WidenersRepackboxLoad DataTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of ditching LEE Dies

Thinking of ditching LEE Dies

I appreciate the lower price especially for oddball stuff like the Martini Henry dies and 8x56r, etc. But I bought a deluxe 45 colt die set from Lee and like most of their other dies, it really over works the brass. Internal neck diameter of .445!! My 255 grain RNFP's are sized to .452. That's quite a squeeze. The die set does come with a .450 expander which is nice, but the initial sizing IMO still works the brass too much.

I used to be satisfied with their dies when I first began reloading as a teen but through the years as I have learned and refined my reloading practices there really are much better options and well worth the added expense. Edited for tone, sounded like I was really bashing LEE. They do make some great stuff but I guess some sets are better than others...
    Last edited by Gunfreak25; 07-17-2017 at 04:33 PM.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure." -Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Grand Master

I can guess which members are going to pile on in this thread

I edited my post for tone, don't want to step on Lee's or anyone toes. Just a little disappointed with this die set. Hell for $40 bucks I should probably just shut up.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure." -Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Man
    I had this issue with Lee .44 dies and lapped them out with diamond lapping paste to a size that I was happy with. I tend to think that this is more the result of the difficulty of working with carbide and different chamber tolerances rather than a problem specific to Lee. I suspect that an average customer would be more unhappy with a die set that didn't size enough versus one that sized too much.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gunfreak25 View Post
    I edited my post for tone, don't want to step on Lee's or anyone toes. Just a little disappointed with this die set. Hell for $40 bucks I should probably just shut up.
    These threads always go one way. Maybe I'm lucky, but all of my Lee dies are in spec. Or should I say w/in a spec that l'm happy w/. Minimal run out and results on target that are good are what I care about.

I would not be happy w/ the brass sizing down that much. Go through the online warranty claim on their site. I've had good luck w/ it the few times I've had to use it. Hopefully their response is the one you want to hear.

Many reloaders as they develop their skills and knowledge become more sophisticated and discriminating about their equipment. Your experience is not unique.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master

come on now, dont dare say anything bad about lee, or you will get all the lee basher basher's riled up! LOL

Boolit Master
    Could you have received a 45 acp sizing die by error?

Super Moderator

I still have a few Lee dies that are working just fine. Mostly though, I have switched them over to RCBS and Redding. Not Lee bashing at all, it's simply a matter of "you get what you pay for". I have donated many of my Lee dies to new reloaders just getting started, so I'm sure they are still being used and it's its for a good cause.

I believe I would have to agree with the 'level of experience' thought. I find as time goes on I am more and more inclined to make my own dies, expanders, mandrels, etc., because no one has exactly what I want, and it takes just about as long to modify something as it does to make it from scratch.

Not an option for everyone, I realize.

I do believe that you get what you pay for mostly.

Personally all of my dies are Lee except an old .270 2 die set. Which I don't use, bought it to reload for dad's deer rifle but he preferred factory ammo.

There are a few minor annoyances here and there. But if when I started I had been forced to buy all RCBS or other dies I would load for half as many calibers. So IMO it is a trade off.

The choice is yours, know yourself, your needs, choose wisely.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I like my Lee dies in general that I have - both pistol and rifle BUT, when I added 45 Colt, I talked with another reloader who had the same issue as you with his set of Lees - and I'm not saying that to slam or bad mouth Lee. I only have one 45 Colt and I only FL resize my brass when it is new (such as Starline). After that, I neck size - and I'm using there same boolit that you are. I load with a hodge lodge of different dies for the 45 Colt mainly because I picked up the sizing die, expanding die, seating, crimp, etc. separately. I use an old Lyman AA carbide sizing die - and because I de-prime in a separate operation with a Lee universal de-priming die - I don't have to FL size due to de-priming in the same operation. I picked up my Lyman AA carbide sizing die off of flea bay at a very reasonable price.

If you like the Lee dies in general other than the sizing die - you might want to see if you can find a FL sizing die, Lyman, RCBS, etc. and go with that and sell your Lee sizing die to offset the cost? Just a thought.

Boolit Master

I have been slowly replacing my Lee dies to
    RCBS or Redding over the years Lee just reminds me of Harbor Freight tools they work but there are better out there
    Last edited by LUCKYDAWG13; 07-17-2017 at 09:55 PM.
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master
    The Redding dual ring sizer is a spendy but worthwhile upgrade to an otherwise good die set.

For once I did not buy Lee dies for my 300 Blackout. I picked up a set of Hornady new dimension dies, Nice and all but they leave a bad ridge on all the lead bullets.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Boolit Grand Master

I use some lee dies and for what your wanting with the 45 colt I would modify the die a little and use it. But if its carbide that's a bigger issue then to modify. At work I had access to an ID grinder and diamond wheels and a plunger edm so carbide was no problem. For a lot of my rifle I have neck bushing dies, redding or ones I modified to use neck bushings from standard dies. Almost all factory dies work brass small due to varying wall thickness and the expander bell die opens it up to closer to correct as your Lees are doing. Maybe not to the extent your are but they all work small and open up.

Boolit Master

The 45 Colt dies are the only ones I've had a issue with and it was just the FL Sizer, so I picked up a RCBS sizer. I also found out from a thread here that 45 Colt is slightly tapered and Rossi have an oversized chamber which exacerbated the problem
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

I think its a great idea. Put them in the pay it forward forum and new guys could get into the hobby with the stuff you no longer want to use.

I don't buy expensive dies for common cartridges. I also don't believe in one color of tools. I get what is best for the particular job, and that usually means specific tools from different manufacturers.

What I really don't like is paying for a premium tool, only to find out it is not as good as the cheap one I could have bought from Harbor Freight or ?.

Lee dies are made nicely and I personally have not had any problems with them. They also make some dies that are the best out there or the only ones out there. The Collet Style Neck Sizer and Collet Style Crimp Dies are the best there is. They are also the only ones there is. Wonder why?

For doing mass production like on .223 cases the Collet Crimp Die saves so much time as case length does affect a Roll Crimp. It doesn't affect the Collet Die at all.

Yesterday and the day before I made videos of my hand press loading .44 Mags and .308's I used a variety of dies for each one.

With the .44's I used a C&H Sizing die, a Lee Ram Prime, A C&H Expander/Flare with a Lee Funnel on top a C&H Seater and a Pacific Seating Die with the stem removed to Roll crimp the cases.

For .303 British I use a Lee Collet Neck Sizer, Lee Powder die, Lee Bullet Seater and either a RCBS Seating die to do the roll crimp Cast Boolits or a collet die for jacketed bullets. No one set of dies had everything I needed.

I use a Lee FCD for de-bulging .40 S&W cases which cost me $12. I returned the Redding De-bulging die that cost me $65 because the knurling was double struck and looked like ship! I am an EXPERT KNURLER and so I do know the difference, and this is not the kind of Workmanship that I expected from the outfit that claims to be the best there is in Reloading Equipment. None of their tools have impressed me all that much, and I don't see any big difference over RCBS or others, except generally they are twice as much.

It is pointless to spend the extra $ just to get a name brand when it isn't really any better. When it actually is better then sure. But you really have to know the difference,,, and many people do not.

Some people compare my Hand Press to the HDS Press or even the Lee Hand Press. The HDS press was similar to mine and the price was similar at first. However the Lee Press is only $50 or less, but it won't stand up by itself and neither would the HDS tool.

So you have to ask yourself,,, "will the BPM tool be worth the extra money to me?" The quality is obviously above the other two, and the "tactile gratification" (feels good in your hand) is definitely there, and it works really well, and will last along time, so those are all good reasons. I even think it looks better, but I may be prejudiced.

But just buying something because it is the most expensive thing of it's type out there is, IMHO,,, Stupid!

You don't always get what you thought you paid for.

So you need to kind of educate yourself when buying pretty much anything nowadays.

When you do get what you paid for it is satisfying and generally can be considered a good investment. You soon forget the price.

My Dad always said,,, "Buy the best and only cry once." The thing I always debated is what actually constitutes the "best?"

The price shouldn't be the only defining factor. The "value in use" should be! IMO

That said you should all check out the new videos of the Hand Press. There's a thread on this page with the addresses.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 07-18-2017 at 05:53 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

I have to agree price can put you in a different league but sometimes the price is really steep to move up a rather modest amount.
    Redding makes a sizing die for 45 colt at over $100, and RCBS makes one for $34, and that entire Lee set probably ran around $40. I plink with 45 colt, or .38 or .357 then I'm not going to have a reason to drop $100 on a single die. Even if I overwork the brass compared to ideal amount the brass will still last a long calendar time because it doesn't get reloaded that often. If I was shooting competitive cowboy action shooting and a typical week saw me firing a whole lot of practice rounds the brass would wear faster and might warrant a more expensive sizing die. I can't think of any reason I would spend $100 on a single die. I just wouldn't get enough perceived value to warrant the extra cost. Too many other goodies I might buy with those extra bucks.

I would contact the seller about the warranty from Lee. I have only done so once but Titan contacted Lee and CC'd me on the email, I called Lee after that email from Titan and they sent me a replacement die. I didn't get called or contacted for over a week so I went ahead and called Lee, the Lee people were friendly and helpful. I just think they should have contacted me before then. I would note that shipping was also free BUT people have reported that if you order anything else to ship along with the warranty part then shipping is charged.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast