Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWidenersLoad Data
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 820 lb hog with .38 spl

Banned

820 lb hog with .38 spl

I didn't know which forum would be appropriate so I posted this here.

Imagine going out to your front yard and finding this:

http://www.al.com/outdoors/index.ssf..._wild_hog.html

Subscribing to hear how many say it wasn't possible.

Boolit Master

I'd rather have something with a bit more thump, but a 38 sure beats a stick, and seems to have done the job!
    "When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat." - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    I know a guy who works at a nearby family gun store that does hog hunts and was told he could not kill a hog with a 357 sig, well he did it, it took 5 shots though, too many for my taste.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    Light him up!!!

That's a whole lot of pig. 38 special wouldn't be my first choice to take a hog, but its nice to know it can do the job.

Banned

Alaskan eskimos killed polar bears with 22lrs too. Sure doesn't make it the right tool for the job.

I wonder how many rounds he had to put into that porker? Of course it would only take one in the right spot. Kudos to this guy for protecting his pup and his steady hand.

I knew a guy who took on a big hog with a long surplus Mosin with bayonet fixed. He got the blade in the hog and he had a real fight on on his hand. He didn't have a round in the chamber and couldn't let go of the rifle to work the bolt. He won, but allowed that it was a stupid thing to do.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master

Yep, that's a big hog. But he just didn't wander out of the swamp into this guy's yard. First, looks like he just stepped out of the shower, so nice and clean. Second, look close and you won't see any whetters, the top canine teeth that grow at an angle to the bottom canines, the cutters. Third, he's been eating like a king. And finally a boar that big would have nuts the size of your head which you could see even from a side view. But yea, that's a big hog. Most likely that boy was castrated and had his whetters cut when he was a a youngun by a guy running a "trophy" hunt operation. No sex drive so just eat. No cuts from fighting. Cutters grow long because no whetters to sharpen them and keep 'em modest size, as those tushes are why folks pay big money to shoot 'em. His hair oughtta be longer, matted with mud, teeth popping when that little dog barked at him and run like hell when that fellow popped him with that .38. You could smell him through the picture from the piss and excretions that wind up on his belly to let the gals and rivals know he's in the neighborhood to breed or butt heads. Prolly would eat pretty good, like a big old polled steer. But yep, that's a big hog...
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    I wonder how many rounds he had to put into that porker? Of course it would only take one in the right spot. Kudos to this guy for protecting his pup and his steady hand.

I knew a guy who took on a big hog with a long surplus Mosin with bayonet fixed. He got the blade in the hog and he had a real fight on on his hand. He didn't have a round in the chamber and couldn't let go of the rifle to work the bolt. He won, but allowed that it was a stupid thing to do.
    3 rounds from the article. If it was my small dog with a pig that large at bay, I'd grab whatever was close as well. Not the best tool for the job but proves it is still a valuable cartridge in my eyes!
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

ADMIN

My old coworker kills hogs with a 17HMR pistol.
    He head shots them at the base of his tree stand.

Well, I should say so he says.. LOL

Boolit Grand Master

It would be interesting to see the fat layer when this animal is skinned out. Wild animals have little fat and more muscle than domestic raised animals. ( one of the reasons Hogs are immune to snake bites poison dosnt get thru the fat layer into muscle and blood stream). At 820 lbs its an impressive animal either way. His presence should have been suspected in the area from crop and land damage as this size animal eats a lot and forages roots a lot for it. The farmers corn and beans would really suffer from this animal in the wild.

Banned

I know of one fellow, most of you all know him as well. Has killed two hogs, single shots through the body, with a .380 ACP. Not monsters , but man size. 100 grain RFP. The magic meplat works.

Boolit Master

https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=447_1500467121

He seems quite proud of it too.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    I know of one fellow, most of you all know him as well. Has killed two hogs, single shots through the body, with a .380 ACP. Not monsters , but man size. 100 grain RFP. The magic meplat works.
    I killed a much smaller hog... about 130# +/- with a .380 too. After 6 shots through the body and one behind the ear (finally) of Hornady's Critical Defense load. The hog was dead, just unaware of its own condition. Something to do with my daughter's pit bull practicing exsanguination. You use what you have at hand...

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    That's one big "hunk o' ham"!

When I hunted on a family run ranch in Florida some years ago the owners son told me that they would trap small pigs, castrate them and turn them loose. Whenever they wanted pork for a barbecue they would shoot one of the bar hogs.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    I would not think twice. with my 358429 loads in a 6" security-six.

Moderator Emeritus

That was neat for it to walk right into his yard and offer himself up, but .... I bet he had to use some heavy machinery to move that thing! I have enough trouble loading up a 160 lb. buck in the back of my truck!

Boolit Grand Master

Pretty sure that pig is not 800lbs+
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast