Load DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
WidenersRepackboxTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rounded bands ok?

Boolit Mold

Rounded bands ok?

I just cast my first non black powder boolits and I have some with rounded corners on the lower band on half the boolit.

I was using the NOE 360-180 mold.

I'm figuring the problem was to tight of a sprue plate. You learn a lot when you start casting.

The boolits measure .360 and the bases are square and I'll be using gas checks.

Do I start over? Or should they shoot fine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

if you have to ask, pitch em. I am not that picky, but then again mine are just plinking loads.

Boolit Master

Rounded bands sounds like the temp is a little too cool.

Banned
    how may boolits did you cast?
    did you preheat the mold? pour fill-out could be from a cold mold
    You need to either add some tin/pewter to help the lead flow better or turn up the pot temperature.
    they will shot safely but may not be quite as accurate as they could be

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    if you have to ask, pitch em. I am not that picky, but then again mine are just plinking loads.
    that would be my opinion. If i see any visible flaws they just get dumped right back in the pot. Doesn't matter if I catch it when casting or after they've been coated and sized. Sometimes a goober slips through and I catch it when loading them up.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Moderator Emeritus

If you're talking about rounded bases, they may shoot OK, but it's an indication that your metal or mold wasn't hot enough. I always put these back in and remelt them, and try again. I like good, crisply sharp bases on my bullets, but my standards for what makes a "good bullet" are a bit critical. Can't shoot really well with mediocre bullets!

Boolit Mold
    That's a bummer. They all look great except for some rounding on half the lower band on a few and the diameter is correct, just wondered if the gas check would make it inconsequential.

I'm running about 4% tin and some of the boolits were a little frosty so I figured the issue had to be the tight sprue plate.

Super Moderator

To me they are rejects, and I throw them in my sprue bucket and remelt them for the next batch. The gas check may make it inconsequential, but I still wouldn't waste a gas check on a boolit that wasn't properly filled out.

Boolit Grand Master

Are you going to size them? If so the rounded bands may disappear when you do so. While I prefer to cast perfect bullets. Some are used strictly for range use so I'm not real particular. As long as the base is sharp and there are no visible voids I load them up and shoot them. This isn't optimal by any stretch. But when shooting at 7-10 yards I've found no discernible difference on target.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm pretty picky about my bullets and strive for perfection. Some of my friends say I'm too picky. I would remelt them. I expect my cast to shoot as well as factory, and they do. It sounds like your temp is too low, either the alloy or mold temp.

Boolit Buddy
    The last imperfection to disappear on my boolits when starting a casting session are rounded bands. They're usually remelted but Ive sized a bunch and they shoot fine.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Do I start over? Or should they shoot fine?
    Set them aside for comparison...
    Your next casting session: heat the pot met and the mold up to a temperature so with a 5 second pour ... the sprue puddle FROSTS in 5-8 seconds. Then compare the 1st batch round bands and 2nd batch for bell curve weight variance and base diameters.
    Believe you'll put the 1st batch back in the pot
    Regards
    John

Vendor Sponsor

FOR ME ..you may choose differently

In a rifle for any target or hunting rounds these will be rejects
    in a pistol for carry or defense ...rejects .. plinking rounds they may be fine Just don't expect great accuracy
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Grand Master
    you boolits your call
    like the others have said it depends on their intended use
    I wouldn't worry to much about them for cuttin paper
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Shoot a few, melt the rest, try again.

Boolit Grand Master

If you are going to cast and have spent money on a good mould you might as well do it right.
    Moulds usually take two or three casting sessions to get broken in and seasoned, consider this a break in . I like them near perfect , well filled out sharp edges .
    Heat the mould well , I start at with the alloy at 750 , pour a good sized sprue and let it harden before cutting. If they start getting frosty, turn the heat down a little, I get my best right at the frosty temperature.
    You will learn , it just takes a little doing and practice.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

My experience with NOE molds-it takes 2-3 heat cycles before they work great for me, you need to use a hot plate to get the molds hot enough, once you start casting set a fast pace-don't stop to look at your product!
    YMMV
    I'd shoot them!
    NRA Benefactor Member

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for all the help. I'm gonna go through what I have and do a do over after keeping only the near perfect ones.

saalfelder, save about 10 of those with rounded bands and load them in your next session. Shoot them for accuracy against some of your best boolits and see if there is any difference. From my experience, I have shot some from my most accurate revolver(scoped) and was surprised to find that they shot as well as the best ones. Worth a try, if just to satisfy the question, if nothing else. If you do shoot them, let us know the results. Pics are always welcome here.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    saalfelder, save about 10 of those with rounded bands and load them in your next session. Shoot them for accuracy against some of your best boolits and see if there is any difference. From my experience, I have shot some from my most accurate revolver(scoped) and was surprised to find that they shot as well as the best ones. Worth a try, if just to satisfy the question, if nothing else. If you do shoot them, let us know the results. Pics are always welcome here.
    I need to do this myself. I saved a Ziplock bag of selected rejects from a recent casting session for this purpose. Maybe I can get around to it when it starts cooling off. I can cast a near perfect bullet and I struggle with the idea of accepting less.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast