Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationWideners
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad Data
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: Help, what do I have?

Help, what do I have?

Got 20 or so of these from a friend, have no idea what they consist of.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	alloy.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	199849

it has 11A15A BODY stamped in it. Is very soft and pliable .

Appreciate the help.

Banned

it's lead and Tin.
    how much tin I don't know, but anywhere from 5-30% was the common grades.
    you could pour a bullet from this and from pure lead and weigh them and do the percentage math.

thanks

what is the % of weight for tin as compared to lead? that would be really helpful
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma Rebel View Post
    what is the % of weight for tin as compared to lead? that would be really helpful
    Density of Lead near room tempreture is 11.34 g/cc, Tin is 7.265 g/cc, so Tin is 7.625/11.34 or just a smidge over 64% the density of Lead. Any Antimony in the alloy will throw off your calculation, it is 6.697 g/cc.
    "It is wrong always, everywhere, and for everyone to believe anything on insufficient evidence."
    -W. K. Clifford "The Ethics of Belief"

"They hate you if you're clever, and they despise a fool."
    -John Lennon "A Working Class Hero"

My first thought was "Body" solder. I think I have a bunch of thin rods that are stamped 11A15A will have to check. I know I had that stuff tested so if it has the same numbers I'll know what it might well be.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    My first thought was "Body" solder. I think I have a bunch of thin rods that are stamped 11A15A will have to check. I know I had that stuff tested so if it has the same numbers I'll know what it might well be.
    That would be much appreciated..

The stuff I have was gunned as 5% Sn only difference is I have 11A15A "H" after it rather than "Body"

Pretty sure I used some as a 1/2 part of the plain lead in 50/50 plain/COWW to give me about 1.25% Sn for revolver bullet casting. 1 part 5% solder + 1 part plain lead + 2 parts COWW. Would have been .38 or .45 colt bullets.

Body leading you used a wood paddle or block to shape the lead that you used a torch on to keep at a temperature that had it like putty instead of flowing liquid. Low tin meant a wider temp range where it would be "plastic" rather than flowing. I do recall using some higher tin solder and acid to "tin" the metal for bonding, sort of rubbed the solder on it with some heat like a crayon to cover the steel with a shine of solder. then worked the other lead into the seam or dent over the tinned surface. Bondo putty was not noted for standing up to motorcycle vibrations, lead properly bonded would.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Thanks, a little more help, very much appreciated.