Reloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is the extra speed worth it?

Boolit Bub

Is the extra speed worth it?

Im working on a load in a 454 Casull and a 300gr gc boolit. I've used 26gr of W296 in the past it looks like I should be around 1400 fps with it. This weekend I tried 13 gr of unique with the same slug it went across the chronograph at 1210 fps with a SD of 16.5. I don't think a deer or any other game would notice the 200fps. What are your thoughts on dropping the heavy Magnum powder out all together?

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I have loaded max or near max when I had a .454, and the thing didn't shoot any better ( to me, anyway) than heavy .45 Colt ( Ruger only ) loads. I wussed out and sold that pistol.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master

The only advantage of the higher velocity, for me, is flatter trajectory. If the distance at which you shoot is such that the trajectory doesn't matter, then I don't think that 200fps is going to cause any problems.
    As has been stated before, the deer will not catch it and throw it back !

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bookworm View Post
    As has been stated before, the deer will not catch it and throw it back !
    or out run it, no need to beat up a good pistol.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Agree with all the above. The determining factor should be..... does it group better with the heavier load? If not, the deer won't notice any difference in 200fps.

As long as it meets any energy requirements from the state, go for it.
    Whatever!

Banned

if the bullet weight were a little higher you'd be duplicating a 45-70.
    with the unique load.

Boolit Master
    Depends on distance to impact. Trajectory is one aspect to consider and also is velocity upon impact regards to meplat width or hollow point and alloy hardness. Of course accuracy is of high importance too.

I don't have and have never shot a 454 Casull but I did cast up the Lee 300gr (they finished 307gr with a Hornady GC and PC'd) and loaded some of them over 22gr of 4227 in 45 Colt. They ran over the chrono at just over 1200 fps and for me that's bit more then I really want to shoot in the BlackHawk.
    FWIW... I can't imagine, at revolver distances, that the 200 fps would make a lick of difference to anything but a charging cement mixer. I agree with the folks above - shoot the most accurate load you can find.
    "Truth is treason in the empire of lies" Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by RobS View Post
    Depends on distance to impact. Trajectory is one aspect to consider and also is velocity upon impact regards to meplat width or hollow point and alloy hardness. Of course accuracy is of high importance too.
    ^^^^+1^^^^^^

Boolit Master

Needs vary. Some animals really require more killing power. If I were hog hunting with a handgun, especially a big hog, I would want my one specific handgun with one specific load. Revolver is a Bowen built 5-shot .45 Colt built on a Ruger Bisley with all the internal goodies (bolt bearing block, etc.). Boolit is a LBT 340 gr. WLN (wide long nose) with gas check that I cast and lubed by FWFL (my version). Load is 24 grs. of H110 and sparked by a CCI LPMP. Velocity is 1400 fps and when I do my part, it will put all 5 rounds into 4" at 100 yds. with open sights and using the Merit eyepiece on safety glasses so that I can see the rear sight. Have actually done this off sandbags with the light just right, but I can't do it every time. No, I cannot stand on my hind legs and freehand groups like that. In fact, I would be lucky to hit an 8 1/2"X11" sheet of paper at that distance with that revolver or any other handgun while standing with no support of any kind. Would really like to hunt a big pig before I check out but at 77 years of age I guess my opportunities are limited. Really enjoy watching the U-tube videos of the younger guys who do it though. Big Boomer
    Last edited by Big Boomer; 07-22-2017 at 10:20 AM. Reason: addition

Boolit Master

A 250 gr SWC starting out at 900 fps out of a New Vaquero .45 Colt completely penetrates a deer on heart/lung shots @ 50 yards and under, so your load is good to go.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Master
    I try to find the most accurate load not really worried about max speed as long as it does the job .but I'm always curious as to the speed just for refernce to work out energy level to comply with legal requirements.

Holes kill stuff. That bullet will penetrate and cause a deer to spew blood like a hot can of beer. Seems silly to try to squeeze more out if it's not needed.

Wear and tear, added powder usage and more abuse on your end make it a waste of time if a slower load is accurate. Just the opposite actually.
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for all the replies, I know here in Iowa we have a caliber minimum, what states have this power factor and how is it figured up?

Ohio regs for this year state any handgun with at least a 5 inch barrel, using straight wall cartridges, .357 or larger. Sure has loosened up over the last several years. They used to specify the cartridge cases had to be 1 inch or longer. Not any more. There is no power factor.....factor. Pun intended.
    Last edited by buckshotshoey; 07-18-2017 at 08:39 PM.

Banned

agreed and add to it that that 200 fps might not make the difference in whether your eating venison tommarow. ive killed enough deer with 44s and 45s with 250s at a 1000 fps to know it doesn't take 1400 to kill them but that said it does seem to put a bit more slap on them and put them down faster. I agree with the others though. Less will kill and I can compensated for trajectory. to me it would come down to which shot the best at the longest range you might shoot at. To me a better way to look at the 454 is it will shoot a 350 grain bullets at 12-1300 fps. Nessisary for deer? Heck no. But an advantage on truly big stuff like moose, buffalo ect
    Quote Originally Posted by RobS View Post

For deer size game, no benefit running hardcast faster, just more recoil. A 45/300gr LFP @ 1100fps penetrates about as far as a 400gr soft in my 404jeffery. That will go thru a cape buff 1/4 away.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Quote Originally Posted by Old colt View Post
    Im working on a load in a 454 Casull and a 300gr gc boolit. I've used 26gr of W296 in the past it looks like I should be around 1400 fps with it. This weekend I tried 13 gr of unique with the same slug it went across the chronograph at 1210 fps with a SD of 16.5. I don't think a deer or any other game would notice the 200fps. What are your thoughts on dropping the heavy Magnum powder out all together?

Any handgun bullet with a decent meplat, 40 caliber or greater, weights 200 grains or more and traveling 900 feet per second will kill a deer grave yard dead with one shot in the right place.

Now when you start to talk elk, moose or big bear, that is a different conversation.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Moderator Emeritus

For me, the whole reason in having a .454 would be to have the power of it in full loads. But ..... there's no law that says you can't load it down, either! And Char-Gar's right, your load will be aplenty for any whitetail I'm familiar with. Should go all the way through, no matter what angle you shoot from, unless maybe it hits a big bone like a hip or something. It's FAR more where you hit them than what you hit them with. I've known WAY too many to be killed with .22 LR's, and quite effectively so, but the shooters always knew deer anatomy, knew how and where to place their shots, and were pretty good shots. THIS is what matters most. The rest is, at least in substantial part, just stuff to argue over and give you a little "oneupmanship" over your peers.

If you are a good enough shot to hit a deer at 200 yds., and a few can, then I'd go with the hotter load so your trajectory is a bit flatter, but other than that, your "light" load should do out to at least 100 yds. or so, IF you can place your shots well at that distance. It really IS all about where ya' hit 'em, in the end.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast