WidenersReloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Load DataLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading

Thread: Original Remington New Army?

Boolit Master

Original Remington New Army?

I'm helping a dear friend sell off her late father's estate. She brought over this really cool old gun. To me it seems to be a Remington 44cal New Model Army, but in truth I don't know much about Remington revolvers. Is this real or a repo made to look old?

Serial number under the barrel and patent information on top.

"S" on the brass trigger guard.

"A" and "s" on the left hand side of barrel and frame.
    Two "J"s on the right hand side of barrel and frame.

An "A" near the hammer.

An "S" and "j" on the cylinder and matching numbers on the star.

The thing that concerns me is how the bluing on the barrel seems to be brighter than the rest of the gun. Any thoughts and information would be greatly appreciated.

Any idea if this is all original? Any idea of the value?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I don't want men who miss." -Capt. Leander H. McNelly

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndAmendmentNut View Post
    I'm helping a dear friend sell off her late father's estate. She brought over this really cool old gun. To me it seems to be a Remington 44cal New Model Army, but in truth I don't know much about Remington revolvers. Is this real or a repo made to look old?

An "A" near the hammer.

The thing that concerns me is how the bluing on the barrel seems to be brighter than the rest of the gun. Any thoughts and information would be greatly appreciated.

First do not do anything to the firearm, Especially cleaning it.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by mdhillbilly1 View Post

This was copied from the below link and it appears to be about your firearm. Their is some more information at that location.

"PATENTED DEC. 17, 1861/MANUFACTURED BY REMINGTON'S ILION, N.Y.,"

THIS IS ALL THE INFO HE SENT ME....

"My father did quite a bit of research on his rarer guns and here is a little info that he had told me about and I then found references to online (more in depth information):

1. On the 1858 Remington There was another well thought out innovation that first appeared on late 1862 Old Model Armies and that was a small slot that was milled at the end of the cylinder in between the space between each cylinder so that the hammer could be rested on it. This meant that all six cylinders could be loaded and the gun carried quite safely knowing that if the hammer got knocked it would not hit a percussion cap consequently firing the gun (this wasn’t done on the first few thousand pistols; so, it is not the earliest of the three model transitions). Another indicator of the earliest model is the first large-framed revolvers made by E. Remington & sons were based on "Beals" 1858 patent, collectors call these first revolvers "Beals" models. About 2,000 were made in the army model, and slightly more in the "Navy" model. The army was .44 cal, with an 8" barrel while the navy model was in .36 cal with a 7 3/8" barrel. Finally, is the serial number on it (in the 6,000’s) This is a scarcer version of the Remington Army revolvers with varying estimates of 6,000 to just under 10,000 Old Models being produced. The Old Model Army serial numbers starts at where the Remington-Beals Army model ended at approximately number 1,900 and runs up to around number 10,000, where the more common "Transition" models of the Old Model Army begin. The serial number of this particular revolver is in the 2,100 range. The easiest Way to distinguish an Old Model Army from the "Transition" model and the subsequent New Model Army is the two-line barrel legend that is stamped "PATENTED DEC. 17, 1861/MANUFACTURED BY REMINGTON'S ILION, N.Y.," the dovetailed German-silver front sight, the longer hammer spur, and the channel cut along the top of the loading lever to allow removal of the cylinder without dropping the lever. The "Transition" models will have an Old Army barrel legend but a New Model short spur hammer, or New Model non-channeled loading lever, or a new model threaded bead sight, or safety notches on the cylinder shoulder between the nipples, or a combination of all. Almost 100% production of the Model 1861's went to fill U.S. Government orders."

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=442677

Boolit Master

The revolver came to me as shown in the pictures. Other than gently wiping the gun down with a dry cotton cloth I have no intention of cleaning it.

Boolit Man

An "A" near the hammer.

I would strongly suggest to have the firearms numbers verified by Remington. I would include all of the pictures. I know my father called them to verify the Old Remington Shotgun that he had and Remington was very helpful. I would not sell the firearm until you do the complete research to get the most value for the firearm.

Remington Arms
    +1 800-243-9700

Boolit Man

An "A" near the hammer.

Don Ware researched the military records in the Smithsonian and that data is available in his book. If you post on the www.RemingtonSociety.org forum with details it's possible someone will help who has the book. I have it but it's just buried to deep.

Boolit Man
    Don Ware researched the military records in the Smithsonian and that data is available in his book. If you post on the www.RemingtonSociety.org forum with details it's possible someone will help who has the book. I have it but it's just buried to deep.

I saw a revolver that is similar go for almost $2,000.00 years ago. They would require someone to appraise it with a signed certificate from an authority on them.

Boolit Master
    Sometimes this helps, sometimes it doesn't:
    http://proofhouse.com/cm/us_inspector.htm

I usually check a screw (or nipple) thread to see if it's metric (repro) or standard.
    As far as cleaning - I strip the antique guns that I get and clean the insides, but I don't touch the outside. Some - many - people say just leave it alone, even the innards, but I shoot mine, and I want them to last without internal rust and rot. If it's going to be sold, I would not take it apart.
    As far as value - I paid just under $1000 a few years ago and it came with two repro cylinders for shooting and a bag of old nipples.
    I called Remington the other day asking about a serial number (pre-1921). They're pretty helpful.

Here's the barrel address on mine.
    Last edited by Battis; 07-19-2017 at 09:42 AM.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    Sometimes this helps, sometimes it doesn't:
    http://proofhouse.com/cm/us_inspector.htm

I usually check a screw (or nipple) thread to see if it's metric (repro) or standard.
    As far as cleaning - I strip the antique guns that I get and clean the insides, but I don't touch the outside. Some - many - people say just leave it alone, even the innards, but I shoot mine, and I want them to last without internal rust and rot.
    As far as value - I paid just under $1000 a few years ago and it came with two repro cylinders for shooting and a bag of old nipples.
    I called Remington the other day asking about a serial number (pre-1921). They're pretty helpful.

Here's the barrel address on mine.
    I am thinking that under the grip prices their should be marks if it was put in service. I think he might have the old Remington Army .44 caliper pistol or first run after the fire. I gave him the best person in the field to identify the gin in his book. I also gave him Remington's Customer Service number that Identified a shotgun for my father.

Boolit Master
    Thank you all. I joined the RSA forum and will post about this gun as soon as my account is approved/verified.

Boolit Master
    Screw slots already walked. That beauty would get soaked, diss'd, very lovingly wiped on the outside,cleaned on the inside, inspected and taken somewhere to make smoke come out the front and have a big smile on my face the whole time I was doing it! Rinse, Repeat!

Does it have progressive rifling? Seven lands and grooves? What does it weigh?
    "He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God." - John 3:18

Boolit Master

Original Remington New Army?

http://www.remingtonsociety.org/foru...hp?f=2&t=25511

As advised, I posted about this particular revolver over on the Remington Society Forum. No comments yet.
    Last edited by 2ndAmendmentNut; 07-20-2017 at 11:35 AM.

In Remembrance
    The markings all appear to be the real deal!
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Beautiful revolver and it looks like the real thing. I do wish people could learn the difference between a cylinder and the chambers in the cylinder.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Buddy
    What are those initials on the left grip?