Load DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: Opinions on RCBS bullet collator vs Hornady collator

Boolit Master

Opinions on RCBS bullet collator vs Hornady collator

I'm interested in folks experiences with RCBS and Hornady bullet collators. I'm not really interested in the actual bullet feeder/seater die, just the collator.

Do you get many upside down drops?

Does the bullet style affect it? SWC, RN, etc.

How about switching calibers?

It looks like they turn off automatically wen the stack is full. Any issues with that?

General opions? Are they good to go? Or do you wish you never saw one and have had periodic fits of madness since purchasing it.
    [

Thought the Hornady unit is always rattling bullets around, did they change it?

Boolit Master
    Yep...it has an auto off when the tube is filled.
    [

Boolit Buddy
    I have the Hornady. Shuts off when tube is full. Have to swap out the actual collator disc to change calibers. I have one for 45 and 9s. Every once in a while a bullet will get under the disk and jam. Only once in awhile. I think mostly if I don't tighten it down correctly. I have used all types of bullet shapes with no issues.
    I have no experience with RCBS.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Screw it....I went with a Mr. Bullet Feeder collator. They sold me the collator and only the bits I needed and removed the ones I didn't. It'll use the Mr. Bullet Feeder collator and microswitch and drop into my GSI toolhead. I should be able to load most any style of 9mm/38 and 45 with only two bullet plates.

Hopefully, it will be an easy task to transition from the Mr. Bullet Feeder to the GSI.
    [

1050 or 650?

Boolit Master
    650...1050 in the wings. I think that the GSI 650 and 1050 tool-heads are works of art.
    [

I make my own collators but they are like the KISS collators that later became MRbulletfeeder. I made the bottom mount telescope over 1" tubing so I can use the same collator on my sizing machines and press, just slide it on/off the different posts. The GSI toolhead already had a clamp for 1" round.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Boolit Master
    I am going to try and "McGuyver" the connection between the Mr. Bullet Feeder drop tube with the micro switch in it to the GSI's cast aluminum connector. I may try and mount the MBF micro switch in place of the GSI's. The MBF's switch is only zip tied on.

The collator and associated parts are due to show Monday. As I said, the folks at Double Alpha just jumped right in to help me. They fragged and pilaged a 45 caliber unit and a 9mm conversion kit and got them boxed up and out the same day I called.

Since this stuff is mostly hooked up with 1" springs and clear plastic tubes I'm hoping I don't have to invent too much.

What I'm really looking forward to is having a reliable collator. It looks like you can configure the MBF to drop almost amy caliber or style of bullet. The GSI toolhead is genius but that collator is not veristile in the least. I've gotten it to drop 185gr SWC 45 caliber bullets perfectly. It never fails. However, that's all it will drop. When you change bullet styles, like to a 230gr RN...you're done. At the very least need anothet ring and then go through the agonoy of screwing with it endlessly to stop it from jaming...I never did on some.

I may do something weird like try and keep both collators. I'm EXTREMELY happy with the 45scp 185's perfomance but I want to use my 650 to load other calibers, like 357. I think I have enough room to hang the MBF and not be in the way of the GSI's. I'm hoping I can make it so it's a quick disconnect and reconnect. from one to the other.
    [

I could never get my Hornady collators to work right, so I sold them both. WAY too much of a PITA to get them configured correctly.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 308Jeff View Post
    I could never get my Hornady collators to work right, so I sold them both. WAY too much of a PITA to get them configured correctly.
    I'm glad to hear that...maybe I finally made a good decision going with a Mr. Bullet Feeder Collator.
    [