live right on the edge of the southern path limit so I think I will just grab one of my old hoods with a shade 14 in it and watch it from the yard if it's not to hot.
    The Bill of Rights - Void were prohibited by law.
    Soap Box, Ballot Box, Jury Box, Ammo Box. Which one of these is still working properly?
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyR...83SK1hk2GT-Jqg

Boolit Master
    I live about 3 hours drive from the path of total eclipse. I saw a news blurb a few months ago and thought I was on the leading edge of this thing and would get a room in Rexburg Id or Riverton Wy. No such luck. No room in either town for less than $1200 including bed bugs. I'll watch the weather and drive north a few hours.

Boolit Master
    The lady who owns a motel in Burns, Ore. where we stay going to and from NCBS said her place has been booked for over a year even though Burns is almost 50 miles south of totality for the eclipse. She is holding her regular prices (very good people and we like their place a lot so if you happen to be passing through, it is called the Horseshoe Inn) but other motels in Burns are up to over $400/night. She said nearly all the visitors are from Europe and Asia.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    It won't be full in my location, but I plan on fishing while it is going on, to see if it affects the bite.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

I'm one that couldn't care less about it. Was previously scheduled to be in Oregon but now I'm not. And I'm glad I'm not. Would have made rental car and hotel a complete pain.

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    I dunno.
    people are acting like retards over this whole thing.
    rooms in a town nobody outside of Idaho has ever heard of are going for $285 a night.
    they are normally about 55$
    I'll probably drive up near Jackson hole or Island Park and have lunch, check out the whole thing, then come home.
    Man I love your perspective and insight! Just cuts right through the bs and makes a point! That is so refreshing!

I have been planning on it for a while. I am planning a bit different view though.

I live about 85 Bonanza minutes north of the centerline. My plan is to fly to the centerline and turn easterly directly into the sun and then at the appropriate time eclipse.

The morning sun should be right in the middle of the windscreen and my wife can look at it from there. I will have my Rosen visor down and it should be no different than any other flight directly into the sunrise or set.

My interest is in seeing the shadow cross across the Oregon desert.

We will be at 17,500 feet and I believe I should be able to see both sides of the path of totality, as it will be less than 70 miles wide.

Another sight should be a bit of fancy coloring around the edges of the horizon where it is light against the darkness.

When it gets all done, I just turn north and be back home in time to go to work at my normal 1430.

That is the plan anyway. I hope that I am not wasting the only total eclipse that I will likely see, on this hair brained plan. Wish us luck.

I'll get a fairly full one at home, there is another in 2024 that will be an hour's drive East for actual totality, so I'll drive out to see that one. Of course I'm still young enough to expect to see 2024.
    "It is wrong always, everywhere, and for everyone to believe anything on insufficient evidence."
    -W. K. Clifford "The Ethics of Belief"

"They hate you if you're clever, and they despise a fool."
    -John Lennon "A Working Class Hero"

Boolit Master

I saw a total eclipse once, it's about as exciting as watching the neighbor mow his grass.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Grand Master
    I plan on driving to my sisters in Ft. Collins, CO and that morning, trying to make it to Glendo, Wy in time to see it.

I like the idea of "corbinace" and trying to see the entire width of the eclipse, but the other half doesn't enjoy flying much.

Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    I saw a total eclipse once, it's about as exciting as watching the neighbor mow his grass.
    I'll second that ! My neighbor is a pretty good lookin gal too ! Lol And if I do wanna see it there will be about 3 million videos on the internet of it happening
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Buddy
    Nashville is in the path. I think I may take off work due to traffic.

I live in Western Ky which just happens to be right in the path. My Wife, Daughter, and Granddaughter and I (possibly the son too) are planning on building a small fire in the front yard to roast marshmallows over during the big event. We've heard stories about how crazy expensive some rooms are going for around here for that date, and there was a news story a while back about people renting out their spare bedrooms for some extra cash. It'll be neat, but I wouldn't travel any to see it either. And no, my hobby room isn't for rent..... hmmmm... that would pay for a lot of supplies though!

Boolit Man
    Its a big deal here.

Total Solar Eclipse
    August 21, 2017
    Dannebrog Quick facts:
    Dannebrog is a village in Howard County, Nebraska, U.S.A. It is part of the Grand Island, Nebraska Micropolitan Statistical Area.
    Population 352
    Zip code:68831
    Many Hotels within 30 miles
    Many RV Parking sites
    Bathroom Facilities
    Only 20 miles from
    The Central Nebraska Regional Airport
    You can get here from there!
    2017 Nebraska Sesquicentennial official Event
    Why View the Eclipse in
    Dannebrog...
    Very Secure Small Town Atmosphere