RepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLee Precision
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Vz24 35 Whelen

Boolit Master

To each his own, but that case damage is the reason I sold for a song the only Lee FCD that I ever owned. I do not like brass that has been damaged in factory ammo or a FCD. Or for that matter brass damaged by the slam bang action of some semi auto rifles. I usually can look at a extractor rim on a rifle cartridge and tell if it has been jerked violently out of a gas operated arm. Very often such cases will not fit into a Forster case length/headspace gage because of rim damage. They also give false reading on calipers and also do not seat to the correct depth of the seating die, seating slightly shorter than the established depth setting. Also they will change the cutting length on a case trimmer slightly. Full length sizing does not change this either. my experience anyway, james

Boolit Grand Master

I like the LFC rifle dies to remove the flair from case mouths on cast loads, you don't have to crank em down
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master

Good story!!

Brings back many fine memories! I built my first Mauser in 35 Whelen on a 1909 Argentine action back in 1988. The same Year Remington choose to chamber the Classic’s in 35 Whelen & I could have saved many hundreds of dollars just buying one..

But I enjoyed the project and have built two more after that.

I have been wanting to build one in 358 Norma Magnum. I sold a few items and this was enough to net me the funds to build it. Last month speaking with a friend about the project. He tells me he knows someone selling one!! Last week we struck a deal and I sent him some funds and he is sending the rifle to my dealer. Im excited. I saved some $$ but dont have to wait on the build. The rifle seems to be a shooter too.

Yours looks great i hope its a great shooter for ta!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Quote Originally Posted by swheeler View Post
    I hope you have made meat with your Whelen by now! That is one fine rifle you have there and should be handed down someday.

I have not dropped anything with this rifle except paper holes as of yet I’ve been wearing my ruger African .308 out for most hunting around here. The .:5 is to big for most of the animals around these parts.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by kfd518 View Post
    Attachment 206404Attachment 206405Attachment 206406
    Alright I ran into some
    Issues taking this rifle to the range yesterday.

Hornady 200 gr factory ammo rates at 2910 for was run 3040,3039,3081 fps. Primers flattened.
    49 grs of reloader 15 with Speer 250 hot cor, WLR primer was 2360 primers pushed and flat.
    When inspecting cases after getting back home and taking measurements I noticed a ring around the casemouth on all fired cartridges reformed from to 270 and the hornady factory 35 whelen. This ring mic'd at .3870 the neck below this ring is .3885-3890. I can feel said ring with thumb. Is this a tight spot from reaming the chamber?this is the First time rifle has been fired.
    What might have caused this ring while reaming the chamber?
    Sorry working off my phone and can't get the pictures below instead of above.
    I also have a nice tight chamber and a long barrel 27.5”. I routinely best 2900 fps with a 200g and 2500 with a 250g. My buddies Factory Remington Whelen pump wont hit 2200 with a 250 and barely makes 2800 with a 200g. But he also only has a 22” Bbl.

Have you tried the Nosler Accubonds? OM GOODNESS, mine likes them with a full load of RL 15! 225 NBT is what I sued to work up close and then switched to the $$ Accubonds.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I finally took a photo of the sights installed. I’m going to change the front blade out to a Patridge I believe.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 84788C9F-F44F-448E-8B68-9D970213B0FB.jpg  

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123