WidenersInline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 820 lb hog with .38 spl

Boolit Grand Master

Must have been cast bullets in that 38;_) He does look pretty clean but I can see his oysters sucked in from hanging nose first, 800 lbs doesn't seem too far off looking at his front hooves. I grew up on a hog farm and have put a 600 pounder to sleep forever with a single blow from a 24 oz framing hammer, DRT, so yes I'm sure a 38 will kill one if you know where to put the bullet.

"The next day, the sharpshooter took the hog to a nearby peanut company to use its scales to weigh the wild beast"
    Last edited by swheeler; 07-20-2017 at 01:11 PM.
    Charter Member #148

Banned

yup looks a little fishy to me too. Its either like you said a pig someone fattened or a domestic pig that got loose and went wild. If its truly wild and that big your probably going to have to throw most of the meat away. We shot a 400 lb bore once and the meat smelled like pee and there wasn't any way to cook it that it didn't stink.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogtamer View Post
    Yep, that's a big hog. But he just didn't wander out of the swamp into this guy's yard. First, looks like he just stepped out of the shower, so nice and clean. Second, look close and you won't see any whetters, the top canine teeth that grow at an angle to the bottom canines, the cutters. Third, he's been eating like a king. And finally a boar that big would have nuts the size of your head which you could see even from a side view. But yea, that's a big hog. Most likely that boy was castrated and had his whetters cut when he was a a youngun by a guy running a "trophy" hunt operation. No sex drive so just eat. No cuts from fighting. Cutters grow long because no whetters to sharpen them and keep 'em modest size, as those tushes are why folks pay big money to shoot 'em. His hair oughtta be longer, matted with mud, teeth popping when that little dog barked at him and run like hell when that fellow popped him with that .38. You could smell him through the picture from the piss and excretions that wind up on his belly to let the gals and rivals know he's in the neighborhood to breed or butt heads. Prolly would eat pretty good, like a big old polled steer. But yep, that's a big hog...

Boolit Master
    The article says what he did with the meat:
    Seago told the Associated Press on Wednesday that he plans to display the hog's stuffed head and shoulders at his taxidermy shop. He said the rest of the remains were discarded on a friend's property.

"It's so humid down here, it had to hang all night. I wouldn't trust the meat," he said.

Boolit Master
    I've dispatched a domestic hog with a 358430 from a Taurus M85 .38 snubby. Frontal head shot, out the neck and disappeared into the ground. The hog wasn't anywhere near as big as this one, though.

Boolit Grand Master

Ya can't choose a different cal if a .38 spec is what ya have. As with all of them shot placement is king. A miss with a 458 is still just a bigger bang with no effect.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master
    A neighbor did say that one of their big boar hogs got away after rooting under a fence. She isn't mad that the guy shot the hog, saying that he had every right to do so.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12