Snyders JerkyWidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
RepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad DataReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A couple of more Russian slugs

Boolit Grand Master

Quite a bit lighter than the old style Paradox slugs, but easier to find load data for too and it looks like a nice slug. Can that one be cast as solid too? I guess just a flat nose pin could be made if not available from the manufacturer.

Boolit Master
    I'd still like a mold for this slug , only problem is if I were to get one I'd not be satisfied until I had a 12 bore double that was paradox or fully rifled . And that just plain sounds expensive , I suspect a decent shape one from a decent British maker that was pre war will most likely set you back 6-12 G's ��
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Grand Master

Much as I would like a Paradox gun I will never own one.

If I can ever find a slug that will give respectable 100 yard accuracy from smoothbore... that is consistent dependable 100 yard accuracy of 6" or less, the next thing is to try to get that to shoot out of a side by.

The way things are going I may have to settle for round balls to 50 yards from smoothbore.

Mind you, if I ever finish my deep groove, slow twist rifled choke tube and it works then it may be possible to get a side by with screw in choke tubes, buy blank/unfinished choke tubes and rifle them.

Then I coul dget a Paradox slug mould too!

I've thought about buying a Paradox mould from CBE then drilling slugs for attached wads. I haven't seen it tried but it should be similar to Brenneke or the Russian slugs BT tested with attached wads.

This little mini Paradox slug would be like an express bullet in a Paradox gun at about 200 grs. lighter.

Longbow

Hello Longbow, i saw that second russian site has gualandi style mold with available wads to go into it. If it behaved like the real gualandi, you could easily get the accuracy you desire at 100 yards. Unfortunately they do not ship to Italy! They have a site that sells both wads and molds and is www.reload.su Maybe the ship to Canada!

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks Tony. I'll take a look at that.

I do have this quirk though (one of many I'm told) that I don't like to have to be dependent on something I may not be able to get at some point. Once a guy has a mould he can cast as long as there's lead and fire but if everything depends on a supplier of a component that may stop production or whatever then a substitute has to be found.

Nonetheless, I'll look and if it seems like a good slug then I just may give it a go and order several thousand wads.

I am also beginning to think that part of my problem with longer range accuracy is due to an oversight. I have maintained that rifled slugs don't spin and certainly bore friction on the rifling does not impart a spin but Taofledermaus shows a youtube video that demonstrates that rifled slugs do in fact pick up a slow spin from air drag. Not enough to produce gyroscopic stability but enough to average out deviations in flight due to inconsistencies.

My slugs don't spin as there is no helical ribbing. My Brenneke clones use straight ribs so no spin.

I am getting back in gear to complete my deep groove slow twist rifled choke tube to suit round balls and "square" bore diameter slugs (as long as they are in diameter). In fact my Nessler Ball mould would be perfect for that. I got going on the rifled choke tube then got derailed and didn't get back to it. I need a steady rest for my lathe and not only are they expensive if you can find one but they are difficult to find. I can make one easy enough but have to get off my butt and go.

I started that idea with the Paradox gun in mind... last 3" of muzzle deeply rifled which allows smoothbore use as well as "rifle" use.

Anyway, I digress again. I will be testing some slugs possibly next weekend. I have a lot made but am beginning to think results will be similar to past results as I think I have reached the limit of my basement technology.

The Gualandi clone could be a step up if the mould and wads are available so I will check on that. It would certainly be easier to make my poor man's double rifle using smoothbore side by than trying to fit two custom rifled choke tubes into a side by.

Sorry, long post.

Thanks,
    Longbow

Boolit Grand Master

Okay, just took a look.

I don't see anywhere where they talk about where they will ship but a local guy I know just ordered a Lyman Sabot slug clone from them so I guess they ship to Canada... except his mould is taking a long time to arrive.

I like the Tusker Paradox with tail. I like the original Tusker design better and had some to test that Greg Sappington sent me. They flew nose forward at least to 75 yards but accuracy was not great from my smoothbore but in fairness, they were designed for rifled gun and were sized about 0.003" small for my bore. I thought about adding wads and Brenneke'izing them.

In any case, those look like a nice slug and I think thicker skirt than the Gualandi clones. I tried some Gualandi DGS slugs and while they shot fairly well, the skirts dis distort considerably. I like thick tough skirts. Now, not sure what the Russian Tusker Paradox slug has for skirt thickness.

If I had a rifled gun, I like the original Dixie Tusker. A beautiful slug in my opinion.

I will follow up on the Russian slugs though.

Thanks again.

Longbow

Boolit Bub
    I just picked up a Lyman 20ga sabot slug mold. Did you have any luck with the accuracy out of a rifled barrel? I have a Savage 220 I was hoping to get something decent for whitetail at 100 with it.

Quote Originally Posted by jr86 View Post
    I just picked up a Lyman 20ga sabot slug mold. Did you have any luck with the accuracy out of a rifled barrel? I have a Savage 220 I was hoping to get something decent for whitetail at 100 with it.
    My first Range outing where pretty good. 3” at 50. I need to tinker with it more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm looking on ebay but not seeing the HP version the OP posted....I just discovered these molds about a week ago and trying to figure out if I need to try any of them. Currently using a LEE 1oz drive key but have the lyman sabots as well.
    My firearms project blog

Boolit Grand Master
    the hollow point looks just like the one Tom and I designed
    minus the hp of course
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post

...I am also beginning to think that part of my problem with longer range accuracy is due to an oversight. I have maintained that rifled slugs don't spin and certainly bore friction on the rifling does not impart a spin but Taofledermaus shows a youtube video that demonstrates that rifled slugs do in fact pick up a slow spin from air drag. Not enough to produce gyroscopic stability but enough to average out deviations in flight due to inconsistencies.
    Longbow,

You are indeed on track with the underlined above. Yet the evidence seems to point to barrel friction as the culprit.

That Foster type rifled slugs do indeed spin due to barrel friction on the helical ribs was the conclusion of a Winchester study conducted in the middle 1960s. The most interesting thing was the variation in spin rate found between cylinder barrels and choke bore barrels. More details can be found in this discussion, including references:

http://wethearmed.com/shotguns/do-ri...thbore-part-2/

If you could only have one of these slug designs which one would it be?
    My firearms project blog

The design of that slug is nearly identical to the 8 bore slugs for the Evans Paradox I talked about seeing in 1962 G&A Mag. The nose was slightly radiused instead of being a strait angle. 1250 gr in 8 Bore.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    My Lyman 12 gauge "pellet mold" casts and drops beautifully,even harder alloys.

But I just ordered the Svarog 20 gauge pellet version... we'll see.

USMC 77, USRA 79

Wow... significant price difference... you say they are virtually the same mold???

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	452F3714-3FA4-47D0-894A-2889894F307C.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	239907
    Last edited by Markopolo; 04-15-2019 at 06:39 PM.
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Grand Master

Yeah, if you are going to buy one of those the prices do seem to vary quite a lot!

Boolit Master
    I see a whole line of other slugs too.

USMC 77, USRA 79

I would suggest that we wait a bit before we all send money for molds... make sure it is Legit.. they do not do business as we do... I will buy one of there molds... and review... takes a month to get here... I am talking to the company as I write this... I will purchase their Hydrant mold.. this one..
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A925FEE1-638F-4A5C-8A7A-FC777BB6830C.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	43.4 KB 
ID:	239942

Caution.
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master
    Interesting.

Looks like half the price compared to Svarog on Ebay. Hmm...

Boolit Master
    if you would like a US source try The Reloaders Network store they have moulds and wads for these exotic slugs

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast