Load DataRepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: How many of you out there own automated or semi-automated casting machines?

Boolit Master
    I did know Hatch was your brother, hense the idea to hit him up for some timers, yet it seems you have some sources of them too
    Do you think you could get a hydraulic cylinder to cycle fast enough to operate as a tapper? As it is already hydraulic, i understand why you really don't want to add another energy source to it. I was most impressed with your setup when i was starting my MC automation build, i like the fact you used bits and pieces you had laying around. Mine was a very cheap build, i had quite a few parts, and what i didn't, i got off a friend of my dads that has loads of surplus parts that he just gave to me.

Cast Boolits Owner

I have been searching for electric tappers without luck. Since I already have 120V available at the main control panel the addition of an compact air compressor such as this inexpensive --> 3 gallon unit <-- to power the air tappers would work as long as they do not require more than .5 CFM. For the initial set-up I will plug into my shop compressor until I figure out the air flow requirements.
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Magma Mk8 that i use about 3 -4 times a year. Honestly, I need to sell it but casting 10k bullets in one session is pretty nice.

Boolit Master
    I did try 12v tappers, but they just didn't work for me, not enough power, 120v may have a bit more to them, but again, hard to find something for this purpose. I'd think .5cfm is more than enough for small tapping cylinders, they don't need to move far, and only need to strike a few times per cycle of your machine.

I'd love to be able to sit back and cast 10k in a short sitting too, maybe one day if i get my project finished, or win the lotto and buy a mark x

Cast Boolits Owner

I’d love to get 10k from a short sitting also however, with the occasional stuck Boolit slowing things down I am limited to anywhere from 400 - 700 per hour depending on conditions such as Boolit weight and outside temperature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Cast Boolits Owner

Update: I ordered a couple cheap cylinders as well as an air valve from e-bay then fabricated some air adapters and a couple of brackets. I already had the timer and old semi-truck air lines/fittings. This ---> this video <--- is proof of concept. I ran the tappers at 3 different speeds during the video which is why you see the varied tapper speed. The assembly appears to work pretty well considering.

At this point I need to refine everything by purchasing a new limit switch to replace the $5 tapper start switch, mount the timer, mount the air valve, and mount the air pressure regulator. I also need a small compressor such as ---> this one <--- which happens to be on sale at harbor freight for $39 to power the thing.
    - Albert Camus -

Banned
    That looks like a cool setup. I don't own an automated press and I'm not claiming to be any kind of expert, I would be concerned that tapping on the mole & sprue plate could cause damage/failure to the connecting bolts or sprue plate.

Cast Boolits Owner

The setup in the video is patterned after the multi-mould production machines which share moulds with this machine. I have no worries with the ability of this machine to withstand the tapping from this setup.
    - Albert Camus -

Boolit Master
    I have mine tapping the mould from the bottom, it hits the bottom allen screws on the mold halves.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilmonty View Post
    I Have a Dillon RL1050 for Each caliber I reload!!!

And then I wake up.
    LOL Chilmonty!
    SpadeAce
    Adam Dasuqi
    AZ Cowboy Action shooter

If it's worth anything; I'll pick it up from the range lol

Boolit Mold
    Just wanted to pipe in on your comment about the Harbor Freight compressor. I have one, it works but it runs almost constantly when in use and is VERY LOUD. You might not be too happy with the noise level. Good Luck

Boolit Buddy
    I have an old ballisticast mark 2 I believe. Bought a pile of parts and put one together out of that. Its quite old. I set it up to run 1 to 4 molds. Usually use 2. Its temperamental and frustrating at times but when u see the pile of eggs under it it makes it worthwhile. Sure brings the ingot pile down.

Ballisti-cast Mark-II autocaster (6 mold setup) NV-Ballistics Speedcaster 42, and soon a brand new Magma Mark-8 bullet master.
    Were you debating on an automated machine?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mark2.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	46.6 KB 
ID:	215483

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nh7792 View Post
    Ballisti-cast Mark-II autocaster (6 mold setup) NV-Ballistics Speedcaster 42, and soon a brand new Magma Mark-8 bullet master.
    Were you debating on an automated machine?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mark2.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	46.6 KB 
ID:	215483
    Looks identical to mine.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Buddy
    Hey Aus.. my MK II looks similar but has 4 mould set-up,,i can set it to run any number of moulds I want to use..1-2-3-or all 4 . Most of the time if I just want 50-100 of a certain size I block off the flow between preheat and pour set the pour side at 500-550 and the preheat side at 685-735 deg. and dip w/ ladle especially w/ single cav. mould as Ausglock knows these are strong & versatile machs. whats not to like the best of both . Have mine on rollers push it over till I need it " it don't eat nut'n and don't mess in the floor ".

coffee's ready,,,,Hootmix.

Boolit Mold
    I have a Master Caster with a home made PID temp controller. Currently automating it with the help of all the fine posts on this board and some generous advice from Hatch. It is air-powered and will be controlled by a box of obsolete timing relays I found laying around. I do see a Raspberry Pi or Arduino in my future........!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by izthebye View Post
    I have a Master Caster with a home made PID temp controller. Currently automating it with the help of all the fine posts on this board and some generous advice from Hatch. It is air-powered and will be controlled by a box of obsolete timing relays I found laying around. I do see a Raspberry Pi or Arduino in my future........!
    Awesome, please do share when it's all up and running, i love seeing how people develop their machines. Mine runs an arduino, it does glitch due to not being an industrial computer, but for the price, i'll live with it.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234