Snyders JerkyRepackboxReloading EverythingLoad Data
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWidenersLee Precision
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scrap Lead Prices

Boolit Buddy

Scrap Lead Prices

Posted a local want-ad for lead ballast plates, and only got one reply. Except the dude had 190# of lead in a single block. Zoikes! Besides my initial shock, he wanted $2/#. So my question is, does that sound like a fair price, and how easy is it to reduce that block to manageable sizes? Sawzall with metal blade? Pocket knife?
    Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ... lasts forever.
    Retired USN
    NRA Life

Boolit Master

I wouldn't pay $2/# for unknown lead when you can buy known wheelweight ot pure/soft here for $1/# shipped or $1/# plus shipping. For $1.50/# Id be looking for certified foundry alloy or a good deal on lino for $2/#

Vendor Sponsor

Yup. He is dreaming and I would not give him the time of day.

35 to 50 cents a pound for that would be my top offer.

I would have five twenty dollar bills in my pocket and wave four of them at him. One more to make the deal if needed and never look back if he wants more.

The world is still full of inexpensive lead. Hang in there.
    Chill Wills

Im curious as to the going price of lead in SE-AK.

Boolit Grand Master

$2 a pound for unknown lead is about 4 or 5 times too much, in my opinion. A chunk weighing 190# is going to be hard for some to deal with. You can cut it with a hand saw, easy enough, or any number of power tools. You can also whittle pieces off of it with an ax or a hammer and wedge. I would forget the pocket knife! Its a little bit of work. Like has been said, you can buy known lead from members here for $1 a pound plus shipping, already to use.
    Last edited by lightman; 07-20-2017 at 05:25 PM.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Right now, if he is wanting $2/# it sounds like he has a 190# paperweight that he can will to his children . . . . .

If you don't have a scrap yard near you - you'd be better off buying from members on this site. I used to go to the scrap yards and buy lead - usually cable sheathing - then smelt it down. That source dried up. I've been buying pure lead and range lead from members here and what I consider fair prices for the work they put in to it to smelt and pour into ingots. Anything I have ever purchased here has been great stuff and it saves me from having to scrounge where I'm at.

I have a connection with a plumber that I have had do work for me and I asked him if he had any lead to please save it for me and I'd pay whatever the scrap price was for it. He said he usually saves it over time and then takes it to the scrap yard He's a younger fellow - very nice and does great work - but I can tell that he is worried about even taking it to the scrap yard and possibly having any fall of the truck for fear of causing a "contamination" problem. I'm guessing that with all the lead poisoning issues in Flint, MI, etc. that the industry is treading on soft ground when it comes to lead. He usually gets soft lead from cast iron pipe joints, flashing, etc. so hopefully I'll be able to get some from him at some point. If not, I still have a good supply on my shelf that will last me a long time.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    Im curious as to the going price of lead in SE-AK.
    That's just it, I have no basis. Most of the auto-garage wheel weight lead has been long spoken for mainly by folks making downrigger trolling weights (it's a fishing area). There isn't a huge dark market in lead that I'm aware of, so scoring some ballast plates from an old fishing vessel seemed like the next step.
    Retired USN
    NRA Life

Vendor Sponsor

Scorpion8
    members sell good quality lead right here and USPS Shipping to AK is no more than anywhere else in the US
    I would take advantage of their services and have a KNOWN product
    YMMV
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Grand Master
    he must have had a bunch of labor involved that might reflect the price
    but 2 bucks for lead is way out there you can get it from rotometals cheaper
    and have it shipped to you
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    I can buy pure lead at the shop for $1.35 a lb. this is pipe and sheet. around here the yards are paying .30 a lb. so I am offering .60. put an add on craigslist paying .60. got the replies of I have some I want $2.00 a lb. I told them to keep it.

You can buy from vendors here for a bit over $1/# delivered. Linotype at $2/#, all day, but not scrap lead.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master
    Figure out how much ya might need.

Lets say .45 cal. ... runs about 25-30 +/- using 180gr. to over 230gr. to the pound.

9mm runs a lot higher to get out of a pound, with just an example of 120gr. is about 58 or so to the pound.

It is gonna depend on what ya shoot & how much ya shoot & whether or not you "save" the lead using a berm or bullet trap.

Another thing is that you can figure out , depending on what you are using for a firearm, how ya want to alloy what ya use.

Maybe trade around for what ya want.

Around here I have a place that I get sheet metal lead from X-ray demolition( with sheetrock & glue to smeltout) for about 78-80 cents a pound. If you can't do better than that, I would go with the folks here who say to buy from the vendors here.

When my, "mine" runs out... then I am going to do the same. The Vendors here are pretty good folks & not gonna cheat ya. It is their lively hood in some cases... Same with Brass..

This guy wanting $2+/- a pound is looking for a sucker... don't be a sucker... Offer him 60 cent a pound , or less (50 cents +/- if ya want) to whatever your conscience allows... in cash....
    & see how he acts. If he doesn't take it.. like someone said.. let him have a big paperweight for his kids..

G'luck! But don't let having a great amount of alloy around stop ya. Use what ya can & get out there & DO IT!

Things will come around for ya.

2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    Just as an example & it is not a vendor...
    See Item #5 in the OP (First post) just for an example.. :
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ead-w-Linotype

G'Luck!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Buddy
    Well I did some checking, and my local scrap place pays $0.22/# for lead, but had none in stock if I wanted to buy it. Shucks. And I went to visit Mr.High Dollar, and he would not budge off $2/# to buy his so he still owns it. Good luck to him.
    Retired USN
    NRA Life

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion8 View Post
    Well I did some checking, and my local scrap place pays $0.22/# for lead, but had none in stock if I wanted to buy it. Shucks. And I went to visit Mr.High Dollar, and he would not budge off $2/# to buy his so he still owns it. Good luck to him.
    I just sold two 70lb boxes of smelted sheet lead here for around $1.10/lb. Shipping to anywhere in the USA was about $15. Seems to be the going rate on the forum - $1-1.30/lb for low-tin alloys.

Arclight

Boolit Master

agree $1.25 to $1.30 is going rate. While I love free lead this isn't bad and fair for everyone.

similar story: indoor gun range did some clean up and cast some 1 lb ingots. Wanted $4 per...still there over a year later.
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master
    I think the price of lead is going UP. Have had to buy 3 car batteries lately and the price has doubled since I last bought batteries. My mechanic tells me that California batteries have less lead and only last 2-3 years. I think we were lied to about Doe Run. The previous admnistration lied about lots of things.

Banned
    I advertise twice what the local scrap yard is paying (.40c # )and do fairly well

At $4 per pound it should come with flowers and chocolates.
    The swapping and selling forum here is the best semi-commercial source outside of a good deal found locally. And in the case of some things such as WW lead the offerings in S&S forum around $1 a pound is comparable to cost of driving around buying your own at scrap prices of 40 cents a pound, then melting and casting as ingots. Clean ingots vs. driving and propane and time spent and non-lead WW's in the bucket with lead WW's purchased locally that are basically scrap purchased at full price.

100% agree with prior post suggesting think about it as cost per bullet. $11.50 worth of lead @ $1 a pound makes 500 158 grain .38 special. Those same 500 would run around $60 at Cabela's. If you are out there looking for lead, sooner or later you will find a deal. Until then a steady supply can be had at really good prices from the forum's S&S area. That $63 - $70 worth of COWW lead from one of the site members in a MFRB will arrive at your doorstep, ready to use and make around 2,500 bullets. Need more than that? Buy 2
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master

I called a local dive shop to see if they were interested in buying some dive weights.
    He says sure. $1 a pound. I say that`s no more than scrap price, thinking already cast weights would be worth more.
    He says , Yep....dale

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast