RepackboxWidenersInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Load DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Eclipse

Boolit Master
    Myself I can't wait for it to be over. I am also in western KY right in the path of it. Hear traffic and the people are going to be bad. I am only 24 miles from Hopkinsville KY. Hear the main road from my town to Hopkinsville. Will be clogged with traffic. It's only 2 miles from my home. It's going to be a nightmare.

Boolit Master
    Corbinace - The eclipse seems to follow the spine of the mountains parallel to Hwy 26 in Oregon so seeing it cross the desert might be tough unless you head over to the Boise/Twin Falls area. I will be camping on a meadow right on the mountain ridge near a spring to watch wildlife (also a famous rock hounding area for agate, jasper, and opal to occupy my waiting for the event). My understanding is that the shadow moves at 1200 mph.
    Waksupi - I expect a full report on the bite!! Hope it is like the bite during an afternoon thunderstorm. Good luck!

Boolit Master

I plan on watching it on the internet and tv less of idiot people to deal with that way. Might go outside and watch the grass grow while the real thing is happening. funny part is what if it is cloudy and you can't see it
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

I'm getting a two-fer. Going down to Tenn. around Knoxville to see one of the kids. Will only have about an hour and a half drive south to be in them middle of the totality. Well that drive time is for "normal" traffic. I figure we better be up and on the road by about 7:30 am We are going to a park, going to have a picnic, take turns looking through my welders shield, I may try to take some pictures.

Going to park the camper at their house so no real cost there. It may be nothing super spectacular but I saw a partial one as a kid and it was fun, and some of the fun is just in taking part in something a little special with a bunch of other people. Otherwise why bother to ever go to a live sporting event? Except for the shared excitement and experience you can see the "game" better online or on TV.

That reminds me I'll have to hope my mobile hot spot has good signal, might be able to watch online as it progresses across country.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Vendor Sponsor

Shoot every time I go to Walmart I see 1 or 2 eclipse's, a litany of moon craters and all types of critters
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Well, I watched one when I was a little critter and it was a NOTHING event. You will damage your EYES if you stare at the sun for any length of time, even with the full eclipse. So, the only safe way to do it is a pinhole viewer or maybe a good welder's glass. Which is just slightly worse than watching the thing on 4K TV. I'm about a hundred and fifty miles from totality, somewhere about 93% so I figger that if the sun is shining, (very good possibility in August here) I might go out and take a peek and see what the critters think about it. Maybe even drink a beer to celebrate the sun returning. Will be early afternoon, so I guess that's ok. No dang way would I travel ANY distance for it, and You Gotta be an IDIOT to pay big $ for a hotel room. But I guess those guys in cali have to spend their $ on something.

HMMM, looked at a map, and saw there is one in 2024 that will be almost directly over my house. Guess I can rent out may pasture too! NOT!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Handloader109 View Post
    Well, I watched one when I was a little critter and it was a NOTHING event. You will damage your EYES if you stare at the sun for any length of time, even with the full eclipse. So, the only safe way to do it is a pinhole viewer or maybe a good welder's glass. Which is just slightly worse than watching the thing on 4K TV. I'm about a hundred and fifty miles from totality, somewhere about 93% so I figger that if the sun is shining, (very good possibility in August here) I might go out and take a peek and see what the critters think about it. Maybe even drink a beer to celebrate the sun returning. Will be early afternoon, so I guess that's ok. No dang way would I travel ANY distance for it, and You Gotta be an IDIOT to pay big $ for a hotel room. But I guess those guys in cali have to spend their $ on something.

HMMM, looked at a map, and saw there is one in 2024 that will be almost directly over my house. Guess I can rent out may pasture too! NOT!
    It is perfectly safe to look at the sun during a TOTAL eclipse with your bare eyes (but not a bare telescope). You need special equipment for a PARTIAL eclipse, though.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rwadley View Post
    It is perfectly safe to look at the sun during a TOTAL eclipse with your bare eyes (but not a bare telescope). You need special equipment for a PARTIAL eclipse, though.
    I'm not sure that's true, depending on the intensity of the corona...and it would certainly only apply at the two minutes of totality. One the moon starts moving away it's a retina fryer.

I'm kinda at the other end of the state from the path of totality. It would actually be closer for me to just drive south into central TN than to western KY. Hopkinsville is the point of maximum totality so it's hard to imagine the army of invaders clogging every parking lot and highway median.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Elkins45 View Post
    I'm not sure that's true, depending on the intensity of the corona...and it would certainly only apply at the two minutes of totality. One the moon starts moving away it's a retina fryer.

I'm kinda at the other end of the state from the path of totality. It would actually be closer for me to just drive south into central TN than to western KY. Hopkinsville is the point of maximum totality so it's hard to imagine the army of invaders clogging every parking lot and highway median.
    I was only referring to the 2 minutes of totality.

See the second FAQ here: https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/faq

Seen several, another isn't very interesting. Here is a good site for those interested in that stuff. Spaceweather.com
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

Rekon' I'll be working, like most days.

Boolit Master

You guys with family/kids - please buy a bunch of the cheap "eclipse eyeglasses" (even some Made in USA !) for couple bucks each(they're just cardboard and polymer) off the ole interweb and DO NOT let the little ones look up without "em at any time or place where the eclipse is not total.
    Even though you can look without pain at a partial, the eye damage can be permanent.
    Bought a bunch from American Paper Optics for my family.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12