WidenersTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad Data
Repackbox Reloading Everything

Thread: Peabody - Martini Breech Block Interchange ??

Boolit Grand Master

Peabody - Martini Breech Block Interchange ??

Greetings
    My question is will the breechblock from a Martini center fire fit in a Peobody Rim fire cakiber .50 frame ? I know it is a longshot but if that Martini will fit or even a few hairs too long that would simplify a change.
    Maybe even just the firing pin from a Martini center fire......
    Mike in Peru Better known as LLama Land.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings
    Found several interesting articles on the history of the Peabody designs with excellent photos. The Martini Breech Blocks are not the same as far as firing pin arrangement being fired by the internal hammer. So scratch this idea. Headed back to plan "A".
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Bub
    Years ago (late 80's) I converted a 50 rim fire Peabody rifle to center fire. Dixie gun works had rim fire breach blocks and center fire firing pins, I remember buying an extra breach block and a couple of the firing pins. It turned out to be a very easy conversion, done with just a drill press with a 2 axis drill vise and a flat bottom mill. The breach blocks are just face hardened and cut nicely with this setup. Just last week I came across a few rounds of Dixie's 56-50 rim fire brass that uses 22 rim fire blanks as primers, that I bought to use before I did the conversion, I don't think I ever even tried them. Well good luck with your project.

Boolit Master

No sorry, but the block can be converted to center fire, it requires machining and the rf pin needs an offset welded on. I have done it to two to make 50/70 carbines got the method from a converted action made to shoot a line using the 50/70 blank.

The actual centerfire pin has the offset needed if I remember right it has been 20 + years.

Boolit Man
    Fun guns to shoot. I own one and its an easy conversion. Just google it and you'll be suprised how easy it iz.

Boolit Buddy
    The Peabody sidehammer breechblocks are essentially interchangeable with other Peabody sidehammer guns. The hammers for the short trough breechblocks have a non-tapered nose, which will interfere with the narrower firing pin notch in the long trough blocks (.45-70, .43 Spanish) Those blocks need the narrower tapered nose of the otherwise identical Peabody hammer. No Martini or Peabody-Martini breechblocks will fit or work in the Peabody sidehammers, nor will any Martini firing pins be adaptable to any of the Peabody sidehammer breechblocks.

As mentioned previously, the rimfire Peabody blocks can be converted to centerfire by a competent gunsmith with machine capability (as opposed to a "parts-swapper.)
    John Wells in PA

Peabody's and Peabody-Martini's wanted
    Also shoot a 10-PDR Parrott Rifle in competition