RepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Scrap Lead Prices

Boolit Bub
    In my area it is all over the ball field. I've seen guys advertise scrap leftover flashing for 2 bucks a pound. And ingots for as low as .70 cents a pound. The lowest I've managed to talk anyone down to when buying in quantity was .55 cents locally. The scrap yards around here are hit or miss as well. And wheel weights are dried up. So when I see a deal I generally try to jump on it. One guy recently advertised 200 pounds for 300 within a few weeks he was at 200 than 150. I jumped on it at the 150 but once I got there it scaled in at 175 pounds. So I ended up paying 125 bucks because I think it embarrassed him that his weight was off. I think it was an honest mistake. Always make sure you weigh it yourself.

Boolit Master

........your area? Why don't you put your area in your handle header?

SE Michigan, birdshot has been about $40 a bag, a whole lot cheaper than what this guy is asking.

And considerably easier to handle.

I was at a Salvation Army store that recently has begun pricing pewter items at prices that are nuts. They used to have decent prices, I think they hired someone that looks it up on evil bay and thinks asking price = value, as opposed to checking sold for prices.

I finally figured time for some edumacation of store staff. I took a small (coffee cup sized) mug to the cash register. The bottom edge was dented and rolled over, so it wouldn't sit flat. Handle was bent, and bottom had been hit with steel wool or sand paper to read the hallmark. leaving the bottom badly scratched. Price was $2.99 weight was maybe a couple of oz. Much less than 1/4 of a pound.

I pointed out that I had noticed a sudden increase in prices for these "tin" items.

Explained that the prices were well over the going rate, which is why those small weighted candle holders at $15 were still on the shelf after a month. IF this cup was for some reason "collectable" the fact that the edge was badly damaged would make it nearly worthless, and if it was in excellent shape the damage done to the bottom to read the hallmark would reduce the value a great deal. Further the cup lacked any dull gray patina of age so it wasn't old, and since it lacked the black coloration to the little bit of patina it had that would indicate it was post 1970's pewter because after the 70's there was no lead in pewter so it didn't turn black with age. Further that pewter wasn't a "precious" metal it was simply a tin alloy, like solder you buy at the hardware store. While it was possible a genuine antique piece of pewter might come in I have not seen one piece in 7 years I have been coming in to this and other thrift stores.

I was asked if I wanted to buy it for a reduced price, I said it wasn't worth over 50 cents, and the best use of it would be to give it to manager and ask "what were they thinking?" so they might improve the pricing in the future.

Same thing happened at another Salvation Army store. Pewter prices skyrocketed even if the piece was too badly damaged to possibly have antique, collectable, or even just decorative value. So beat up I wouldn't have to even kick it across the parking lot to keep wife from taking it. Looked like it already been done bringing it in. Worker told me a new person was doing all the pricing of that stuff.
    Last edited by RogerDat; 08-02-2017 at 11:01 AM.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Bub
    Sounds like he will have that for awhile.

Boolit Man

Local scrap yard sells what they call clean lead - sheets from old Xray rooms, plumbers ingots, pipes, roof vents, old BI sewer pipe pours, bar & roll solder, etc for $0.60 / #
    The yard about 20 miles north sells the same stuff for $2.00 / #. Only stopped in once to ask. He had LOTS HUMMMMMM

Local yard WW price I think was $0.50 / # and you can sort and take what you want.

Local tire shops won't sell to usens any longer (uesd to givit away if ud haulit off) - queered by EPA - now take about $0.20 / # from the same guy that sells it to usens for $0.50

Boolit Man

Ballast weights for sail boats are like dive weights.
    Any old lead anything that will melt.

Boolit Buddy
    I did find some old dive weights, but they were pitted severely. Likewise some commercial fishing boat ballast, but it was also pitted and the guy wouldn't split the piece. I have been able to bring home some scrap lead from the bullet traps at the indoor range that I volunteer at, but it has a LOT of waste jacket material and is of unknown quality. Still ashes to ashes, bullets to bullets right? The hunt goes on....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Range Lead 2.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	201061
    Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ... lasts forever.
    Retired USN
    NRA Life

Moderator Emeritus

I'm not sure what a dump truck full of range scrap is going for these days?

Name:	range scrap tonka truck.jpg 
Views:	434 
Size:	82.2 KB 
ID:	201078
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Man

Now THAT's a cool Pix

Boolit Grand Master

Those complaining about scrap price and availability will really have their panties in a wad in another couple years when the commercial metal outfits are the only sources.
    Quit complaining and get what is available.
    It isn't going to get better, and the past is gone forever.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I say that`s no more than scrap price, thinking already cast weights would be worth more.
    Already made dive weights - 3 bucks for 1 pounders
    Regards
    John

Quote Originally Posted by mold maker View Post
    Those complaining about scrap price and availability will really have their panties in a wad in another couple years when the commercial metal outfits are the only sources.
    Quit complaining and get what is available.
    It isn't going to get better, and the past is gone forever.
    Now some folks figure too much is still a little short of enough, I'm not going to argue with them but my own approach is get what you can until you have what you need then slow down to replace plus a little over. Keep an eye out for deals or especially good alloys but if you shoot 100# a year and have 2,000 lbs. on hand... 20 years after lead can't be had except at commercial prices your going to be running low. I can deal with that.

Key piece there is mold maker is right, get what you need now, it's not going to spoil and it won't get more plentiful. Just like saving for retirement, it works best to just steadily plug away at it. You can buy 60# on the S&S forum for about $1 a pound. Even if you can only buy one every 3 months that is still 240# by the end of the year. That would be around 8,000 200 grain 45 ACP bullets. Do that for a couple of years and you will be able to tolerate a change in price or availability much better. And while your at it who knows, if your looking for lead you might just find a deal.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master

I Just had the same bad experience here. About 12 months ago I went on base to the tire shop and got enough to last till now. They just gave it to me for cleaning up their shop. I went around today to start rebuilding my stock and every tire store told me it was contracted out now and they wouldn't give it to me. I might have to suck it up and buy it. A dollar per pound still sounds better than 35 dollars for 50 jacketed bullets.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Banned
    About the ballast plates: I live in Wisconsin. There is guy on lake Michigan who has lead from old boats that he will jump at the chance to sell for $1 a lb in big chunks. If I were you I would go down to the docks and ask around. I bet you will find something a LOT LOT better than $2.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post

Now those are some big bullets. Must weigh about 50 to 100lbs per bullet.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post

LOLOL Thanks!

That is a great one!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Attachment 201172I just gave .50 cents per lb for this 86lb bucket of lead. Scrap dealer only gave 25Cents per lb for it, so he doubled his $ and I left happy.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    Attachment 201172I just gave .50 cents per lb for this 86lb bucket of lead. Scrap dealer only gave 25Cents per lb for it, so he doubled his $ and I left happy.
    Nice!

That stuff usually costs me about 75-80 cents/lb up to a frogskin/pound around here , and is not so easy to come by for me...
    Get it when ya can.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    Those aren't Tonka.
    Last edited by jdfoxinc; 08-06-2017 at 09:16 AM. Reason: #%;&7*_ auto correct

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast