RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
WidenersTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: Bar soap for guns

Bar soap for guns

My wife was making a batch of soap yesterday and I pitched the idea of making some that smells like hoppe's 9, I know I would use it and figured that other gun folks might be interested as well. Then it hit me that using the regular soap process and gun oil in place of the normal fats and oils, one could possibly make bar soap for guns. Im not an expert on the saponification process but I think it could work. I will try to talk the Mrs in to trying it. Do you guys think it could be done? I know it most likely wouldn't be a practical thing to do, but I can't often stop my self when an off the wall idea comes in to my head.

Boolit Grand Master

I remember, I think back in the Shooters.com days, one of the guys on the Black Powder Cartridge section when talking about lube commented that we were basically making soap in the barrel with the combination of the lube contents and the heat and pressure taking place!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

If it don't go in a spray can won't sell well. Must go in a pump spray as a minimum

All depends on the specifics. Each oil has its own characteristics once turned into soap.

Coconut oil is a great cleaner, lathers wonderfully. But if more than 1/3 the recipe can be very drying.

Olive oil makes a very thin hard bar with little lather but is a great conditioner for skin, very nourishing and healthy.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Ahhh . . . a splash of Hoppes #9 on the cheeks after shaving . . . makes the women go wild! Well ... maybe not so much . . . .

Boolit Master
    Petrolum based oils do not soponify. But I use hand made soap to clean my muzzle loaders.

Boolit Grand Master

We put some Hoppes 9 in our last batch of candles. If you use too much they wont harden correctly.

The soap you make using hoppes 9 might end up as liquid soap which isnt bad
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I would check the MSDS to make sure there is nothing harmful to put on your skin long term.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Paul Mathews Black Powder Lube has Neutragena Facial Soap in it.Alternately Soap Oil can be used.

Ask Hoppes what the current odor chemical is. They took the Benzene out a long time ago.

I should have added that there are several bullet lubes that use soap to stiffen oils for lubricating the bullet on its path.

Read the long Lube thread and you'll learn a few things.

Boolit Master
    They make a Hoppes Cologne I saw this a while ago http://www.saveonscents.com/product_...ucts_id/203434

Quote Originally Posted by NyFirefighter357 View Post
    They make a Hoppes Cologne I saw this a while ago http://www.saveonscents.com/product_...ucts_id/203434
    I think I'll have to get some of that for hand soap.
    The wife gave me the go ahead to play with her soap equipment so Friday I will be making a bar of gun soap. I will try 3 or 4 different mixes and test them on a bar of scrap steel to check for corrosion. I'll document and post the process.