Load DataRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Reloading Everything

Thread: Gamo Red Fire, and Rockets vs. Crosman Hollow Points penetration test

Gamo Red Fire, and Rockets vs. Crosman Hollow Points penetration test

I bought some Gamo Red Fire pellets in .177 and some Gamo Rockets in .22 cal. today.

The Red Fires seemed about as accurate in my 1377 as Crosman hollow points at 20 yds. Both were grouping 1/2" or less at that range.

In my 392 the Gamo Rockets would put 2 or three cutting each other and then 1 or 2 about 3/4 to 1" away at 20 yds.
    The Crosman .22 cal Premiers in hollow point and Piranahs were 1/2" or less.

On to penetration:
    On a steel dog food can at 40 yds., both the .177 Red Fires and the Crosman HP's would penetrate one side of the can and put a crack in the other side, but neither would exit.
    The polymer tip of the Red Fires were bent badly to one side.
    The HP's seemed to put a bigger dent and crack in the offside of the can.

I then set up a kiln dried poplar board(soft hardwood) at 20 yds.
    1. The Red Fire's had about 1/8" of the skirt sticking out of the board.

2. The Crosman HP's had about 1/16" skirt sticking out.

Considering the Red Fire is a bit longer pellet, plus has the polymer tip sticking out also, it penetrated slightly more than the HP.
    Had it been a pine board, i believe both pellets would have buried their heads about 1/2" deep into the wood.

Of course the 392 gave better results at 20 yds.
    1. The Crosman Piranahs sunk the back of the skirt about 3/8" into the board. The head had to be a bit over 1/2" deep.

2. Crosman HP's put the back of the skirt about a 1/4" into the wood. The head had to be close to a 1/2" deep.
    Pretty obvious both of these pellets would have blown through a pine board at that range, or at least very close to exiting.

3. The Gamo Rocket only went in about 1/8" past the skirt??
    I was surprised. Of course the BB may be a bit deeper, as i didn't try to dig it out to see.

Of course the results with the BB in the Rocket and the polymer tip on the Red Fire may give different results on game, but i'm sure not seeing any advantage in them over the Crosman's on steel cans and hardwood.
    Today, at least on "hard" targets, the everday cheaper, run of the mill Crosman's won out.

I would have tried the Gamo Rockets on steel cans at 50 yds.,
    but with only 1" accuracy at 20 yds., i didn't even try for distance with them.
    Besides, i already know the Piranah's will blow through both sides at 50 yds., and the HP's will crack the offside.
    The Piranah's must be a bit harder alloy than the HP's?

I forgot to try my .22 cal. Gamo Magnum Pointed pellets on the board...oh well, something to do tommorrow evening.
    I do know they will blow through a steel dog food can at 50 yds. and not even move the can.

Boolit Buddy
    Have a try with plain lead balls. Penetrated deepest in my tests. Followed by BSA (gamo) Storm, that might be the same as Beeman pointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Beard View Post
    Have a try with plain lead balls. Penetrated deepest in my tests. Followed by BSA (gamo) Storm, that might be the same as Beeman pointed.
    Thanks,
    i've been wondering about the round balls and need to order some.

Could i ask what you were shooting at to test penetration on? How far do they shoot accurately for you?
    If they shoot well for me, that's something i could get a mould for, which would be a good thing.

Boolit Master
    I noticed that when I fired one of the older black coated GAMO lead BBs at sheet metal after firing a steel BB at the same sheet that the edges of the hole made by the lead BB was very uniform without the ragged edge and cracking of the metal of the steel BB.