RepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Load DataInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Lee Precision

Thread: T/C Cherokee Issue and question

Boolit Mold

Question T/C Cherokee Issue and question

I posted this on another thread but got no response so I am trying again. I recently acquired a .45 Cherokee in mint condition, except that the lock pulls REALLY hard which, if your thumb slips, might be a bad thing. I called T/C and asked, was told the spring should loosen up with use but it hasn't. There is no rust or anything, just a really stiff lockspring. Thoughts? Replace it if so with what? Thanks in advance for advice.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Have you checked to see if it might be binding in the lock mortise and the mortise needs to be relieved a little?

Remove the lock and try cocking the hammer - if it cocks just as hard as when in the stock - then probably is a stiff spring - you say it is in mint condition so I'm guessing it has had very little use - it just may need to be used to loosen up some.

If it is binding in the lock mortise - you will need to carefully remove a little wood for clearance. Use some inletting dye and coat the spring, etc. and re-install in the lock mortise and attach with the lock plate screw. Don't over tighten the screw (which some have a tendency to do) - just snug it. The inletting dye will show where it needs to be relieved if necessary. If you don't have any inletting dye - a heavy grease will transfer just *** well to show you where it is tight.

I'm not that familiar with TC locks but this can sometimes be a problem on a traditional style lock with a flat V mainspring. Even a rise in humidity and a slight swelling of the wood can cause problems.

bubba will probably be along shortly and I believe he has quite a bit of experience with the TCs.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntryx View Post

I posted this on another thread but got no response so I am trying again.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...y-trigger-pull!!!

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    A quick way to check if the lock is binding is by loosening the lock mounting screws one or two turns and see if it works better. I've had the hammer drag on the stock as it was cocked which was an easy fix. Luck with it and let us know what you find

Boolit Master

I would disassemble the lock totally and make sure it is clean there is a spring and plunger that rust freezes in TC locks and when cleaned and lubed everything is good again.

Boolit Mold
    OK Thanks to all I will try the suggestions and get back to you on it.