RotoMetals2WidenersInline FabricationReloading Everything
Load DataTitan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: If A Nessmuk And A Cleaver Bred...

Post If A Nessmuk And A Cleaver Bred...

...a Marttiini MN110 Big Bear Skinner would hatch.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	couteau-bowie-marttiini-big-bear-skinner-acier-inox-manche-kraton-etui-nylon-made-in-finland-mn1.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	30.6 KB 
ID:	199973

I got one of these awhile back because I thought that its unique blade shape offered great utility. Using it has proved me right; and, since they've been discontinued by Martiini and are on Ebay and Amazon on closeouts for as little as $15 and change, I thought I'd share here so some other Cast Booliteers might score a unique and uniquely useful knife at a great bargain price.

Martiinis have mostly replaced Moras for me as utilitarian knives. They've all the best qualities, a few of their own, much better sheaths, and greater variety at very few dollars more.

This one, though, is all about that odd blade shape. The gentle full length curve makes it a fine skinner, per name and design. The drop point makes it more usable for starting cuts or gutting than the highly swept points of traditional skinners. The width and handle position keeps fingers out of the way and safer and let it double very nicely as as a camp chef's knife after the game dressing is done. While I tend to keep game knives for game, to keep edges keenest when needed most; I had to try it on some general chores to see if it'd serve as well beyond making meat as it does there, and it does. That strange blade shape just works.

Under ain't any free lunches: Its size and width do make it almost useless for, sorry, the around the anus cut when field dressing and in the bird and trout knife role.

This odd, inexpensive, utilitarian knife has earned a place in my daypack or on my belt; edging out much better knives. With them available as such bargains (I should buy a second one.), but maybe not for long; I thought it time to share.
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Boolit Mold
    Ordered one of these knifes and I must say for the money it's a heck of a knife . I'm thinking around camp knife and it's scary sharp to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by 401pm View Post
    ...and it's scary sharp to boot.
    Yes, I'm very impressed by their out of the box edge, especially for the price.
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.