RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad DataRepackbox
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My new 686 is already in the shop

Boolit Master

My new 686 is already in the shop

I bought a new S&W 686+ about a month ago. I took it out as soon as I got it and fired 100 rounds through it (the blister on my hand is almost gone ). What I first thought were some misfires was the cylinder failing to turn consistently. Also the trigger would stick backwards at times.

It's been at S&W for over two weeks, and they said it won't be mailed back for another week or more although the repairs were just completed.

They said they repaired the yoke and replaced the hand. It sounds like repairs that would be made to an old used gun... perhaps mine was put together on a Monday. I waited a long time to get this gun and went from being hyped up to sort of discouraged.

Done whining...

Randy
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Apparently you don't get the service that's afforded to Jerry Michulek. What a ripoff, he gets them for free and you have to pay for yours. Sorry, I'm being sarcastic and I sympathize with you 100%. They should send you a brand new one right from the custom shop, all tricked out and a coupon for a free box of ammo and apologize profusely.
    You boys gonna draw them pistols or whistle Dixie

NRA ENDOWMENT MEMBER

"The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent fishing."
    ------Babylonian Proverb

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    Sometimes even the best companies have a bobble. Unfortunately for you, you were the recipient of one of them. At least, hopefully, they are making it right.

One of Murphy's immutable laws states that the gun you have dreamed about, work long and saved hard for and finally bought, will be the one to cause grief.

One of two things is going to happen, more than likely, you will have a bad taste regarding this gun, will never be happy with it and in a short time send it down the road, or you will figure the problems were taken care of early on and now you can enjoy. I had this situation with a 3200 REM. Ended up enjoying that gun for many, many years, right up to the day I sold it to help finance another "toy".

How and where did you get a blister from shooting a 686? I have shot as much as 250 rounds in an afternoon and never developed any blisters, even with my 629 which has a bit more recoil than the 686.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Grand Master

Sorry to hear about that. I love my 586 and regret getting rid of my 686 no dash long barrel.

I say get it fixed and enjoy the heck out of it.

I don't think this is off topic. At least that is not my intent, as this post does deal with the quality, or lack thereof, brought up by the OP. If this post is considered off topic, I ask the moderator to delete or move it. Thanks...

I am sorry to hear about your problems with your 686. We all deal with this problem in all aspects of our lives these days. I recently went to great lengths recently to purchase a clutch kit, water pump, and idler and tensioner pulleys that are NOT made in China, whose products in these parts have high failure rates. Anyway, back to the issue at hand, the problem of quality is caused by companies comparing their costs of producing poor quality to their costs of producing good quality (both internal to the company, and external to the consumer (us!)). Many companies use a six sigma statistical model to determine where they want their company's products to fall regarding quality. To a certain point, they can produce a certain amount of bad quality items external to the company (bought by the consumer) and make a reasonable profit, at the expense and dissatisfaction of the consumer; "maximum acceptable level of dissatisfaction" of a product is truly a modern production goal to some companies, not just a philosophy. On the other hand, a good company will use this same statistical model to see how much they can benefit financially from good quality, both internal and external to the company.

It does not matter the widget made, all companies these days are defaulting to more external poor quality to save money. Internal poor quality can be made up by reworking/fixing the widget on inspection, which takes away from profit, but is a cost of good quality in the long run. However, this is where we come in: the external poor quality is taken care of by the consumer sending the bad widget back (in this case your poorly made 686) for repair or replacement. This eventuality is built into the business/production model, and it is expected by the production companies (in this case S&W). The consumer dissatisfaction derived from this production model is even taken into account in the cost analysis.

I started researching this junk some time ago because I have become so dissatisfied with modern production quality, or more aptly put, lack of quality. The cost of making something perfect is great, but so is the cost of making something terrible (e.g., the company goes broke due to low/no sales). So, the modern production models find the perfect place for a company to be based on their expected profits from their inputs, using quality as a means, not the goal. Very sad... The stuff we buy and send back is meant to happen a number of times, from the start of the manufacturing process. The only question is how many have to go back, which now separates the good companies from the bad.

I'm still trying to figure all of this stuff out. YMMV on this topic, but please do not be deceived. There are reasons we should be glad companies have ISO compliant certifications, which give some confidence in quality.

Your "poor quality" 686? It was meant to be. S&W? Still a good company I am sure, but not oblivious to the concepts detailed in this post.

Banned

Seems like many have concluded the six hole 686 is the way to go.

Boolit Master
    Sorry to hear about your 686 problems. I've owned three of them (well, one's actually a 586) and they've all been outstanding quality. The accuracy is the best of any SW handguns I've ever owned, and I've owned a lot of them. I guess even the good companies make a mistake once in a while. I'm sure you'll get it back in pristine condition. Shoot it and don't dwell on it. It happens to the best of things once in a while. Let us know how it turns out.

Boolit Master
    My 586 is a shooting machine. 1980 vintage.
    Leadmelter
    MI

Boolit Buddy
    jmort,

I don't know what experiences other people have had with the seven shot 686s but I bought one several years ago it has been problem free. I bought a six shot 686 last year to use in NRA action pistol matches and, other than the number of holes in the cylinders, there is no difference between the two guns.

Gus Youmans

Banned

Upon further review I would have to say I was incorrect as to any significant advantage or disadvantage between the 6 and 7 hole.

Boolit Master

Well hopefully they make it as smooth as butter upon its return. Enjoy.

Banned
    The part about the hand blister makes me shake my head. What the heck are you loading? I've run maximum loads thru my 686 without any problems. I've sat down with it and fired 100-150 rounds of maximum loads without any blisters or any problems with the gun. Are you perhaps over loading?

Boolit Master

e ...
    Last edited by Three-Fifty-Seven; 04-28-2020 at 12:27 PM.
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

After hearing about so many similar stories, I am reluctant to buying any new revolver.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for all of the replies.

My 357 load was 14.5gr of 2400 behind 158gr Lee SWC boolits.

Regarding my blister ... I started out my session with my Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 mag loaded with 21.5 gr W296 behind 310gr Lee boolits. After a couple of cylinders of those I remembered I had my Pact shooting gloves in my bag and finished up with the 44 and moved on to the 357. Perhaps I started the blister with the 44, or the gloves actually moved enough at the base of my thumb to cause the blister.

I'm not complaining about the blister - it would take a fortune's worth of .22 ammo to do the same thing , it was fun getting it, and I'm ready for another one.
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Boolit Master

When a company makes so many of any mechanical device, they make a bad one in the bunch every once in a while.
    I am sorry to her that you are the one of the people that got a bad one.
    I hope that S&W gets it worked out first try.

I am that way with my Charter Arms Bull Dog.
    After sending it back more than once I threw . . .THREW it in the back of the safe out of my sight!
    Can't even sell it to anyone!
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master

My brother had similar experiences with a 686 with a 4" barrel. The hand that rotated the cylinder was too long. He sent it back to S&W.

Boolit Master
    Many firearm customers don't know the difference between a poor and satisfactory specimen. We here do. During many decades of buying guns, I've had my share of lemons too.

I have a 686 No Dash that started life out with the US Border Services. The gun was supposed to have a 102MM (4") barrel but lucky for me it has a 105.14MM barrel which is just legal here in Canada. Beautiful built gun. I am afraid what Smith revolvers were and are now live in two different worlds. I actually prefer my Ruger GP-100 over the Smith for IDPA but both are great guns.

Sorry to hear about the OP's gun and the build quality. Fortunately there are lots of good quality older Smith revolvers floating around still that represent very good buys.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tranders View Post
    After hearing about so many similar stories, I am reluctant to buying any new revolver.
    Amen..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast