WidenersLoad DataInline FabricationLee Precision
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Repackbox

Thread: Time and How It Applies to Our Shooting.......

Boolit Master

Time and How It Applies to Our Shooting.......

The post about lock time and having issues with it got me to thinking and so I called my mentor to get his thoughts. Here is the general idea of what he talked to me about. We are concerned with "time" when shooting a muzzle loader in the following areas and I'll start at the top and go down (so to speak).

- When your brain decides you have seen the target you want to shoot and tells you "hey pull the trigger". X
    - The time the signal takes to travel down your arm to the trigger finger and the finger moves. X
    - The set trigger time or how long the time is when you touch the trigger and it trips. A
    - The time for the rear trigger to contact the sear. A
    - The time for the sear to trip the hammer so it starts moving and this is what many people call "lock time". A
    - Time for the hammer to fall and ignite the percussion cap or cause a spark if using a flint lock. A
    - Time for the spark to travel through the powder barrel or hole in the snail or up the bottom if an under hammer. B
    - Time for the powder to ignite and start the ball moving down the barrel. B
    - Time for ball/slug to travel the barrel length and be on it's way. B

Items marked with an "X" are up to us as shooters and if you are an old guy like me, well not much we can do here!
    Items marked with an "A" can be adjusted, worked on (previous post), lubed, modified, ETC so the time is reduced.
    Items marked with an "B" can be adjusted by using different powders, primers, ETC

Any thoughts?

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    If you ever shoot one of my guns, and find out what a properly set up single trigger is like, you will never go back to a set trigger.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Shooting these antiques slows everything down, allowing us to savor and enjoy the process. No more blasting off 100 rounds in 14 minutes and calling it a day.
    "He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God." - John 3:18

Boolit Master
    A properly setup single trigger is great to shoot. When I bought my Rolling Block with an original action that had been made into a target rifle with a Badger barrel and such it had a terrible trigger. I took it to Doug Knoell who is out San Diego master gunsmith (also makes a fine bullet lube) and he spent several hours on it and when done had a 2# pull, no creep and was fantastic. When I later on bought my Pedersoli Gibbs which was supposed to have a 2# pull but did not feel real great I did the same thing and it turned out fantastic. Most muzzle loaders I see for sale now days on Gun Broker have double set triggers and generally are not setup very well? I have two rifles, one with a single set trigger which is great and a chunk gun from Wisconsin that has a set trigger made by Ron Long which is even better than the first ones I had, smooth a silk.

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    If you ever shoot one of my guns, and find out what a properly set up single trigger is like, you will never go back to a set trigger.
    I've got to agree with Waksupi. A single trigger properly set up in a MZ works great and there is no need for doubles. Watch duelist1954's video series on building a Bucks County Rifle. He shows how he installed a single trigger and got a clean, crisp 3# pull.