Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Lee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Wideners

Thread: 1873 Winchester Value

Boolit Master

1873 Winchester Value

Gents,
    BLUF ---- I've an opportunity to buy an 1873 Winchester rifle (44-40) for $850.
    Now I have everybody's attention ..... I'll be getting pictures tomorrow but all I know up front is that it's a complete rifle except - it's missing the buttstock (and all hardware for it). The owner says it's in "ok" condition and his cursory internet search of the serial# shows it's 1899 mfgr (bore supposedly "ok" too).
    So as I'm naïve to Winchester values, my question to you guys is: if pics confirm an "ok" condition '73 Winchester (again, w/no buttstock), is the asking price too steep? I have no interest in owning guns I can't shoot so getting into shooting condition would be a priority but I don't want to be underwater with the rifle either. Just looking for some guidance.
    Thanks
    Semper Fi

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Get an independent appraisal. Don't know where you are in NoVa, but Cliff Sophia at C.S. Arms in Upperville would be a good fellow to show the gun to if seller will agree. If the gun is complete, with no missing or bubba'ed parts, and functions correctly, with a shootable bore, price is about right, but having a gunsmith reline the barrel, (if needed) , making the most common mechanical repairs, replacing the buttstock and finishing the wood, WITHOUT refinishing the metal would easily double the price of the gun.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master

Quite honestly the parts may be worth that but going the repair route could easily cost more than the gun will ever be worth. A restored gun will never be worth near what an original gun is worth. If you don't mind doing the work yourself it's possible you could have a good shooter someday.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

The stocks run $250-300 on Ebay, wait for a good one. Most of the time without the hardware, so you may be looking at another hundred or so for buttplate, screws, etc.

If you have to have the barrel lined, about another $375-400.

If you can find a decent whole one with a good barrel for the same money, $1500-1600, you might be better off going that way.

I have one in .38-40 made in 1889, and I really do enjoy shooting it. Hopefully you reload, because you may find the price of ammo excessive otherwise. Mine got me restarted. lol

Boolit Master
    The bore is likely heavily pitted. Get a good look at it, and make sure it's cleaned as pitting can easily be covered by grime.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Boolit Buddy
    "OK" in assessing a Winchester doesn't mean much. It may be "OK" to use as a club when the Zombies attack--but make certain you swing the fences!

Sounds as if you are near buying a headache. Where is the original stock? Why isn't it with the rifle? You can buy another stock which may or may not fit your tangs. Are you going to try to match the grain/color of the two stocks?

If you don't get to hold the rifle and inspect it (and know what your are looking at) it might be best for you to keep your money. For double that price, you can bring home a nice '73. One that will function and feel good shooting without the unknown of purchasing the non-stocked rifle.

And speaking of using the rifle as a club, if the stock broke from blunt-forcing it over someone's skull, maybe the tangs are a bit bent--not good. Maybe a horse rolled on it--still needs a close inspection.

Should the rifle prove to be a beautiful specimen of '73 glory--excellent bore, dandy finish, set trigger, mechanically sound, or a missing "One of One Hundred," then toss the seller the money, grab the rifle, and run for the door!