Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingLoad DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox

Thread: Looking for a chamber reamer

South of the Equator and North of Capricorn

Looking for a chamber reamer

Im working on a martini cadet action ,I have a 25-35 barrel to fit the action ,all goes together very well ,problem is chambering a cartridge , the case wont go full depth into the chamber ,at first I thought it was the depth of the seat for the rim ,I set the barrel up in the lathe and dialed the chamber in .Took a lick from the rim recess so when the rim is placed into the recess backwards it's slightly below the face of the chamber .
    Fitted the barrel back into the action and the action is hard to close ,so Im figuring the chamber needs slightly deepening , may be 1or2 thousands would do it ,I would do it by hand as there is not much to come out .
    Any one have such a reamer they want to sell . Im in Australia ,no problem posting reamers to Oz .

got it sorted .

Bob,

Glad to hear you have it sorted out. I was going to tell you if you only need a few thousands to make the gun close the least expensive way is to remove a few thousands off the top surface of your shell holder.
    This allows the sizing die to push the shoulder back a few thousands and you haven't hurt anything. If you load other calibers with the same shell holder you just set up your sizing die to where it doesn't fully stop on the shell holder.
    Sounds like you may of had some other type of problem though. Good luck with your cadet rifle !

Jedman

Quote Originally Posted by Jedman View Post
    Bob,

Glad to hear you have it sorted out. I was going to tell you if you only need a few thousands to make the gun close the least expensive way is to remove a few thousands off the top surface of your shell holder.
    This allows the sizing die to push the shoulder back a few thousands and you haven't hurt anything. If you load other calibers with the same shell holder you just set up your sizing die to where it doesn't fully stop on the shell holder.
    Sounds like you may of had some other type of problem though. Good luck with your cadet rifle !

Jedman
    I thought about that ,they are brand new ch4d dies ,I assume they would be harder than a womans heart and difficult to machine .I ended up lapping the chamber and it took only a few minutes to get it right. But yes your suggestion would work.
    Even taking some material from the top face of the shell holder would be an option.
    The cartridge now chambers and extracts nicely ,cant wait to get it shooting .

I've slipped a narrow piece of feeler gauge stock under a case to decrease the case's headspace in past.
    Useful when forming brass sometimes also.